Square Enix enacts a "Materials Usage License" for upcoming FFXIV: A Realm Reborn

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
Hello, Lyiat from TheCyanFirefly here, RPM Partner. Square has reversed their policy on this earlier today. You can find the updated text here: http://support.na.square-enix.com/ru...&policy=update

There is still text there about not being able to monetize, so it currently contradicts itself. I've been informed, however, that this was an oversight and will be dealt with soon. I hope that clears things up.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Lyiat said:
Hello, Lyiat from TheCyanFirefly here, RPM Partner. Square has reversed their policy on this earlier today. You can find the updated text here: http://support.na.square-enix.com/ru...&policy=update

There is still text there about not being able to monetize, so it currently contradicts itself. I've been informed, however, that this was an oversight and will be dealt with soon. I hope that clears things up.
Well there you go, and here I was just saying how something would get worked out since it'd be stupid for Square to go through with it after the huge debacle with Nintendo back in May. :p

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Lyiat said:

Glad to hear it, ARR is a decent game and I know a couple of people who are very dubious about it due to that user agreement, they wondered what Square Enix was trying to hide by preventing people from showing off the game.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
illutian said:
The Lunatic said:
The keyword here is that they can't monetize it.

Basically, if you have a video on Youtube with FFXIV stuff in it, you can't enable ads.

Not seeing the issue there, honestly.
Someone like AngryJoe, who shows games in the background as he reviews can't get paid. I dare you to go to work and tell you boss you're working for free 'today' and 'tomorrow'.

Why 'tomorrow'? Because in the time it takes a YouTube Reviewer to film, edit, review, and then upload a video they can't monetize (out of money 'today'). They could have been working on another review that they *can* get paid for (out of money 'tomorrow').

Now someone who's playing like I am, not kidding..shouldn't be able to monetize. But someone (ie AngryJoe), who's doing an *VIDEO* review can't; oh, but if it was *WRITTEN* by, say, PC Gaming (magazine division), they could print it and show it in a hardcopy that also contains paid advertising.

Oh and if there was still a 'Gaming TV' channel, they could run it [review] and, of course, have commericals (aka ads)

Double-standards are bullshit.

I don't think there's any double standard here.

Angry Joe could just talk about the game with cut-scenes in the background (Which he's done before, by the way.) and no infringement would happen.

Likewise, a text-based review can use screenshots which are approved or press released by SE.

Or perhaps even, given SE made the content you're showing people, they deserve a cut of the money you make from it?

I think it's silly, but, ultimately, it's their piece of art and how they choose to display it to the public is up to them. And, I can understand how an artist would be annoyed at the concept of people making money from showing others their work whilst they talk over it.

I do believe there is some freedom of review law however. So, if it collides with that, then that'll be interesting.

illutian

Aug 30, 2013
The Lunatic said:
From the OP:

"Guidelines for Videos

The video must not require a paid membership for viewing;
**You may not monetize your video via the YouTube partner program or any similar programs on other video sharing sites.**"

Taking into context who posted this policy. You can't show any FF14ARR video on a video review set to be monetized. And I believe cut-scenes still follow under that. As it's still _technically_ game footage. I know they were gagged during EA from showing cut-scenes; this was removed after launch.

Also, a lot of art exhibits (which charge admission) the curators will talk over the 'art' as you look at it :p

---

Also, the link Lyiat posted doesn't work (code 404). :(

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
The Lunatic said:
Angry Joe could just talk about the game with cut-scenes in the background (Which he's done before, by the way.) and no infringement would happen.
That does not free from from the automated machine that detects the copyrighten stuff. Take it from someone who's been LPing Kingdom Hearts games for a while. YouTube's copyright system is broken because it can't differentiate things. While your video is processing they have the machine go through the video before it goes live to check if there is anything that can possibly be liable for a 3rd Party Content Match ID or worse. Content Match IDs can be disputed, but they don't always go in ones favor. It's worse with music and false flaggers as well because the machine can't tell when people are falsely flagging either, and then you get companies that do the same thing claiming copyright on something they don't own.

Most of the time the claims are made by music companies when it comes to Square Enix games, for example EMI Studios Japan will instantly get YouTube to mute your video if it detects a song by Utada Hikaru, and you usually can't dispute those. Square Enix can also pull a SEGA and call for removal of videos entirely, like how SEGA did about a year ago with all Shining Force videos on YouTube.

