Square-Enix Isn't Sure Where to Take Final Fantasy

olfelix

May 14, 2010
I wouldn't mind seeing a new direction. The current state doesn't appeal to me at all, I avoided FFXIII hard, and it even surprised me. Not interested in it at all which is a shame, I'm a big fan of FF.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
burntheartist said:
We need another good story from the Final Fantasy series.

I think something old school wouldn't be so bad.
You should check out 'Lost Odyssey'. Its gameplay is related to classical Final Fantasy. And storywise it's a new idea which is beautifully realised. The only let down is the design of the villain, but... yeah, I really recommend 'Lost Odyssey'.

Shouldn't be suprising as it was written, produced and scored by the big three who made FF1-FF9 I think.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
scoober1111 said:
Jbird said:
Hmm... Where is Final Fantasy suppose to go... Less fucking sci-fi/Anime bullcrap and more actual fantasy, please. And proper storytelling, too. No more footnote menus.
are you a moron. IT'S ALWAYS BEEN ANIME YOU RETARD. dude if you don't know about what where talking about don't get involved.
I played and prefer the older ones and I really don't see a anime connection (I do see one with 7, 10, 12 and 13). But I remember the first one being based off D&D the second one was a knock off of star wars episode 4. Is it based on anime because it's made from japan, if so that's pretty closed minded of you. Also no need to call names here it's just a forums, I bet you wouldn't be yelling that crap in someones face in real life.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I'm not sure how I want to take this. Frankly, yes, if Final Fantasy ended my initial reaction is "No!!!" But, after thinking about it, maybe it is best. The last really really good game was 10. Beyond that, 11 wouldn't work on my computer, 12 was iffy. 13 was interesting, but wasn't nearly as good, and 14 is another MMO. So if the franchise creator says "We might be done." I say "Fine." You've kind of hopped along creating the last 4, having each not be nearly as good as the others, so maybe it is time to be done.

Then in 10 years they'll come out with XV and say "Just kidding!" Because we all know how much they love money and nothing else.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
I have an idea.

Final Fantasy VS Capcom

I think it could work...

OT:Im not sure myself, i think maybe taking it back to its roots for a bit instead of releasing remakes might spark some interest.
Hopefully they can come up with something soon.
I love this idea sooo much :D Epic Cloud vs Zero fight playing out in my head even as I type...

Kevka

Jul 16, 2008
While I generally dislike all the FF hate without any specific examples, my least favorite complaint is that the series is less fantasy and more sci-fi.

Personally, I think you guys can cram it. There are plenty of gorram high-fantasy settings. I wanna see more than just guys in plate mail fighting dragons when I play RPGs, okay? If I really wanna do the high-fantasy schtick, I'll go play a Dragon Quest game, or Dragon Age, or Demon's Souls, or Oblivion, or one of the Fables.

High-fantasy and turn-based combat aren't what made those games Final Fantasies. What made them great was the storytelling and epic scale. The setting shouldn't matter. I wouldn't even care if they pulled a Star Ocean and set it in space.

fmatthew5876

Feb 22, 2010
They need to go back to their roots and find out what was so good about some of their classic titles like FF4,5,6,7, fftactics, chrono trigger, xenogears, etc... (Hint: the stories and characters didn't suck) Forget what the west is saying about the JRPG genre. Stick to your guns and come out with something decent.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
digital warrior said:
So I'm not a true fan cause i hate bad game play and storytelling?
True fans can see the flaws inherent in a game or series and want better, you are a fanboy and love it because it is FF. If FF was not on the title would you have cared about this game in any way, shape or form?
Well the story and game-play was really good, if you didn't like it you're not really a final fantasy fan. I thought the game was pretty amazing regardless of its' title.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
The graphical upgrade to the final fantasy series was nice but the battle system has got to go. there is nothing wrong with turned based battles where you control your entire party. I know SquareEnix thinks there doing somthing new and awsome with the gambit system of ff12 and the paradime system of ff13 but all there really doing is taking away control from the user in a genre where your control is limited to begin with.

FF13 is like Dragons lair, both games look great but really all your doing is watching a movie and hitting the right button when prompted. this is not good gameplay. SqureEnix needs to either go back to normal turned based game play or take the leap to real time combat like in kingdom hearts.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
There was a place in the Final Fantasy franchise that really called out to me.
I suggest they bring it back there,or at least use that places gameplay mechanics.
That place was Balamb Garden. I DEMAND DRAW/JUNCTION WITH PROPER GUNBLADES! /Fanboyrant

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
How about they take it to the dumpster out back? They've driven that dead horse long enough.

