Square Enix Financials Fall Through the Floor

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I'm sure they'll be fine, i know i plan to give them support (i received my newletter from them today with the new hitman teaser trailer so i'll be buying that when it comes out) and XIV is starting to look like a proper mmo now so they'll probably start charging for that again anyway (and don't forget XI is still going strong so i think they'll be fine in the long run).

I hope they make it anyway there pretty much my all time favourite company (i grew up with ff7 to 11 and even now i still play them).

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
KINGDOM HEARTS 1 & 2 FINAL MIX FOR PS3!!!!!
that would solve your problems

and FF7 remake.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Time to call in the back up plans for guaranteed money.

1) Release Kingdom Hearts 3.
2) Release Final Fantasy XIII Versus or whatever we're calling it now.
3) Release Final Fantasy XV--and make it good, it will sell three times as much.
4) Release sequel to Final Fantasy VIII (okay, so I'm really the only one that wants that).
5) Release a new Chrono game.
6) Remake Final Fantasy VII on the PS3.

Follow these steps, and the company will be back in black immediately. :)
I agree with this, all of this,so so much, and you are NOT alone on the FF VIII thing, I want a sequel!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
They lost all sympathy from me when they made The Last Remnant and FF13. I MIGHT buy Deus Ex, but I'll probably buy it used, just so they get no money from my purchase. Yea, it's kinda an irrational hatred for them, but that's how it is. I refuse to support them, and while I won't say I hope they go out of business, because that's a terrible thing to wish for, but I do hope them getting financially fucked makes them seriously rethink the way they do games, and hopefully up the quality a bit.

SamuraiShinrai

Oct 11, 2010
In terms of a company getting screwed that kinda sucks but then I dont like any of their games, way too much focus on final fantasy.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Hopefully this means they're putting their resources into Final Fantasy 15. I would say hopefully they're going back to their moment of glory from 12 but since I'd be their only customer if they did I guess that wouldn't be great for them :p but seriously go back to that wide open world with more stuff to do than I'd ever be able to fit into one lifetime. Just don't make the protagonist a twat. Please? :( Lightning was a decent protagonist, learn from that!

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Bad, but from an accounting standpoint, somewhat superficial. Goodwill isn't cash based and is something of a measure of corporate standing (doubtless the writedown can be attributed to FFXIV). They don't actually lose 100 million in cash by writing it down.

55 mil to cancel projects and tighten standards sounds a little high so there's probably some sunk costs in there, and yes, if it means a few less travesties released, it could be better in the long run.

Still, this does explain the deluge of PSN releases, and I hope the trend contiues. Saddly they're running low (and until PSN is back it's moot anyway.) I don't think Square has much in the way of big releases in the forseeable future, just the ever delayed FF vs. XIII and XIII-2. Also with the PSP market dried up, they've lost a dominat segmant until the NPG is out and had time to entrench.

Big picture is Square needs FFXV to be beyond excelent. Lose the experimental gimick interfaces, call Bioware to write it if you have to, just produce a good RPG.

Short term cash flow ideas:

Get the rest of the PS1 library on PSN. When it's out I promise I'll buy all the ones I don't have portable versions of already.

Chrono Trigger PSP release in the vein of the FFIV complete collection. (For that matter, FFVI complete collection)

SNES Games: even without resorations, I think there'd be demand for Secret of Mana on something, and FF mystic quest would sell for nostalgia. Then there's always been a niche demand for Seikan Densetsu 3 in you'd translate the thing.

HD collections being the rage these days, let's talk FFX and Kingdom hearts.

Dissidia PS3 online: drop the story mode, add a few dozen characters from various francises, and sell a fun PS3 online party fighting game (again, once PSN is back)

If a full remake of FF7 is out, can we at least get a graphical polish on PSP, or a 3D round on the 3DS?

The above appies to things from the Taito and Eidos brands you've recently assimilated as well. You bought 'em, don't let 'em fester.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
This is Karma in action. If you take the Final Fantasy brand (that used to be awesome) and make shit like FF 11,12, 13, 14 (I will let 10-2 off because of the bonus ending you can unlock. I love crappy love story's that end well), and in doing so piss off most of your fans then Karma is going to ***** slap you.