What I'm getting at is that Copyright rules on YouTube and the laws in general are broken really badly and severely need to be updated.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Griffolion said:
Total Biscuit has already given his two cents regarding it:
It's TB, so I'm going to guess it borders on fellatio and says the video game industry is comprised of special snowflakes who deserve not to be constrained by things like fair use.

However, could you break it down or at least give an approximate time so I don't have to listen to that tedious prat ramble for up to 30 minutes?

wintercoat said:
I...see nothing wrong with this. I mean, it's a bit more strict than other copyright terms, but not all that different. Am I missing something? Did I miss the paragraph where you give Squeenix your soul if you use any of their copyrighted material?
You are signing away your fair use rights, or a chunk of them, from this contract.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm not sure "nothing wrong" is correct, either.

Ruzinus said:
Illegal move that will stand because it will never get to any court.

They're shooting themselves in the foot. Might not matter. The amount that it hurts their revenue might go unnoticed, as it seems to be selling plenty anyway.
It will stand because courts are favouring the entertainment industry more and more over the users.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
However, could you break it down or at least give an approximate time so I don't have to listen to that tedious prat ramble for up to 30 minutes?
It's the first thing he talks about.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So, it's the Nintendo fiasco all over again...

The end-game is about collusion of opinion and duress, protecting copyright yes, but it's protecting copyright from people who might provide an honest opinion, rather than one that's been paid for.

gavinmcinns

Aug 23, 2013
Thr33X said:
shrekfan246 said:
wintercoat said:
I...see nothing wrong with this. I mean, it's a bit more strict than other copyright terms, but not all that different. Am I missing something? Did I miss the paragraph where you give Squeenix your soul if you use any of their copyrighted material?
Well, it means there likely won't be any video reviews or coverage of the game. To be fair, it's had a fair amount of exposure already just due to how shite the launch of XIV originally was, but I imagine that also left a pretty big black mark on the name itself, and if A Realm Reborn is a much better title with the same stigma still attached (and by most accounts it is a much better game) people actually interested in the new launch aren't going to be able to find any information on the actual game itself except for whatever sparse, hand-picked moments Square picks out themselves.

Just because it may or may not be any more strict than what other people do doesn't make it a good idea. Video coverage on Youtube is likely one of the best ways to spread awareness about your game, since it's free advertising; shutting down the biggest commentators because you don't want them making money off of ads is just silly.
And this is why Square Enix continues to lose money. Terrible way to handle what could be a big deal for them.
No, they lose money because they dump all their money on shitty games. Imagine how much fucking advertising money they waste. If they instead funneled some of that Final Fantasy Cash into Deus Ex or Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider. Deus Ex could have been amazing, sleeping dogs and tomb raider could have been good.

The amount of FFC they waste on Final Fantasy is ridiculous.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
It's the first thing he talks about.
Oh. good to know. I'll go listen and see then.

...Listen and see?

Listen and hear?

We'll see how it goes and which senses I use. My third eye's been closed a lot, lately.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oh, crap. I failed to factor in TB's "it affects me, so suddenly I care," attitude.

Of COURSE he's against this.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
gavinmcinns said:
No, they lose money because they dump all their money on shitty games. Imagine how much fucking advertising money they waste. If they instead funneled some of that Final Fantasy Cash into Deus Ex or Sleeping Dogs or Tomb Raider. Deus Ex could have been amazing, sleeping dogs and tomb raider could have been good.

They didn't make those games, though, only published them. As for them being good or not, that's a personal opinion.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
gavinmcinns said:

They didn't make those games, though, only published them. As for them being good or not, that's a personal opinion.
Deus Ex is done by Eidos, owned by Squeenix.

Tomb Raider is done by Crystal Dynamics, owned by Squeenix.

Of the three, only Sleeping Dogs is not made by Suqeeeenix.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
gavinmcinns said:

Deus Ex is done by Eidos, owned by Squeenix.

Tomb Raider is done by Crystal Dynamics, owned by Squeenix.
They're owned by Squeenix? Well, egg on my face, I suppose. Still, doesn't change the fact that FF is what Squeenix is known for, so it makes sense for them to put a lot of money into it.

