SPORTS BALL!!!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

Unless the other person is a Packers fan, in which case you can fight them over that. We're supposed to be coming together, not yelling at each other! :,(

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
tippy2k2 said:

Unless the other person is a Packers fan, in which case you can fight them over that. We're supposed to be coming together, not yelling at each other! :,(
No one is fighting, let alone yelling. This is actually one of the most calm debates i've ever seen on this site.

All I'm pointing out is how highly unlikely I think it is for modern athletes to be breaking and setting new records when the previous records were set by athletes we know in hindsight were on performance enhancing drugs and that those self same modern athletes are not on anything themselves.
And that these same athletes are competing against athletes from countries we know use drugs, China and Russia, and are still beating them.
Simone Biles is a uniquely gifted athlete who has trained with the best coaches at the best facilities the US has to offer, and part of that training almost certainly involved enhancement drugs and/or blood doping. You can't get as good as she is, ie better than athletes we know are on chemicals, without being on something herself.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Xprimentyl said:
Smithnikov said:
I'm a janitor for a high school. In the South.

So football season is NOT a pleasant thing to realize.
I?m oft responsible for picking up a 14-year-old 6 foot tall +200 pound boy after football practice 4 times a week in North Texas in the dead of Summer where temperatures routinely reach +100 very humid degrees; I can confirm that the stank of single teenager coated in boiled testosterone and sweat is nigh unbearable and I cannot, nay, WILL not imagine what an entire locker room of them smells like let alone will I imagine cleaning up after them. My sincerest condolences to you, sir.
Locker room?! For our sportsball demigod chosen ones? Ha!

They got a state of the art field house, baby, that they do dick all to keep up, so guess which department has to keep the place from being a complete pig sty.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Here is the obvious reason for the height of Simone Biles:

Like Mother Like Daughter. This should put to rest any ideas of stunted growth. Looks like her shoulders may actually stand taller than her Moms. She is standing all relaxed with her knees bent, her Mom is standing straight and Simone's shoulder appears slightly higher than her Mothers. You know her Mom has to be crazy proud of everything Simone was able to accomplish.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
tippy2k2 said:

Honestly, I am not all that in to football and such, but I can tell you that no matter who Philadelphia Eagles play I am ecstatic when they lose. When I lived in an apartment right after college I had these awful eagle's fan neighbors who would send their kids out to bang pots and pans and blow horns and scream every time the eagles scored and now I hate their team and all eagles fans forever for it.

Of course I also hope OU always loses too but that was because they always made jack asses of themselves on Texas OU weakened and I am a Longhorn.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Lil devils x said:

Like Mother Like Daughter. This should put to rest any ideas of stunted growth. Looks like her shoulders may actually stand taller than her Moms. She is standing all relaxed with her knees bent, her Mom is standing straight and Simone's shoulder appears slightly higher than her Mothers. You know her Mom has to be crazy proud of everything Simone was able to accomplish.
That's her adoptive mother (biological grandma). Her height's been affected by a bunch of things which include the Ritalin and I'm 99% sure hormone supplements as well. If she "roided" she must've done it as a teen.

It's not as simple as that, obviously not, and if you want to be believe the very top level of sports is just talent and practicing a lot, you go on ahead. That's not the framework of the people who get these talents to the top. Even if the "shady" stuff is only 5% of the total package they won't skip doing it to get the final competitive edge.

Honestly I don't know why I let myself get dragged into this... Dammit, I knew from the moment I saw the thread...

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Silentpony said:
You can't get as good as she is, ie better than athletes we know are on chemicals, without being on something herself.
While I can't say I disagree with you, you're not talking about sports itself but rather about performance enhancements. Go and take a look at the gymnastics performances of the 70s. You don't need drugs to do better than they did. The technical ceiling is still out there for a lot of sports and your way of discussing about it only applies to weightlifting and maybe track running.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Silentpony said:
All I'm pointing out is how highly unlikely I think it is for modern athletes to be breaking and setting new records when the previous records were set by athletes we know in hindsight were on performance enhancing drugs and that those self same modern athletes are not on anything themselves.
Have you not noticed that kids are much bigger than they used to be? It's like they've all got thyroid problems.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
McElroy said:
Lil devils x said:

That's her adoptive mother (biological grandma). Her height's been affected by a bunch of things which include the Ritalin and I'm 99% sure hormone supplements as well. If she "roided" she must've done it as a teen.

It's not as simple as that, obviously not, and if you want to be believe the very top level of sports is just talent and practicing a lot, you go on ahead. That's not the framework of the people who get these talents to the top. Even if the "shady" stuff is only 5% of the total package they won't skip doing it to get the final competitive edge.

