Square Enix lost $48M over Avengers

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I legit have no interest in this game. It always looked unappealing. SE should just make more FF games or bring back Chrono Trigger or something.
Did you play the extra content in the DS version of Chrono Trigger? I won't say it was bad; but it was definetly subpar to the rest of the game. They already lost their sparkle.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This game should have been, with even half way competent direction, the easiest sell in the history of gaming. It’s the fucking Avengers with an expanded roster of fan favourites. I should have had this hooked into my veins for the last few months.
Ultimate Alliance 3 just gets more appealing by the minute in comparison.

Is it Squeenix's fault, or Crystal Dynamics'? I've heard nothing conclusive on either possibility, and there's nothing saying it's not a little from Column A and a little from Column B.
As far as I am concerned: All of the Above. CD, SE, and Disney are all at fault.

I was right that Max_Dood was too nice to the game. Because I can tell he will try to forget about what he said about the game. Kinda hard to do, so hopefully he will admit that the game was and is complete shit. Most likely though, he will try not to bring it up in conversation.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
So it looks like according to the multiple sources, the loss is either $48M or $63M.
This tweet right here best sums up this outcome IMO.

Also, Anthem apparently sold more. Think on that.
Maybe the new Nier and FF game can help them recover. Maybe next time try not to sell games based on pop-culture popularity?

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also, Anthem apparently sold more. Think on that.
That is one of the most amazing achievements in the history of mankind!

Maybe the new Nier and FF game can help them recover. Maybe next time try not to sell games based on pop-culture popularity?
They'll be fine. If Avengers put them in that huge of afinanical risk, then SE really needs to rethink all of their business strategies.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Did you play the extra content in the DS version of Chrono Trigger? I won't say it was bad; but it was definetly subpar to the rest of the game. They already lost their sparkle.
That's the only version of the game I played cause the original was never released where I lived sadly.

And I mean, that was a cheap DS port with something minor thrown in, that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about something that you can lose 48 million dollars making if you make it bad, something with real effort and resources put into it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Maybe next time try not to sell games based on pop-culture popularity?
Conceptually there's nothing wrong with this. Just, make a better game. Like if they spent almost the fucking budget of Infinity War on it, spend some of it line the pockets of the actors so Captain America can look like Chris Evans etc. Like I said before, this should have been the easiest fucking goal to kick because the goalie's having a stroke and his teammates are struck dumb. And somehow, they've turned this into an own goal. That kind of failure is almost impressive in and of itself.

Almost.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Conceptually there's nothing wrong with this. Just, make a better game. Like if they spent almost the fucking budget of Infinity War on it, spend some of it line the pockets of the actors so Captain America can look like Chris Evans etc. Like I said before, this should have been the easiest fucking goal to kick because the goalie's having a stroke and his teammates are struck dumb. And somehow, they've turned this into an own goal. That kind of failure is almost impressive in and of itself.

Almost.
I agree. Look at the Arkham series. Nolan's Batman films were popular at the time, and the Arkham games surely benefited from that. But the benefited way more from the fact that they were good games.

This Avengers game is bizarre, because its not even a trashy movie-tie in game. They actually made their own universe and all, just turned out to be a shit one. I hope they can turn it around though, Marvel deserves some good games besides Spider-man.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It looked like a creatively-bereft microtransaction-filled "live service" cash grab. I'm not terribly surprised it went the way of Anthem.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It looked like a creatively-bereft microtransaction-filled "live service" cash grab. I'm not terribly surprised it went the way of Anthem.
I'm just surprised that an Avengers game sold worse than Anthem. Sold worse than Anthem!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I legit have no interest in this game. It always looked unappealing. SE should just make more FF games or bring back Chrono Trigger or something.
A Mother 3 port would be nice.

An official one, I mean.

This game should have been, with even half way competent direction, the easiest sell in the history of gaming. It’s the fucking Avengers with an expanded roster of fan favourites. I should have had this hooked into my veins for the last few months.
It's what happens when you make the assumption you're going to make a bundle no matter what so you don't bother to put in the work to make it happen.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just surprised that an Avengers game sold worse than Anthem. Sold worse than Anthem!
Actually, to be honest, I am a bit surprised. I would have expected name-recognition alone would have carried it past that point. Plus, there seemed to be more hype for it than there was for Anthem.

