Spyro Reignited Trilogy Announced

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
After numerous rumours and leaks, Activision have officially announced the remake for the original Spyro trilogy: the 'Reignited Trilogy', for PS4 and XBox One, with a release date of September 21st, 2018.

The website can be found here. [http://www.spyrothedragon.com/]

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
So it's really the age of platformers' renaissance attempt...

At least it makes way more sense than trying to bring back Bubsy (and I don't know if that last game could count as even trying).

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
*phew* Okay good, Spyro himself doesn't look like dogshit.

So September is going to have Spider-Man and a Spyro trilogy remaster... damn.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
I knew the remaster was coming from the hints Activision was leaving after the N. Sane trilogy came out, but it still feels good now that it's official and it looks good. Although there's two concerns I have, firstly, voice acting, will they get Tom Kenny back to voice act or is he too busy nowadays. Secondly, music, from the trailer it sounds like the original OST will be remastered as well, but I wonder if they're get Stewart Copeland to help since he's the reason why the music was so good in the first place.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Now can we please do this to Jak and Daxtar and Ratchet and Clank please?

And also incorporate Jak X Combat Racing and Ratchet Deadlocked/Gladiator aswell?

Crash N.Sane Trilogy wasted the opportunity to not include Crash Team Racing.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kitsune Hunter said:
I knew the remaster was coming from the hints Activision was leaving after the N. Sane trilogy came out, but it still feels good now that it's official and it looks good. Although there's two concerns I have, firstly, voice acting, will they get Tom Kenny back to voice act or is he too busy nowadays. Secondly, music, from the trailer it sounds like the original OST will be remastered as well, but I wonder if they're get Stewart Copeland to help since he's the reason why the music was so good in the first place.
I'd say it doesn't sound like Tom Kenny from this trailer, but I heard in a developer interview that they did get him back for all three games.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
first Crash and now Spyro too? AND i don't have buy a PS4 to play either of them?

Amazing!!!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Please don't mess with the hitboxes again,

Seriously, that was just the worst in N.Sane trilogy.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, no pc release though. Shame since I would totally get this, assuming it was on steam and assuming its not as bad as the ratchet and clank remaster.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Hopefully it's good and, you know, COMPLETE...not some loot box fiesta.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
On the one hand, it's nice to see non-Skylanders Spyro (though I actually like what I've seen of the Skylanders cartoon).

On the other hand, am I the only one uneasy about the Spyro/Crash remasters? As in, not the remasters themselves per se, but the fact that they did have games after their original trilogies, but they seem to have been forgotten. I mean, Spyro himself got a second trilogy effectively via the Legend of Spyro reboot.

I dunno, just curious as to whether there's life for these characters beyond remasters (outside Skylanders).

Tanis said:
Hopefully it's good and, you know, COMPLETE...not some loot box fiesta.
Well, Spyro's already a lootbox game - those damn gems are everywhere. :p

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Touche.

However, this could be a case where you're required to buy a 'silver bar...erm, GEMS' to unlock all gems.

I mean, it IS the thing to do.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
On the other hand, am I the only one uneasy about the Spyro/Crash remasters? As in, not the remasters themselves per se, but the fact that they did have games after their original trilogies, but they seem to have been forgotten. I mean, Spyro himself got a second trilogy effectively via the Legend of Spyro reboot..
Yes.

no one cares about any of the Crash & Spyro games after the PS1 era. all post PS1 era Crash and Spyro stuff ranged from being mediocre to shit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Yoshi178 said:
no one cares about any of the Crash & Spyro games after the PS1 era. all post PS1 era Crash and Spyro stuff ranged from being mediocre to shit.
Depending on how you define "care," it isn't hard to find discussions of the post-PS1 games on YouTube for both series' PS1 games. The Legend of Spyro doesn't have much discussion, I'll grant you, but at ff.net, Legend of Spyro has far more entries than OS Spyro (885 vs. 117). Now we can debate how much stock one should put in that figure (since the Escapist has debated using ff.net as a metric before), but there's evidently fans of LoS.

Also, on the subject of quality, disagree. Enter the Dragonfly is pretty mediocre, A New Beginning was simply average. Whatever problems LoS had (I can't really say it had problems, just that it was a pretty basic platformer), it dramatically improved the storytelling aspect.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
I dunno, just curious as to whether there's life for these characters beyond remasters (outside Skylanders).
There isn't.

We have as much chance of Capcom going back to making classic Resident Evil as we do-.. whoever making another Crash or Spyro game.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
Hawki said:
There isn't.

We have as much chance of Capcom going back to making classic Resident Evil as we do-.. whoever making another Crash or Spyro game.
Who's actually asking for classic Resident Evil though?

Also depends on what you mean by "classic," since I thought RE7 was "classic" RE. Likewise, Resident Evil games are still being made, including (supposedly) the RE2 remake.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Who's actually asking for classic Resident Evil though?

Also depends on what you mean by "classic," since I thought RE7 was "classic" RE. Likewise, Resident Evil games are still being made, including (supposedly) the RE2 remake.
When I say 'classic' I mean the static camera/prerendered background type games. And my point wasn't whether or not people were asking for it, but that it's a game design mindset that developers don't seem to have anymore. I doubt Capcom is able to return to that design philosophy regarding Resident Evil, and I think the same is true for the Crash and Spyro games of old (although I never considered Crash to ever really be good).

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Spyro is personally more appealing than Crash in design and gameplay from what brief 'n blurred memory remains. Perhaps if I pretend to harbour some childhood nostalgia, I won't look too suspicious or pitiful playing this little girl's game as an overgrown mammalan. All I need to do is avoid posting these thoughts on any public forums whatsoever for this duplicitous chicanery to continue unhindered.