Square Pumping Up Final Fantasy V for PSN Release

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Pumping Up Final Fantasy V for PSN Release

Square Enix is bringing Final Fantasy V to the PlayStation Network with a little bit of new content.

Square Enix's Final Fantasy V [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-V-Advance-Game-Boy/dp/B000HE9LEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302011271&sr=8-2] never made it out of Japan on its original platform (the Super Nintendo). In the West, Square released Final Fantasy IV as Final Fantasy II (because it didn't localize the NES's actual Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III), and then skipped Final Fantasy V to release Final Fantasy VI as Final Fantasy III. It was a whole thing. Thankfully, Square Enix is now putting together a brand new release of Final Fantasy V for the PlayStation Network, and even throwing in some new content.

Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy V is coming to the PlayStation Network for the PSP and PS3 with all-new cinematic sequences. It'll also feature, well, nothing else new. Sorry. Something is better than nothing, I suppose.

Later, Square did release Final Fantasy V in the West for the Game Boy Advance and in the PS1's Final Fantasy Anthology [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Anthology-Playstation/dp/B00002R28C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302011271&sr=8-1]. Anyone that missed these titles now have something else to look forward to that will (probably) never go out of print.

Final Fantasy V is an interesting game. It doesn't have the storytelling strength of the memorable Final Fantasy IV or the amazing Final Fantasy VI, but it does come with a pretty cool job system. While a switchable job system was first seen in Final Fantasy III (NES version), it didn't hit its stride until Final Fantasy V. Players could not only change their characters' classes, but transfer skills from previously held classes to new ones to create hybrid types (i.e. healing knights).

While the job system might be one of the more interesting components of Final Fantasy V, it also features some memorable tunes and the story isn't that bad, it just doesn't compare to other Final Fantasy efforts. At $10 or so ($5 in our dreams), it'll be worth a trip down job system memory lane. Square Enix didn't say when it plans to release Final Fantasy V on the PSN, just that it's "in development."

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

I adore the job system and combat of 5.

You're dead on saying the story isn't terribly good, but dear god was the job system perfect. I love mixing classes together.

Also, Butz.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Yeah. I'm definitely picking this up when it's out on PSN. Huzzah!

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Ooo, will definitely have to pick this up. I played it on the PS1 back in the day but never managed to beat it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Chibz said:
See you think it's a good idea but you're just paying for them to make something even worse for Final Fantasy XV. If you bail them out they'll never learn their lesson.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Never was my favorite, but if its cheap enough, I would like to encourage the same treatment of FF6.

Floyd Norman

Apr 5, 2011
If you have a Japanese Account on your PS3 you can go to the PSN and Download ff 1,2,4,5,6 in one Package in their PS1 Glory. So f**k waiting for this.
I think I should also mention THEY COME IN ENGLISH!

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Speaking of the Game Boy Advance version, my local electronics store still happens to have one and I have been contemplating whether or not to buy it for a long time. I would love to have it, but I am not sure if it is worth 40 Euros. =/

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
manythings said:
See you think it's a good idea but you're just paying for them to make something even worse for Final Fantasy XV. If you bail them out they'll never learn their lesson.
But I don't care what they do with recent final fantasy games, because final fantasy sucks now.

So how is it a BAD idea to only buy the FF games who's quality I can stand behind?

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Ah good, I always liked V but I never got a chance to complete it. Hopefully it's re-translated so Faris won't sound like a complete idiot, I couldn't stand how she talked in the Anthology version. The job system is really where this game shines.

To commemorate this good news, I shall play a song.

[youtube=6CMTXyExkeI

SanguineSymphony

Jan 25, 2011
manythings said:
Chibz said:
That seems backwards... If he were buying their shittier NEW games that would be one thing. But the classics are just that Classics. That and most former Square/SquareSoft fans don't give a fuck about the current shit they release.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
Tom Phoenix said:
Speaking of the Game Boy Advance version, my local electronics store still happens to have one and I have been contemplating whether or not to buy it for a long time. I would love to have it, but I am not sure if it is worth 40 Euros. =/
While I'm not sure its worth that much, the gba version is loved for having a really good, charming, humorous dub, with western references like power rangers and LotR. If you want a version with a good dub, I'd reccomend it.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
*shakes head* and we get another rererererelease or remake...this is why the majority of new games out of square enix and actually made by square enix aren't very good...they've forgotten how to actually make new games..

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

I adore the job system and combat of 5.

You're dead on saying the story isn't terribly good, but dear god was the job system perfect. I love mixing classes together.

Also, Butz.
Yes yes yes yes yes! :D

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Even though I own the game on PS1 already I'll probably get this too. To the local EB games to buy a PSN card!