Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Waaghpowa said:
I don't remember anyone complaining about racism in the first game over the Chinese accents. I'm Chinese and I didn't see it as a big deal, people need to relax about these kinds of things.
Ha... yeah. That's not going to happen.

OT: If that's racist, then I should to argue every portrayal of Irish people in American Media is racist.

But I, frankly, am too drunk to.

astrav1

Jul 6, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Hey.

The Deus Ex vocal racism is funny as hell to me. Breaks my immersion a bit. But makes me laugh.

I, personally, didn't feel that anyone should be offended, then again...I'm a white male.

Besides, remember the accents from DE1?

Yeah...

Woercome to tha rucky mony!

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
What is this world becoming? People find offensive things everywhere! And being offended doesn't even mean anything. It doesn't do anything. When you're offended nothing happens. Nothing at all. Get over it pussies. Grow the fuck up and get over it.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
plus2exp said:
A quick google search on Evan Narcisse reveals that he went to high school and college in New York. Obviously he hasn't spent much time down south, like Alabama for instance, which just so happens to be where I live. There is nothing racist at all about the character's portrayal in that video. I encounter people who talk like that every single day here.
Louisiana native here, and you've pretty much hit the nail on the head. Having probably never met anyone who talks like that in New York (where I live now), he might have assumed that nobody actually talks like that. It's hardly race related either. I've met throngs of white, Latin, and Asian people that talk like that.

Remember: Stereotypes are colorful exaggerations of certain aspects of a particular culture, but they have to come from somewhere.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Well considering I live in Detroit and I've encountered homeless people who sound exactly like that, I wouldn't call it a racist character. All stereotypes have an ounce of truth, after all... this is just one we wish didn't exist but still does. Whoever is complaining about this is just making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
Wut ?
Next we iss gonna be forcin all them pee cee vidya games to be speakin that there fancified Eenglish becoz all them folks be hatin' .

People are all too eager to toss out the racist card to get attention, they especially love to jump on popular bandwagons and try hitch a ride out of obscurity.
Game should be protected as a form of art and communication, and unless the game specifically encourages players to be racists ( like say a KKK propoganda disguised as a game ), then in game dialouge should be treated as acting a role.

I get offended at some games attempt to portray a proper enlish accent in games, dont hear me ranting about racists yanks messing up my lingo :p

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
This isn't quite as dumb as the RE5 complaints("How dare they perpetuate the stereotype that black people live in Africa!"), but it's pretty close. As many other people have pointed out, there really are people who speak like this and I've met some of them.

Ian Caronia

Jan 5, 2010
She calls him "Capt" because he was the leader of a SWAT team and a cop before.
She says nothing racist the entire time, not about black or white people.
She is poor, so she digs in the trash. I come from a family who took me with them for bottle collecting when I was young back before we had a home.

Evan Narcisse, you have offended me more than any stereotype from the 50s ever could. How DARE you tell me my background and my past friends (who spoke much like this NPC does) are "racial stereotypes"? Who do you think you are saying people who act like this NPC are living stereotypes?
By saying this character is a sign of racism, that's EXACTLY what you're doing. You're saying those who act like her are stereotypes. THAT is racism. I am NOT a stereotype, and neither are the guys I used to hang out with!

You've grossly offended me to the point where I am going to email this to you. Or to Time's Techland blog. Likely both if possible.

You confused bad voice acting with racism, and made remarks that imply anyone who is stricken with poverty to have to dig through trash or ask for hand-outs, as well as anyone who speaks with a certain slang, is a walking stereotype. I demand an apology.

Sincerely, Ian Caronia.

...And I will email that to this person ASAP. Looking for an address to do so now.

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. You can't contact the blog unless you subscribe. That's very shrewd of them. Post rediculous content that gets people mad enough to subscribe just to confront you. It's actually a diabolical business practice. Too bad there are other communication outlets I can work through to show this guy how much he offended me.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This guy lost all credibility to me when it was revealed that he thought RE5 was racist. Holy shit, there are black people in Africa! Anything else would be racist...

winter2

Oct 10, 2009
I fail to see what is so racist about that. I encounter plenty of people that talk like that and sometimes with an even heavier.. shall we say... accent.

So where this dude is coming from I have no idea. It might be that he is the one that is out of touch with reality.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Oh it's just some easily offended person. This is just as ridiculous as the RE5 racism claim. Maybe I would agree here if every black person in the game talked like that but since that's not the case, I don't see the point in saying that this is racist. I'm damn sure that Eidos never had any racist intentions when they made the game.
Narcisse's claim is just the product of too much political correctness.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Yet no one was angry about Gunther or Anna Navarre's voice acting in DE1 being obvious allusions to racial backgrounds (Namely, German/Austrian for the former and Russian/Serbian (I think?) for the latter). Or the various OTHER accents that Deus Ex 1 did?

I bet these are the same people who said RE5 was racist because there were black zombies in the game, yet they didn't bat an eyelash towards RE4's endless cavalcade of Spanish zombies. Shows what they know, I guess.

GnarlyNerd

Sep 1, 2011
@plus2exp

Thank you! I live in Mobile, AL and can assure you that TONS of black women talk like that. Not just black women, either. I hear white people, Mexicans, even a couple Vietnamese girls I know talk just like that. It may be a tad exaggerated, but it's based on an actual dialect that, despite what he believes, still exists today. Maybe he should throw a fit for people still talking that way.

Also, I fail to see how this can make the developers racist since there are a few more black women in the game who have good jobs and speak proper English. Letitia clearly does not represent the entire black population in this game.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
My job has me talking to people on the phone all day, from across the entire nation. And I talk to at least 2-3 people DAILY that have that same accent. It's not racist, it's including a culture. Being racist would be including only white people in the game while the only minorities would be those being killed.

May 29, 2011
Of course it's racist, because everybody knows possible racism = definite racism.

In fact we should go light these people houses on fire, racist pricks allways making premature judgments based on something superficial! That'll teach tea- oh wait.

ProfessorEkim

Jul 23, 2011
If you ask me, this "Evan Narcisse" fellow is the racist one here. Like OP said, both white and black people have that accent, it's only racist if you let it.

Sep 14, 2009
...so?

there were tons of poor "white trash" characters in the game/other games, am i supposed to get angsty and up in arms over that?

fuck no, jesus christ, it's a game.