No need to get violent, I'm half joking.

I suppose that means I'm also half not.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I have two suggestions as to where to take the franchise... (1) A graveyard (2) A rubbish dump. I'm good with either.

Mr. Win

Jan 23, 2010
Ideal game, since some others were doing it:
World:
-Seamless world, roughly the size of 12's Ivalice. And teleport crystals that function like 12, as well.
-Structure the world a bit like 7-9, with plenty of easter eggs and colorful locations.
-Give towns prerendered backgrounds (I was playing 9 recently and was struck by how beautiful the locations are, despite it being a PS1 game. While I obviously wouldn't want that for dungeons, I think it would be good to give it to towns.)

Battle System:
-Make it impossible for the game to entirely play itself, yet give the player options for a Gambit-like system. Do this by prohibiting AI for the party leader.
-Mix the paradigm and gambit system (i.e. paradigms for set gambit structures, allowing for an easy switch between strategies)
-Make it about as fast as 13, but with changeable speeds if the player desires (slow being easy mode)

Character Customization:
This is the hardest to do because the ideal fit is something that gives the characters individuality in combat while still allowing a wealth of character customization. 6 and 10 did this best. So FHEH I can't decide anything.

Story, though, that could be anything as long as:
a) There are few plotholes.
b) Leaves a large amount of mythology for the player to unearth by themselves (unlike FF13's datalog)
c) The character interaction is handled like it sometimes was in FF13, where the characters will discuss something without it switching to cutscenes.
d) The characters are well-rounded and the dialogue feels like it was written instead of translated (as in the case of FF12)
e) Give the option for no voices. SILLY I know but I can't imagine it being that harmful to the production team, and some people would like it.

TG MLPDashie

Apr 9, 2010
i
Arehexes said:
scoober1111 said:
Jbird said:
Hmm... Where is Final Fantasy suppose to go... Less fucking sci-fi/Anime bullcrap and more actual fantasy, please. And proper storytelling, too. No more footnote menus.
are you a moron. IT'S ALWAYS BEEN ANIME YOU RETARD. dude if you don't know about what where talking about don't get involved.
I played and prefer the older ones and I really don't see a anime connection (I do see one with 7, 10, 12 and 13). But I remember the first one being based off D&D the second one was a knock off of star wars episode 4. Is it based on anime because it's made from japan, if so that's pretty closed minded of you. Also no need to call names here it's just a forums, I bet you wouldn't be yelling that crap in someones face in real life.
i actually yell at morons in real life like that

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
The Final Fantasy series started to get good at around Final Fantasy V, and stopped being good after Final Fantasy IX. So in my opinion, no real Final Fantasy game has ever really been produced since the ninth installment...

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Phoenixlight said:
digital warrior said:
So I'm not a true fan cause i hate bad game play and storytelling?
True fans can see the flaws inherent in a game or series and want better, you are a fanboy and love it because it is FF. If FF was not on the title would you have cared about this game in any way, shape or form?
Well the story and game-play was really good, if you didn't like it you're not really a final fantasy fan. I thought the game was pretty amazing regardless of its' title.
Ok so I'm not a fan cause I have a different opinion than you and like worlds that are more then 40 hours of hallways with little in the way for exploration? What is you definition of a fan, a man who likes all of them even the bad ones (8,10,10-2,11, 12 was soso)?
Or maybe I'm just a fan of good games and good story telling, not a shit game with poorly written characters that have little emotional impact or grouth and were i have to read hours for extra text just to understand the bullshit story.
Yahtzee said it best, "your supposed to weave exposition into the narrative not hand the viewer a fucking glossary as the walk into the theater", he lasted 5 i only got to 8 myself before i was bored to tears, the only way i would play this again is if i had insomnia cause this game is a sure fire cure.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
oranger said:
You know what I'd like to see? good storytelling from ff6. There has literally been nothing like it since in this series.
THIS

I blame current gen graphics. It was enormously easier to build whole, distinct towns filled with npcs in comparison to what it would take in current gen. They should be a way around the insane cost of creating an expansive world like before. Take the assets of the upcoming FF XIV mmorpg if needed!