Peer Gynt

Aug 24, 2013
Seems a strange way for Squeenix to handle the situation. It truly seems like they are trying to censor people from reviewing their products. In the film industry when you know your studio has dropped a total stink burger you don't allow any press screenings. That way you can hopefully separate enough clueless film goers from their money before word of mouth let's the world know the film is a turd.

Oh well, I was holding off on trying out The Realm Reborn until they fixed their current server issues and I could get a chance to see if the game looked worth my time and money from from reviewers such as Total Biscuit. Because of this new policy that looks unlikely to happen as professional third party reviewers will just give the game a miss as it isn't financially worth their time. So since I don't feel I'll be getting a fair chance to preview their creations, looks like I won't be purchasing any Square Enix products any time soon.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure what you were getting at there (couldn't tell if you are pro/anti this whole thing), but TB basically says the whole thing is rather silly. It's the first thing he talks about, so first 30 seconds in.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
They're owned by Squeenix? Well, egg on my face, I suppose. Still, doesn't change the fact that FF is what Squeenix is known for, so it makes sense for them to put a lot of money into it.
Except, of course, for the fact that it hasn't been working.

And really, that's not how one grows as a business, which is clearly what they've been trying to do.

Growth means sinking real money and effort into new ideas and products. And honestly, even if it wasn't their game, if they wanted Sleeping Dogs to sell better maybe they should have put more marketing behind it. It's finally considered "successful" in their eyes, which only happened because of sustained love from the fans and sustained effort by UFG, who seemed to have been forgotten by SE to this point.

Griffolion said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I'm not sure what you were getting at there (couldn't tell if you are pro/anti this whole thing), but TB basically says the whole thing is rather silly. It's the first thing he talks about, so first 30 seconds in.
I'm actually sort of curious as to which part confused you.

See, I considered that post pretty blunt.

I mean, on the matter at hand:

Zachary Amaranth said:
You are signing away your fair use rights, or a chunk of them, from this contract.

It's not the end of the world, but I'm not sure "nothing wrong" is correct, either.
This should indicate that while I don't think it's the worst thing that can happen, I don't think it's good.

The resst of the post is largely aimed at TB having his head so far up the gaming industry's ass that he can see daylight. As I already said about the video itself, I assumed that he'd tell people to get over it and act like gaming creators are special snowflakes who need to be treated better than everyone else. I forgot, however, that this would impact him financially. Therefore, he agin it!

Cynical Brit indeed. Fitting, since one of the definitions of "cynic" is a belief that everyone is solely motivated by selfishness.

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Peer Gynt said:
It truly seems like they are trying to censor people from reviewing their products. In the film industry when you know your studio has dropped a total stink burger you don't allow any press screenings. That way you can hopefully separate enough clueless film goers from their money before word of mouth let's the world know the film is a turd.
If you want to stop potentially buyers from judging the quality of your game, you don't hold an open beta and you don't give permission for players to post footage to open media.

Let me reiterate. By default, you cannot post any game footage to YouTube, whether edited or not, whether monetised or not. This license doesn't take anything away. In fact, it's granting permissions that wouldn't have been there by default.

Now what's supposed to happen is that open media gaming networks (e.g. Machinima) would negotiate their own agreements so that their members are able to monetise content. I can only guess here, but perhaps Squenix aren't recognising such networks as legitimate journalists and are holding them to the same agreement as bog standard players. That would explain the stink from Jesse and TB. But as it applies to you and me, there's nothing out of the ordinary about that license. It's a lot less restrictive than most games.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
I'm rather surprised that there is a thread on this FF14: ARR topic rather than how those of us who bought the fucking game can't fucking play it right now because of all (and I mean ALL) of the servers for North America and Europe are as of now full of AFK'ers, and are currently unjoinable. They should be kicking people who aren't playing out; left, right, and center!

That way those of us who bought the game fucking game; THAT HAS A FUCKING SUBSCRIPTION FEE I might add, can play the fucking game!

And the other half of the time it doesn't fucking allow people to join the 40-something Japanese servers, (while NA and EU only get about 20) for some unexplained reason.

This is also a colossal fuck-up on Square Enix's behalf not creating ENOUGH SERVERS, BIG ENOUGH to hold as many people that bought their fucking, currently unplayable game!