Square Enix Accidentally Breaks Contract on Final Fantasy Exclusive DLC

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Square Enix Accidentally Breaks Contract on Final Fantasy Exclusive DLC

Square Enix recently released some cosmetic DLC for Final Fantasy XIII - which, unfortunately, wasn't supposed to be available to the public.

Exclusive DLC incentives are nothing new - heck, about half the games on Steam come with Team Fortress 2 bonus items - so you'd think that publishers would have the whole process pretty much locked down. Well, think again. A piece of cosmetic DLC for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII replaces Lightning's outfit with the iconic Aerith costume from Final Fantasy VII. This DLC was meant to be an exclusive unlock for buyers of a specific strategy guide, but Square Enix released the costume to the general public by mistake.

The original deal between Square Enix and Japanese publisher Shueisha would have restricted the Aerith DLC to buyers of the V Jump strategy guide for Lightning Returns. However, Aerith's outfit was only one of three pieces of cosmetic DLC Square Enix published last week in Japan. The other two costumes (Cloud's and Yuna's) were sold for 400 yen each, but Aerith's costume was mistakenly added to the store for the same price. The blunder was noticed a few days later, and all three items were pulled from the online store.

Square Enix tweeted an official explanation and apology last night, and resumed sales of the other DLC costumes. "This DLC was available as an exclusive bonus to be released with a publication by Shueisha, but has been sold due to our mistake," the (translated) tweet says. "We apologize for the inconvenience to everyone and more than anything to our customers and to Shueisha." It remains to be seen whether this slip-up will have further repercussions for Square Enix.

Source: Dual Shockers [http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/12/26/square-enix-sells-lightning-returns-aerith-costume-by-mistake-breaks-exclusivity-deal-apologizes/]

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
A piece of cosmetic DLC for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII replaces Lightning's outfit with the iconic Aerith costume from Final Fantasy VII. This DLC was meant to be an exclusive unlock for buyers of a specific strategy guide, but Square Enix released the costume to the general public by mistake.
I just want to requote this, because even entirely on its own it's fairly horrifying summary of what Squeenix has done to Final Fantasy.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
You know what's completely irrational of me? I feel - legitimately - offended about this because it makes me feel like they are spitting on Aerith's grave. I know it's insane. Aerith never existed, it's their intellectual property to do with as they wish and yet... there it is.

I mean, I have played and replayed FFVII countless times, I have bought several editions of soundtracks, I've even got the DVD of Advent Children. You could call me a fan.

Not so much for FFXIII.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
They could just release a couple extra outfits that are Shueisha exclusive, as an apology the would clear this up.
oldtaku said:
A piece of cosmetic DLC for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII replaces Lightning's outfit with the iconic Aerith costume from Final Fantasy VII. This DLC was meant to be an exclusive unlock for buyers of a specific strategy guide, but Square Enix released the costume to the general public by mistake.
I just want to requote this, because even entirely on its own it's fairly horrifying summary of what Squeenix has done to Final Fantasy.
If by using novelty and nostalgia to sell useless DLC and maybe more copies of games with the DLC, that is quickly becoming an industry wide practice. Square's worst sins were letting Sakaguchi and Uematsu leave and changing core elements of the series way too fast. Also, focusing on eye candy means most of their projects are getting pushed back 5+ years.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So, um, I can't believe I'm saying this, but...uh...I'd, er, but that. As long as it's not like, you know, more than a dollar or two. I think it looks really pretty, and much better than anything Lightening has worn in the other games. And since I get the strategy guide for each Final Fantasy XIII game anyway...

On another note, blast it! I thought this meant a leak about a new Final Fantasy VII game had come out, or maybe even the legendary remake that everyone wants. Alas, that appears to not be the case. Hopes raised and dashed.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Hope the people who bought the DLC either got to keep it or got a refund then.

On a side note splitting off DLC, even if it is just cosmetic, and making it only available if you buy a guide (which let's face it are overpriced and practically obsolete these days) really disgusts me honestly.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
AldUK said:
You know what's completely irrational of me? I feel - legitimately - offended about this because it makes me feel like they are spitting on Aerith's grave. I know it's insane. Aerith never existed, it's their intellectual property to do with as they wish and yet... there it is.