I guess it all dissipated as soon as it became clear what kind of game it was gearing up to be. There's some appetite for ongoing "live service"-style games, but... not nearly as much as producers and studios seem to think.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It does make some sense when you think about it. Anthem was a brand-new IP from (the rotting, EA-animated corpse of) a beloved developer; there was nothing to compare it to, no way to truly evaluate it until it splurted out of the rancid pustule in which it formed, and people fell for the hype. But the Avengers are a super-popular property with loads of content for comparison, and even from the get-go it was pretty readily apparent that there wasn't much in the way of artistic effort applied to this product.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Well if MVCI was any indication working with any current Disney property these days is like pulling teeth because everything needs to be done in a very very very particular way.

Not that SE and CD are completely without blame on it, but a lot of the games biggest issues reek of the boardroom.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah I agree, the premise had some promise, as at least on some level, it was hinting at the idea of "the Avengers are out of the picture, now new people have to step into the void and save the day." Which is so much legacy fuel as to launch my happy ass into orbit. And having Ms. Marvel at the front of it, I'm just like, "Yes, all the yeses in the world, YES." But, then I saw the game itself, and was like "yeah...um, no. Not a penny of my money shall grace the halls of this game!"

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It does make some sense when you think about it. Anthem was a brand-new IP from (the rotting, EA-animated corpse of) a beloved developer; there was nothing to compare it to, no way to truly evaluate it until it splurted out of the rancid pustule in which it formed, and people fell for the hype. But the Avengers are a super-popular property with loads of content for comparison, and even from the get-go it was pretty readily apparent that there wasn't much in the way of artistic effort applied to this product.
Not only that, but the world now had the comparison of Anthem's failure to compare it to. And as they saw all the same benchmarks of an Anthem clone showing up with the Avengers game, they weren't just "well let's wait and see", they were going "nope, this is another Anthem, clear as day. Nope, not falling for this shit again."

I mean I didn't even play Anthem and that was one of my thoughts seeing the Avengers material, and it's definitely one of the key reasons I avoided it entirely.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well if MVCI was any indication working with any current Disney property these days is like pulling teeth because everything needs to be done in a very very very particular way.

Not that SE and CD are completely without blame on it, but a lot of the games biggest issues reek of the boardroom.
Marvel Ultimate alliance 3, is one of the few times that a board room decided not to interfere too much. there was still originally going to be pay DLC in that game, but they cut it out the last minute. You can tell because all the jem xp and perks you have to grind in that game.

Not only that, but the world now had the comparison of Anthem's failure to compare it to. And as they saw all the same benchmarks of an Anthem clone showing up with the Avengers game, they weren't just "well let's wait and see", they were going "nope, this is another Anthem, clear as day. Nope, not falling for this shit again."

I mean I didn't even play Anthem and that was one of my thoughts seeing the Avengers material, and it's definitely one of the key reasons I avoided it entirely.
This just makes UA3 all the more look appealing by a comparison. I would get it, but Nintendo rarely ever price just their stuff, just like Disney. It's been a full year and they're still charging $60 for this game. If I can find somebody that's selling it for 40 or less, I will get it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Oh, they don't need to recover, Final Fantasy 14 prints money and FF7R did very well, they can afford to make plenty of mistakes. The most damage this will do will be inflicted on the live service concept as more and more games of this format fail to survive past their opening quarter, much less years down the roadmap.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Oh, they don't need to recover, Final Fantasy 14 prints money and FF7R did very well, they can afford to make plenty of mistakes. The most damage this will do will be inflicted on the live service concept as more and more games of this format fail to survive past their opening quarter, much less years down the roadmap.
And absolutely nothing of value was lost...

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
A Mother 3 port would be nice.

An official one, I mean.
Square never had anything to do with Mother 3. That was all Nintendo.

OT: Might as well just repeat what I said on the last Avengers thread. "Marvel's Avengers: There Is No Game, Give Us All Your Money" and with that in mind, it's no wonder nobody did.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Square never had anything to do with Mother 3. That was all Nintendo.

OT: Might as well just repeat what I said on the last Avengers thread. "Marvel's Avengers: There Is No Game, Give Us All Your Money" and with that in mind, it's no wonder nobody did.
You're right. My bad.

For some reason I was thinking it was SE.