Square Enix Explains FF XIII-2's Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Square Enix Explains FF XIII-2's Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Stuff

Players will not only be able to chose where they want to go in Final Fantasy XIII-2, they'll also be able to decide when they arrive.

Moving back and forth in time is going to be a pretty big part of Final Fantasy XIII-2 [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Playstation-3/dp/B003O6JIVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315587246&sr=8-1], but time travel is a complicated activity, and getting it wrong can have devastating consequences. Thankfully, Motomu Toriyama, the game's director, is on hand to explain how the game will handle its jaunts across time.

Players will be able to use the "Historia Crux," which will allow them to travel through time and space. This means that players will be able to pick both where they want to go, and when they would like to get there. Toriyama said that any gear or skills the characters had would be carried over between different time periods, which made it possible to essentially have lots of little "New Game Plus" moments. According to Toriyama, some people were saying it reminded them of the Super Nintendo classic, Chrono Trigger. He didn't go into too much detail on that point, but presumably the feedback was referring to how the time travel works, and not the way the menus look or the background music.

The idea behind the time travel, Toriyama said, was to give the reins back to the player, rather than the game holding on to them incredibly tightly as in FF XIII. Players will be able to do as much or as little of the ancillary content as they like, and they will be able to make that choice throughout the game. "In the original game, the sidequests were only unlocked in the second half of the story on Gran Pulse," Toriyama explained, "but in the sequel we have put in many different sidequests right from the start."

Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes to PS3 and Xbox 360 in January 2012.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/70092/final-fantasy-xiii-2s-time-travel-explained]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the last time Toriyama dealt with time travel the game was called 3rd Birthday. And it was one of the WORST narratives Square has ever made.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Iiiiiintersting Toriyama-san, I like sidequests and this new "time travel" aspect sounds too appealing to miss out on for me.

Then again, with that said, even without the time travel aspect and the exploration, I'd still buy FFXIII-2, I've had an obsession with Final Fantasy for 19 years and it shall continue regardless of content.

(Yes, yes, yes, "fanboi,lolololweeaboo!rofl!!!!!", I get it, I get it, sue me)

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
The more I hear about this game the more excited I get. I know I may be in the minority here but I really like 13 and am really looking forward to number 2... As long as they don't go all X-2 on it.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
ok square enix. You officially have made me want to take a look this game. Congratulations. And if by the time i finish 13 and 13-2 versus 13 comes out you will have my forgiveness.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I was on the fence about this, but that's an interesting development...

consider my interest piqued. Well played Square, well played.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
vivster said:
and yet another +1 on my excitement counter
more plus +100 for me
This games sounds awesome and I can't wait to play it
it was a bit low yes
it's the biggest excitement jump so far

then again i was already sold on the game after i played 2 minutes of the XIII and didn't knew there was a XIII-2

Dec 14, 2009
Ugh, colour me uninterested.

I think I'm done the Final Fantasy franchise.

I shall hence consider any new release a shitfest until proven otherwise.

Sep 14, 2009
wow, they just caught my interest here...

i might have to give this one more thought than i originally did, i was going to disregard it until 13 vs came out, but it looks like they listened ALOT to fan backlash from the previous game..

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I have never played a Final Fantasy game ever and yet, now I'm interested in this one...

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
They might be doing something right for a change. FF13-2 - the decent game. That's a nice thought.
But if the combat system is as garbage as FF13's, I will never play it.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I still want to know if you can play as Lighting (full time no guest party or special summon) and not just Serah and that other guy plus monsters. Thats going to determine if I get the game or not.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
vivster said:
and yet another +1 on my excitement counter
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this as well. I'm hoping it'll tide my FF craving over until Versus or KH3. In other words, a long time.

Aiddon said:
the last time Toriyama dealt with time travel the game was called 3rd Birthday. And it was one of the WORST narratives Square has ever made.
Hmm...just a bit curious, here: What did you think of the original Parasite Eves?

TimeLord said:
I have never played a Final Fantasy game ever and yet, now I'm interested in this one...
If you want to start at a good point of the series, try the SNES games and FFIX. Judging by your name, though, you might want to try Chrono Trigger first.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I hated FFXIII. The battle system had potential, but that potential was only realized in a handful of boss fights. Most of the battles in the game are just boring time-sinks.

The story also had potential, but they decided to bury all the interesting bits about the Fal'cie, the origins of Cocoon, and the history of Pulse and Cocoon in the Datalog, rather than incorperating it into the story. EDIT: Also... Vanille... Dear Odin how I hated Vanille.

That being said, I think I'm now willing to give XIII-2 a shot, but only on a borrow or a rental. I'm definitely not paying any money for anything Squeenix makes unless it's VersusXIII or Kingdom Hearts III.

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
XIII destroyed my "honeymoon" with the franchise. Keeping that battle system intact is one reason to hate any sequel. They insist on using their absurd ATB system, when real time and fast turn-based control is fine. XII was the first I couldn't replay, then XIII was the one I couldn't finish. The trend is alarming and I've shifted towards Atlus/SMT already.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Okay, the more I hear and see about this game, the more I like it. I liked FFXIII and I'll probably like this.