Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Racist? I ride with three of this lady on the bus. And they are LOUD, I can hear them through my headphones. So not racist but creepy seeing as they must have recorded this while I was on the bus.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
The only offensive thing in that video (and I'd imagine the rest of the game) is the uncanniest of valleys.

Declaring things as racist is beginning to lose any weight, people are just throwing it around for the tiniest of things it would seem. Then again, 'racist' only appears to apply to horrible acts against black people when the media is concerned (unless you are Italian-American of course). If you want all races to be of equal footing then be prepared to take a little hit every now and then, everyone has their turn at being the fallguy then.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Racist? No. A bit manly? ...Depends on your definition of "a bit" O_O

I'm sorry but easily offended people need to stop spewing their bile on to the internet where people can actually see it. Don't let him see TF2, he'll have a field day on how "racist" and "stereotypical" it is .__.

Why any time that a black person is portrayed in a video game as a bit street or as an enemy do people start getting all "PC" about it. It's not PC, it's just stupid. I mean really, isn't it more racist to start saying that you can't put a person in a video game because they're a certain colour? Black protagonist killing white enemies gets stamped racist because it portrays a "negative racial stereotype" about black people. White protagonist killing black enemies also gets stamped as racist because it portrays "white power". When you start doing stuff like that, you just further that agenda that people are different because of their race.

But of course there are many people too stupid to listen to that who will always further a stereotype by either being a racist or too easily offended when it comes to racial issues.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
As a black male I can say, that's not racist. But the voice acting for Lelita is absolutely horrible. People who complain about stuff like this need to get off their high horse.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Now my question is: Why is she digging through garbage after I paid her 2,000 credits for imformation???

Oh yeah, and racist troll is racist, I get that.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Here´s a fun idea:
maybe people who know fuck-all about linguistics should not utilize it to call other people racist.

The "so far removed from any actual slang that it renders the character practically extra-terrestrial"-comment alone is so mind-numbingly dumb that I actually had to read it twice.
Does this guy have the faintest idea how many different "slangs" can be identified in, let´s say, a single American city of moderate size ?
What is an "actual slang", anyway ?
One that you just happened to hear in your short life, in which you interacted with a very small subset of some speakers of a few language ?

DanielBrown said:
I'm more bothered with the protagonists voice. What's happened to his throat?
I like to think his throat got crushed and they had to implant him with a voice-chip, that due to a design-error was loaded with Christian Bale doing Batman. Made the game so much more enjoyable.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Weird, when I went to Detroit half the people i talked to had a psuedo-southern, or to be honest, Ebonic accent. Even though most of the people i talked to were white.

I'm pretty sure 16 years in the future people in Detroit that accent will still be prevalent.

I haven't played the game but maybe the character in question has a backstory that she's from rural Alabama or something.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
DanielBrown said:
Well he didget thrown through a glass panel and shot in the head, also I like his voice :3

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
DanielBrown said:
He received the gratuitous "Christian Bale's Batman" augmentation for it. Or maybe he smokes too much, dunno...
EDIT: Goddamn bloody ninjas. *bat anti-ninja spray*

Anyway, I did not perceive Letitia as a racist caricature at all when I first ran into her. If anything, I thought she was a male to female transperson. Something about her voice pattern (specifically its depth) and the relative blockiness of her face...dunno, that was my first thought anyway. But hell, even if that were the case, there's still nothing wrong with her character! She's genuinely interesting, and fits quite well into that distopian version of Detroit (oh hang on, is there any other way to describe Detroit?). Besides, the rest of the melanin spectrum is also represented in the ranks of the local homeless population. So I fail to see the problem.

In all seriousness though, has Mr. Narcisse ever run into a homeless person before? They hardly if ever speak proper English. I also find it quite interesting how he considers himself to be speaking for all black people in decrying some nonexistent racism in a bloody video game. But hey, whatever he can get off to...

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
There was hardly anything racist about that video or that character. There ARE black folk in the world that sound like this, hell I've met WHITE folk that sound like this. Quite a bit more than I thought, actually. I don't see why this character would cause any problems. I've never come across any character in the game that speaks like that(mostly because I never knew Latitia actually existed, never seen the character before), so why is it such a problem? It's not like they're making all the black NPCs like that.

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
The first time I talked to her, I thought "Wow, a transsexual character! What a nice touch of diversity!"

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
These types of characters do happen a bit too often in media though, and have spread some negative stereotypes about black people that will be hard to undo.

Like Barret of Final Fantasy VII, it's not racist perhaps in and of itself, but it could be seen as part of a larger trend that is negative for black people.

Speaking of calling racism where there is none,
http://www.gameology.org/essays/the_orientalist_perspective_cultural_imperialism_in_gaming
According to this, if you like ninjas there's a good chance you're partaking in imperialism.

You know, I do agree that in a globalist world, British culture does get a little bit of privilege. And that Japan has had a history of imperializing Asia. But the point they're taking it is simply ridiculous demonization of innocent things. As if the West is enslaving Japan and Japan is enslaving Asia or something. I'm getting flashbacks to Code Geass. It's utterly ridiculous and why I cringe everytime I hear statements like "cultural imperialism". Because I've run into far too many experiences with the term being used to mean "the West sucks".

Honestly, the West and Japan aren't as bad and don't cause near as many problems as some people say we do.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I could understand his point if all the hobos in the game were black, but they weren't. There were plenty of white hobos around the streets aswell.

why is it a problem just because the one he interacts with is black? It's not like she's a minstrel or something.