Square Enix Says DRM Is Here To Stay

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
What you need is facts and figures from companies who've CHANGED their business model in the real world. There are plenty of those around, and the figures are fairly conclusive. If you make legal access to your content easier and more convenient, piracy rates drop.
Then by all means, show me.
Burden of proof.

Now what you should be asking me here is "do I have any evidence to support that contention, evidence that I can cite in this thread?"... And no, unfortunately I don't.
That's effectively what I'm asking: show me proof.
If you have none, then please don't make statements like these:

When companies make their products more convenient to obtain online, piracy rates drop. That's been proven time and time again.
Don't get me wrong: I want to believe that DRM-free games carry more appeal and can make up the loss otherwise incurred by piracy because that's how I personally operate. But that's purely anecdotal, and a flimsy thing.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
What you need is facts and figures from companies who've CHANGED their business model in the real world. There are plenty of those around, and the figures are fairly conclusive. If you make legal access to your content easier and more convenient, piracy rates drop.
Then by all means, show me.
Burden of proof.

Now what you should be asking me here is "do I have any evidence to support that contention, evidence that I can cite in this thread?"... And no, unfortunately I don't.
That's effectively what I'm asking: show me proof.
If you have none, then please don't make statements like these:

When companies make their products more convenient to obtain online, piracy rates drop. That's been proven time and time again.
Don't get me wrong: I want to believe that DRM-free games carry more appeal and can make up the loss otherwise incurred by piracy because that's how I personally operate. But that's purely anecdotal, and a flimsy thing.
Argh, yer right... I can't make a contention like that and leave it without any evidence. Finding actual figures rather than just "opinions" is difficult on the fly, but here goes.

This'll do for starters:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/02/27/music-sales-up-piracy-down/

Here's an opinion piece that at least includes a couple of relevant figures:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2013/11/27/the-lie-that-fuels-the-music-industrys-paranoia/

And another one from someone who could be presumed to know what he's talking about although no figures are mentioned in it (yes, it's an "appeal to authority" argument here, but the authority in question at least has some credibility on the subject in question):

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/05/05/growing-netflix-presence-lowering-piracy-rates/

I'm sure there's WAY more than this out there on the subject, but what I've found will do for starters. It's a bit of evidence in favour of my point that piracy drops when legal services are available at least.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Strazdas said:
you are calling it what it is by using wrong terms and false claims even after being proven by multiple sources to be wrong?
I'm sorry, were you saying something?

I can repeat myself too.
Except that no pirate was ever tried in court. Only people owning distribution sites and in few rare cases distributors themselves. there is no precedent in whole world of a download being tried. Oh, and they dont all go to criminal court either.
Really, because a simple web search of "piracy court cases" brought up a list of cases about individual pirates that went all the way up to, but refused to be heard by, the Supreme Court. I never said the ALL did. I said the ones you see GETTING ARRESTED go to criminal court.

Do you have to call the door company every time you want to unlock a lock? no? then it is not like a lock.
DRM is a security that works differently, therefore using locks is a false analogy.
Depending on the level of security, yes I have had to. I have had to use key card readers, number pads, physical keys, and/or being "buzzed in" (aka calling someone to let you in). These are all locks, different levels of security sure but locks none the less. But just to humor you, what would you call it if a door was intentionally kept shut until you showed you had authorization to open it? Be it key, code, card, and/or 3rd party verification? And just to hammer it home, do card readers and electronic number pads not check with the security server to ensure you have the right decryption key? Are they not locks too then because they check with a 3rd party first? What are they?

Any publisher/developer that does not think draconian DRM is the only answer. which is the majority of PC and mobile market. The way the companies cant throw their weight around was proven with Xbox 180
I literally already made a counterpoint to every one of your points here in the last two posts. Mobile market leaders are MS and Apple so if MS went full draconian Apple would follow very closely behind. The only reason MS did the 180 is because they were alone. My scenario had Sony follow through with their initial plans that were very similar to MS'.