Square-Enix Extends FF14 Free Trial Yet Again

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Ashoten said:
So I don't want to start a fight or anything but as someone that was bored to tears by FF-13 I didn't even bother to look into 14 beyond a passing glance. Especially when I heard about the exp. penalty system they were so proud of I was done w/it before I got started.
It was a pretty bad sign when they started perclaiming how proud they were that they programmed the game to punish you for playing your favorite class for their definition of too long.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
JediMB said:
Sephiwind said:
JediMB said:
Sephiwind said:
Yikes. Seriously what the hell is Square doing? There wasn't this many problems with 11. Is the game that differant from the first one that it's pretty much a scratch game?
When they made 14, they took all the things they learned from 11 and threw them away.
It's very sad. I was looking forward to 14 since it pretty much did away with the forced party system that was such a turn off for me. I got so sick of searching for parties in the level 50+ area of 11 that I just gave up on the game. Such a shame that what ever they did in 14 is so broken.
Yeah, I'd rather just get back into 11 and try to get my Red Mage job from 72 to 100 than touch 14 again. I really don't mind heavy party focus, but I miss having friends in the game to play with. When my friends stopped playing 11, it was only a matter of time until my interest in the game dwindled.

I loved being a Red Mage, though. <3
Same here man. I was a level 52 Galka Red Mage before I finally had enough. I just didn't have the time to sit around for a party, find one, spend an hour to travel all the way out to it, and then have it break up upon arrival. I think the last 1/2 year I played I only stuck around because I loved my clan.

Scrumpmonkey said:
JediMB said:
Sephiwind said:
Yikes. Seriously what the hell is Square doing? There wasn't this many problems with 11. Is the game that differant from the first one that it's pretty much a scratch game?
When they made 14, they took all the things they learned from 11 and threw them away.
It's like it was developed in a vacume from about 2000 onwards. 11 was bad enough but they can be at least partly forgiven becuase of the timing of it's release, it being their first MMO and it being an ambitious console project. Did they REALLY think this was a decent, modern or even functional MMO is like? Was any kind of QA tsting even done? For an MMO expnential ammounts of QA, playtesting, community conferencing and general hard improvement has to be made. Looking at the presentation and a lot of other elements this must have cost arround the 100million mark to produce, as many MMOs of this type do, can squeenix REALLY afford to keep throwing money at it? How will this efect the company as a whole becuase it is a monumental failure.
It's not like they will be given another free pass like what happend when they got bailed out by Sony after Spirits Within was a financial disaster. I thought it was rather suspicious that they announced 14 so quickly.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
I can't believe I used to be a Squaresoft fangirl. Way to spend a decade thoroughly ruining the Final Fantasy brand, guys.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
megs1120 said:
I can't believe I used to be a Squaresoft fangirl. Way to spend a decade thoroughly ruining the Final Fantasy brand, guys.
I feel your pain on this one megs. I, like alot of people, became a fan of Square with 7, but ever since 10 and the merger with Enix it just seems like a completely different company. It's a real shame. After playing 13 I think I have pretty much given up on Square.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Yeah, this game is gonna bomb horribly. And I don't really care.

Square treats their customers like crap, so they get what's coming to them.

Merlark

Dec 18, 2003
It is very embarrassing that this game is marked with the SE name, I think allot of people cut them allot of slack for their first MMO. For the most part I think they did well with it, so It was really hard for not only that user base not be excited for 14 but also current MMO players who got to see some of SE's technical wizardy and graphical story telling unfold only to find that whats there not only barely draws from its predecessor but makes all new mistakes that even last generation MMO's wouldn't make.

It's easy to get the impression that square hates PC gamers, it would be difficult to beleive the stuff they pull wasn't on purpose. However one has to conceed at least they are doing the right thing by not further charging their customer base.

extending their free trial by 60 days is a major lose for the company, helping at least in my eyes show that they ARE actually interested in making a good game and not just money. I won't hold my breath on how the changes will pan out, the suggested updates look good on paper but there is literary a mountain of problems that the game has to address to even begin to get on par with games like WoW or Aion.

But hey, at least if you got stuck paying the box price a 90 day play period softens the sting of the initial bad investment at least. Who knows, they may pull the game out of its woes.

The final Fantasy brand though is in trouble, they can no longer just shred what they have learned from prior games and start anew with creative juices alone, they need to draw on their past learned technical skills to save this series, its time they come to terms with what they really want to make here. Dragon Quest gets this, FF needs to fall in line too.

VGStrife

May 27, 2009
Ok, I am going official.

If XIIIVS is bad i will no longer be purchasing SE's products.
They have hurt me so many times before! *sobs*

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
This is a pretty funny fuck up. I must say, Square really shouldn't have released it so early.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Both recent FFs have been flops IMO, really a FFVII remake would redeem Square in many peoples eyes, but back to the original topic nearly everybody and their grandmother agreed that FFXIV would be a flop, the crafting system is bland, the combat even more so, sure it looks pretty but otherwise it's really bland.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
O zing Funk! XD

Final Fantasy XIV would be great on the Panasonic Jungle ::trollface::

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Yay o.o

I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to afford to play after the 20th - this just saved me from having to choose between Final Fantasy XIV and TRON Evolution x.x

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yes! The longer they have to run the game for free, the closer they come to going out of business and never stagnating the JRPG genre again with their Final Fantasy rubbish!

(Unlikely but a guy can dream)

steamweedlegoblin

Apr 28, 2010
Square could extend the free trial for an entire year and I still wouldn't be playing it. This is hands down the worst game I've ever played. I don't want more time with it, even if that time is free!

DarkRedLion

Oct 13, 2010
I don't know why it makes me happy to hear these news. And it's not for the free time, mind you.

I guess their mediocrity catched up to them. When do you think they will close the servers? XD

ultimasupersaiyan

Dec 9, 2008
I can see the game going free to play before the PS3 release and going into micro transactions. I know that will get gamers trust back because I've asked gamers in Australia who play Final Fantasy and they all agree. They even said they'd play it with all it's problem if it ran on that model.

Personally I see Final Fantasy XIV going the way of Tabula Rasa and APB.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
Clash_Action said:
What's sad is that I really got excited for this, and I love the graphics. However, after seeing all it's glaring flaws and all, I am more than happy to wait and see how Guild Wars 2 turns out.
Same here... minus the getting "excited for FF XIV" part, because I never knew the game even existed until I saw a hilarious review [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei0GxMOBztA].

Either way, this game has already failed to impress the MMO crowd and no number of patches will help detract the community's attention from better MMOs that are coming out (WoW Cat, Rift, Tera, Guild Wars 2 & Star Wars: TOR).

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
ultimasupersaiyan said:
Personally I see Final Fantasy XIV going the way of Tabula Rasa and APB.
Actually APB has been bought by some shitty publisher and will be reborn next year, as a Free to Play game.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I love MMO's and I try new ones all the time just to see if I may like one or more to play, this was not one of them. I disliked this game pretty much on the whole. Combat was boring, questing was more boring and limited than any other MMO i have ever played, crafting is such a unnecessarily complex time sink it is painful, etc etc. I could not fathom dropping $50 on this game, they need to continue to offer free months to save any face. The game really isn't up to par with the current MMO's and will suffer with the slew of upcoming MMO releases for next year.

FFXIV will probably be f2p and/or have a serious cash shop eventually, maybe even as early as the time the PS3 version drops. The Crysta system in place already is set for item shop application.