Capcom is next for what they have let Ninja Theory do to Dante.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I feel sorry for japanese people. They are the only country in the world to be hit by nuclear weapons. Twice. They live on the edge of the Pacific ring of fire, tormented by volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis, and all of their neighbouring countries hate them.

I am not surprised that japanese are borderliners living in a society that sways between stoic perfectionism and cultural tradition on one side, and crazy as shit entertainment shows and giant mutant lizards and robotic overlords on the other.

I guess I'll buy DeusEx³ for the overpriced 49? then, to help them out.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
CM156 said:
This is the worst thing to happen to Square since FF XIV!

Really though, I feel for them. A shame things turned out the way they did.
Their Demise started quite earlier though, I'd say it started someplace between Final fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts 2... (Which I consider the last truly awesome SE games)

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
CannibalRobots said:
This is what they get for making terrible games.

Also, everyone knows that if they DID remake FF7, they'd get nothing but flak for it, considering that's what they've been doing for ever since FF8, you cannot please FF fans.

Sniper Team 4 said:

3) Release Final Fantasy XV--and make it good, it will sell three times as much.
4) Release sequel to Final Fantasy VIII (okay, so I'm really the only one that wants that).

Where will they get the money to make these games?
You ninja'd ne my friend.
You keep people keep speaking of using remakes to get the money back, but do u realize what your asking for?! The massive amount to money to remake the games u keep on bringing up will put square enix on the verge of bankruptcy! Most of the games ur mentioning are going to need a complete graphic overhaul remaking most of the models and environments from scratch! And final fantasy in the past had a humorous cartoony tone to it at times. Because of the updated graphics to their usual more realistic standard, it will require a rewriting of the original script to fit the proper tone. These are multimillion dollar projects u guys are talking about. What you should be really worrying about is Square Enix canceling game projects. There are going to be massive cut backs as well as putting quite a few games on hold indefinitely. they may even have to shut down online multiplayer for for quite a few games to recoup the losses. If you have a favorite up coming game from square you better let them know now in a massive campaign because things about to get really ugly really quick.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Holy hell, I figured that Square might loose a lot money over the natural disasters that have happened over there, but I didn't think it would be that bad.

Yeesh, hopefully with some of the games that they have slated to come out will help them regain some of that lose.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:

Screw that, remake Kingdom Hearts one. It's ONLY on the PS1 and no one can get into the series because they would be required to play through the first one to understand the second.

I mean crap...

How many of these games can they really work on to remake, that still have fans, and could be viable if only they updated those to the newer markets?

Hell, they have a really long back catalogue of games such as Tobal, Chocobo Dungeon, and Ehrgeiz. If anything, they need to put that on the PSN, the Xbox Live, and make SURE to give fans some of their classic stuff!

It's almost a no brainer that there's other ideas. I just think that their focused look at just a narrower selection is really going to cost them relevancy.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Umm...is that a "watermark" in the SE logo pic? Right under the Square Enix part, but still in the box.
You know, I can just barely see it too. Can't make out anything definitive, but there's something there!

OT: Ah, Square - how fondly I remember thee. How you used to make good quality games. Secret of Evermore. Secret of Mana. The first Final Fantasy. Hope you recover so the rest of us can see if your company lives to pull its creative head out of it arse.
I think it says NEWSCOM over and over, but I'm not sure, and now my eyes hurt...

OT: I really hate to see this happen, but maybe it's a good thing. They might now actually try to get back to their basics and provide us with some better polished games again to try and make that money back. There was a time when their games were awesome, recall.

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
There is no sequel to be made. In the ending Squall's dumbass stuck the world into a timeloop by telling Edea to make the gardens. He literally did more damage then the sorceress ever did.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Remake FF6 I wanna see a Fully rendered Kefka and the whole story is one of the best in the series overall(in my opinion).

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
Square can't go under! I haven't played FF13-2 yet! (Yes yes I know, shut up I like that game)

:( This is terrible news.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
CM156 said:
This is the worst thing to happen to Square since FF XIV!

Really though, I feel for them. A shame things turned out the way they did.
FFXIII and FFXIV are two reasons why they're in the shape they're in.