Honestly I don't know why I let myself get dragged into this... Dammit, I knew from the moment I saw the thread...
Guess what? I am the same height as my grandmother as well. You don't find it the least bit off that you are 99% certain about something you do not have some serious hard evidence for? I am not even 99% certain of a diagnosis even when I have tests indicating such in hand because there exists the possibility of false positive and human error and yet you are throwing out unfounded accusations without evidence that to be the case at all. Yes, some Ritalin users are slightly shorter and weight slightly less, but there are a number of other factors that affect that as well, including but not limited to when she was diagnosed and put on Ritalin, her daily calories spent vs calories used and numerous other factors. I don't think anyone tried to " keep her short" to improve her chances in gymnastics and I have seen zero evidence to suggest such so why take away from this girls hard earned accomplishments, when she so apparently deserves them.

There are plenty of girls her height that could not even remotely come close to what she has done. I was in gymnastics my entire life and I can attest it takes far more than being the right size and shape to do what she has done. Sure I held school records, went to state, but I sure as hell could not do what she did. So much of gymnastics is mental as well as physical. She is amazing and I see no reason to detract from her sheer abundance of talent with cynical unfounded speculation.

CheetoDust_v1legacy

Jun 10, 2017
Silentpony said:
There's a reason sports science is a whole field of research now. I'm not saying the top level athletes are definitely not doping but it's incorrect to say that all other things are equal. We have a better understanding of and access to quality nutrition for athletes and we have better training methods and a better understanding of physiology and how to train for specific results. There are also natural, legal supplements that make it easier for athletes to get important nutrients without having to consume 8000 calories a day.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
My sister is swimming in the FINA Masters is South Korea. Which is not professional or high profile so she doesn't need to be on drugs or anything as an entry requirement.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Another day, another example of people having to get off on cynically dragging other people's achievements down to their level to feel better about themselves.

I cannot help but wonder if Simone would be under the same cynical assumptious (assumptive would be correct term, but less pleasant) scrutiny of she were male. It's a typical hurdle, especially from guys with little female exposure/influence in their lives who present rather simplistic views towards females. Though it's all just coincidence this time, I'm suure.

Anyway, a preference of sport to add would be the extortion of sound to synchronise with emotion, a dying carnival of aching memory materialised through vibration. An evolutionary anomaly given refuge within imagination.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Another day, another example of people having to get off on cynically dragging other people's achievements down to their level to feel better about themselves.

I cannot help but wonder if Simone would be under the same cynical assumptious (assumptive would be correct term, but less pleasant) scrutiny of she were male. It's a typical hurdle, especially from guys with little female exposure/influence in their lives who present rather simplistic views towards females. Though it's all just coincidence this time, I'm suure.
Well, that and many many documented instances of performing enhancing drugs or other cheating in professional sports, to the extent that it's hardly unusual to assume it likely (though perhaps not probable) of everyone involved nowdays.

Pick any professional athlete of note currently active at random and prove they are cheating, I'd not be surprised.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Thaluikhain said:
Well, that and many many documented instances of performing enhancing drugs or other cheating in professional sports, to the extent that it's hardly unusual to assume it likely (though perhaps not probable) of everyone involved nowdays.

Pick any professional athlete of note currently active at random and prove they are cheating, I'd not be surprised.
And you could swap all that around with terms towards the documented attitude of countless sheltered (and otherwise) males towards females in certain professions. Pick any of those males today and prove such preconceptions colouring their behaviours, I'd not be surprised.

The point being we can all play the assumption game here. We can all assume the shittiest without repercussion.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland

"You wouldn't say so if you weren't a misogynist." How original. Y'know, as a lost cause, when I think about this and the conversations I've had about it (yes-yes, derailing a little here), trying to have an honest discussion without jumping straight to "guys hating women and minorities again" yields a better conversation 100% of the time. Online is different from face-to-face, but still.

OT: Watching the World Orienteering Championships. Satellite tracking the racers' paths is always fun to watch. Too bad Finland's glory days are over for now.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I once had the distinct pleasure of being flipped onto the mat by an Australian Olympic Judoka at a seminar for my Martial Arts club. Fuckin' silkiest smooth throw I've ever experienced in my life, barely felt like I'd moved at all until I went thud on the ground.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
McElroy said:

"You wouldn't say so if you weren't a misogynist." How original. Y'know, as a lost cause, when I think about this and the conversations I've had about it (yes-yes, derailing a little here), trying to have an honest discussion without jumping straight to "guys hating women and minorities again" yields a better conversation 100% of the time. Online is different from face-to-face, but still.

OT: Watching the World Orienteering Championships. Satellite tracking the racers' paths is always fun to watch. Too bad Finland's glory days are over for now.

Evidently it's ok for you to make assumptions about people you don't know, but not others when it's directed at you. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
McElroy said:

Evidently it's ok for you to make assumptions about people you don't know, but not others when it's directed at you. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up.
There was never any doubt about the self-righteousness oozing from your posts. I offered constructive criticism on the ever so slight chance that somebody else who hasn't yet completely bought into your mindset might take a moment to think about it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Ok...maybe I tried too light heartedly to push this thread back in the right direction and I need to be a bit more forceful.

This is SUPPOSED to be a fun thread about your favorite sports ish. Not a thread to argue about steroids or politics or about how everyone is secretly a cheater.

Don't make me turn this car around! Then no one gets ice cream!

Except Packer fans, they don't get any ice cream no matter what.