I mean, I have played and replayed FFVII countless times, I have bought several editions of soundtracks, I've even got the DVD of Advent Children. You could call me a fan.

Not so much for FFXIII.
Is it any wonder why Sakaguchi and Uematsu left SE and formed Mistwalker? I wonder how Sakaguchi feels about this since FF7 was his design... But I totally agree with you on the sentiment.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
gamegod25 said:
Hope the people who bought the DLC either got to keep it or got a refund then.
this.

other wise Square should start getting hate mail for stealing peoples money when it was they're fault it was up for sale to begin with.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
I consider only two actions that would recompensate the poor public with this 'tragedy'.

1) Final Fantasy 6 and 7 HD remakes

2) Kill Lightning from Final Fantasy 13, and Vanille as well

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
oldtaku said:

Dude, it was an accident. It's costume DLC as well. They caught their mistake, apologized for it and are probably fixing it right this instant.

AldUK said:

Not so much for FFXIII.
Dude, they apologized for it and have (in most likely case) refunded the money. No need to go completely fanboy on it.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
I consider only two actions that would recompensate the poor public with this 'tragedy'.

So your answer is just "Do what I, a fanboy, wish!" And you wonder why they don't listen to you? That is why.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
VoidWanderer said:

So your answer is just "Do what I, a fanboy, wish!" And you wonder why they don't listen to you? That is why.
Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm.

KingdomFantasyXIII

Apr 4, 2012
VoidWanderer said:
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
VoidWanderer said:

Sorry, I forgot the sarcasm.
Oh, I see. Yeah you got to do "/sarcasm" when doing something sarcastic like that. People take things literally if you don't add that. ^_^

No problem

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, it sounds like an honest mistake on Square Enix's part. I find it odd that they screwed something like this up, but it's hardly worth complaining about.

In relation to magazine-distributed DLC, for some reason this reminds me of the whole Arctic Warfare Caitlyn debacle. Not the same kind of issue, but some kind of resemblance is there.

As for cosmetic DLC... well, it's only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. It's just Square Enix's version of distributing fanservice.

Also, Aerith is dead, and she is never coming back to life.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
KingdomFantasyXIII said:
Dude, they apologized for it and have (in most likely case) refunded the money. No need to go completely fanboy on it.
Oh I'm sorry for going all 'completely fanboy on it.' Here I thought this was a site where fans of games could discuss those games and engage in their hobbies. Silly me, dude!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Ok

1) Fuck you, either do something with FF7 already or STOP MILKING IT!
Did you REALLY need a cloud and aerith costume in your shitty new final fantasy 13 part 3 no one wanted?
The one you, once again, merrily poured millions upon milions into while remaking X which is completely unneeded all while not touching 7, something you have been asked for forever, at all?
Just fuck you.

2) Fuck you, stop doing that stupid tying content to specific retailers bullshit.
It is annoying at best and obnoxious and frustrating at worst.

I hope they get burned to hell and back for this and never ever want to make such "exclusive content" deals OR anything final fantasy 7 outside of a final fantasy 7 game ever again. Just let ff7 rest if you don't want to do anything with ff7.
It's not like you wouldn't fuck that up too anyway.

This is like the white wig on dante in DMC -basically a fuck you to long time fans- except that one was kindasorta funny and didn't have any more strings attached to it.
This is just... I don't even know. Disgusting?

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Let's hope that Square Enix gets its' ass sued off for breaking the contract so they will decide to never have exclusive DLC ever again. Which in turn would start a ripple effect and every other company would do away with exclusive DLC as well. Well, I can dream can't I?

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Still bullcrap, IMO. There are several games that have done this stuff, and the manufacturer refused to add it up for purchase after a while.

As a result, there is no longer a way to access some of the DLC, even if it is hardcoded into the disk. So, even IF I wanted to actually buy the DLC for these titles, I'd be unable, simply because there's no system for purchase, and codes are no longer in circulation.

Isn't digital distro supposed to INCREASE potential copies for sale, as opposed to limiting it?

BTW: the main offenders here are a few random Capcom, Activision, EA, and THQ (although the reason here is obvious) titles. Incidentally, the first game to bring my attention to this flummox was Enslaved by Ninja Theory (yes I know, no big loss, but it's the principle).