Square-Enix Bans Players for Gardening in FFXI

messy

Dec 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
messy said:
I guess they were caught "green-handed". I'll stop with the puns now, blame doomsday arcade
Hehe

Well, I think it's perfectly acceptable, it would be like having an MMO which allowed you to gain experience when you were logged off.

Like that'd ever happen...
Seriously is there one that has that, and if so what one?
How would you grind endlessly?

Archeopterix

Jun 28, 2004
xmetatr0nx said:
The money systems in MMOs are getting out of control. It would be really interesting to study this on an economic scale, could provide an interesting insight on a microeconomic scale.
Yeah I've played on and off since 2004, and I've seen the prices of items fluctuate directly as a result of the gil seller vs the GM moderating activity. More gil selling, prices go up, more GM activity prices crash. I'm guessing this is due to the gil sellers that specialize in crafting, that they want to get their craft of specialty up to maximum level as soon as possible so they are willing to buy materials at the auction house for more, which creates a supply-and-demand bottleneck.

(For example; I remember when I was starting out clothcrafting in 2004 and how hard it was to get cotton to level on (I did not know a the time about harvesting or taking it from mandragoras with a thief job). It would be so frusterating as a level 30 white mage to get through the level stage where cotton was required, so buying cotton was very expensive.)

But it seems surprizing to me that they don't have a tagging system in place with the automated system that can trace the origins of gold. It shouldn't be too hard to notice that gold is coming from the sale of ore grown by a character attached to the same account. Strange.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
messy said:
I guess they were caught "green-handed". I'll stop with the puns now, blame doomsday arcade
Hehe

Well, I think it's perfectly acceptable, it would be like having an MMO which allowed you to gain experience when you were logged off.

That would nEVEr happen would it? BRB gotta go set my training skills. Now all I have to do is remember to log on Saturday and update my training.

Archeopterix

Jun 28, 2004
xmetatr0nx said:
Archeopterix said:
Yeah I've played on and off since 2004, and I've seen the prices of items fluctuate directly as a result of the gil seller vs the GM moderating activity. More gil selling, prices go up, more GM activity prices crash. I'm guessing this is due to the gil sellers that specialize in crafting, that they want to get their craft of specialty up to maximum level as soon as possible so they are willing to buy materials at the auction house for more, which creates a supply-and-demand bottleneck.

(For example; I remember when I was starting out clothcrafting in 2004 and how hard it was to get cotton to level on (I did not know a the time about harvesting or taking it from mandragoras with a thief job). It would be so frusterating as a level 30 white mage to get through the level stage where cotton was required, so buying cotton was very expensive.)

But it seems surprizing to me that they don't have a tagging system in place with the automated system that can trace the origins of gold. It shouldn't be too hard to notice that gold is coming from the sale of ore grown by a character attached to the same account. Strange.
Thats actually quite interesting, it almost reminds me of the supply and demand dance of the drug trade. One could build quite an itneresting model from all that data. Makes me wonder if they realize what they created.
Yeah lots of people are doing their thesis/dissertations on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_economy

Feb 13, 2008
Delmar Wynn said:
messy said:
Hehe

That would nEVEr happen would it? BRB gotta go set my training skills. Now all I have to do is remember to log on Saturday and update my training.
Nah, I doubt they'd EVEr get that idea. You'd have to have a player run economy for a start.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
cainstwin said:
Why exactly should gardening be allowed, surely each character should be in effect a seperate 'game', and therefore should not be able to trade items? In a single player game you wouldn't expect to be able to trade items like this, why should it be any different here?
Because a MMOG is not a single-player game, honestly. It boils down to that.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
messy said:
Hehe

someone beat me to it

Feb 13, 2008
asinann said:
messy said:
Hehe

someone beat me to it
Nice ninja edit ;)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
You guys need to let this Skynet thing go. Machines are our freinds. They're not going to rise up and overthrow humanity then render them into protien soup to feed their organic batteries.

...*left eye glows red*

boppity

Jul 10, 2009
Square Enix does NOT have a process in place where these regular players who were falsely accused of RMT can protest their banning and get their accounts back. If they are able to get through to customer service and the customer service person allows them to talk to a manager they might get to send off a message, but then they will be told to wait maybe SE will get back to them maybe not. It took upwards of three months for some players to get their accounts back after they were hacked and that was with SE admitting the accounts were hacked and needed to be returned.

There has been no acknowledgment from SE about the recent bannings and none of the people that have been banned are reporting any contact from SE.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
i'm sure there is a mmog where you gain xp while you are logged off. had a funny name and i couldnt play it as it was region locked...

EDIT: found it: Mabinogi

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Ugh, what's wrong with you people. Using mules and alts to benefit your main character is cheating the system in my books. Those people deserved to be banned. Permanent ban and calling them gold farmers is wrong however.

Samurai Ralan

May 8, 2009
You can see here, where player testing shows how dumb their auto STF truly is. http://www.bluegartrls.com/forum/78095-warning-proud-beard.html

Npcing items to this convenient Galka got this guy auto banned on a test character.