SSX Review

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Wait, what, they force you to use more than one character? Interest just decreased somewhat... Might wait for a price drop rather than my next money top-up then.

May 17, 2010
ace_of_something said:
The real question is... what does SSX stand for?
Super snazzy Xylophone.

Hmm I've always had a soft spot for snowboarding games. Don't know why but something about speeding down a mountain while doing stupid tricks seems innately appealing to me.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Super Snow Cross?

All i know is a few friends were amazingly psyched about playing this then tried the demo. Apparently its a wee bit over-hyped, i think ill wait til its on the pre-owned shelf.

--------------------------
Edit:

Snowboarding Super Cross. (did a quick google) i was close

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Would love something like this on PC.

Very fond memories of the others on PS2, this seems like a worthy successor.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I've always liked snowboarding games, I think my very first PS2 game was Shawn Palmer's Pro snowboarding, SUCH a fun game

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The real question is, how does it compare to SSX3 as that's easily the best game in the series? :)

Either way, it sounds good and if March wasn't already kicking my wallet while it's down I'd probably be on the slopes already. Maybe in a month or two when the price is likely to be a bit lower and I've got less on my gaming plate.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Technically, in this game "Surfing Snowboarding MotoXross", but it'll always be "Snowboarding Super Xross" to me.

I am loving the game, it updated pretty much everything it needed to be more viable in the new market. I'd say it mixes the best of Tricky and SSX3, taking the insane tracks and mixing them together with how huge and open they are, letting you discover the best places to grab huge air or make it down the mountain fast enough. Though it doesn't have nearly as much personality as the previous games, which disappoints me. While the characters were interchangeable stat wise in previous games, they at least had personality between them, like distinctive clothes and catchphrases. The clothes here are just reskins, and the catchphrases are few and far between ("I think I'm gonna call this one Mac n' Cheese!").

Also, slight nit pick, but I feel that the use of motion comics in the story mode to introduce the characters was kind of lazy. Everything else is stuffed with nuance and detail, from the tracks to the layout, but the comic layout just seems like a copout.

Regardless, it is a worthy successor for the SSX franchise. The fact that they kept the "classic" control method from previous games shows just how much they wanted this game to be good, and they've more than succeeded in my eyes.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
StriderShinryu said:
The real question is, how does it compare to SSX3 as that's easily the best game in the series? :)

Either way, it sounds good and if March wasn't already kicking my wallet while it's down I'd probably be on the slopes already. Maybe in a month or two when the price is likely to be a bit lower and I've got less on my gaming plate.
As SSX3 was also my favorite in the series, I'd say it definitely lives up to it, if faltering just a bit in certain aspects. Like, you can't specifically explore a track like in SSX3, and there aren't any subchallenges on those tracks (which would have been awesome if they put that stuff in, but what are you going to do?), and not quite as much personality, but still a great game. Definitely pick it up if you can.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
StriderShinryu said:

It's better than SSX 3. I do wish you could upgrade your boarder's stats as you saw fit (there's no stat assignment at all in SSX), but the online portion of the game is just plain outstanding. The Global Events and having your friends as Rivals adds *so* much to the addictiveness and replay of this.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I always prefered Tricky out of the whole series, something about busting out the stunts with RUN DMC pounding just felt right

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
I happen to enjoy this new SSX. The new control scheme feels a little more comfortable than the dual-triggering nature of its predecessors, the Global Events and RiderNet recommendations always give you something to do, and it's still undeniably fun to barrel through a tight cluster of trees and banked turns just before launching yourself for massive air and spinning your snowboard around your throat like a hula hoop.

Also, Geotags. It's one thing for a game to encourage you to explore the world with hidden doodads. It's an altogether different (and personally, more gratifying) experience when you're searching for the perfect drop zone for your own hidden doodads. Y u no mention in review?

RyePunk

Dec 5, 2008
I really enjoy the game. But the music, my god. I hate the music in this. I fell in love with Tricky and 3's music, but I went through and turned off all the songs I didn't like in this, and now there are 4 songs on rotation. In SSX3 I at least had like 8 tracks left when I purged the stuff I didn't like. However, playing with the music off really showcases some of the great sounds effects they put in.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pipotchi said:
I always prefered Tricky out of the whole series, something about busting out the stunts with RUN DMC pounding just felt right
You know they're in this one, too, right? :)

FinalFreak16

Mar 23, 2010
In my opinion what it does, it does very well. The online components are great, especially if you have a few friends to to compete with. (it actively incourages you to add new players as friends as well as friends of those friends to have more rivals in the game).

What I do miss however are features like split-screen play and being able to compete online at the same time in an event with others. Sure you can create a custom event and invite others to race it but your only competing against each others times or score.

Also this game needs a metro city style level dammit!

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Pipotchi said:
dubstep remixes don't count :p

---

I think that generally speaking, ppl that preferred ssx3 to tricky will like this game, ppl that preferred tricky to ssx 3 will probably not.

I'm in the later group.

I do love the wingsuit and obviously things look better but I simply don't experience the same joy playing this that I had playing the older games.

the tracks feel very same-y, I miss the totally unrealistic theme-park style of the old games...those tracks had character.

player skill seems completely removed from success:

-rail/manual balance has been removed.
-landing tricks seems pretty much guaranteed. seriously, I don't think I've failed once from not releasing early enough..even uber tricks seem to auto-cancel midway through if you hit the ground too early.

So where is the difficulty now?

hitting obstacles/hazards you had no way of seeing until after jumping. that's pretty much it.

you fail because you don't know the track, not because you can't execute maneuvers properly.

sure there's that rewind feature, and maybe this is just me, but it doesn't seem to work very well...even if I rewind pretty far back, there never seems to be enough time to actually change your input to correct your course.

and what happens when you do fall off a ledge or lose all momentum in a flat area?

restart the whole track from scratch, including reload screen.

this also punishes players for doing one of the most fun aspects of the older games: exploration. it's pretty much never worth checking out anything that doesn't look obviously part of the track because most of the time it just kicks you back out to loading screen.

---

I have to admit I've only played the "campaign mode" so far, so maybe some of my complaints don't apply to the other modes? that would certainly be good news.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GrandmaFunk said:
Susan Arendt said:
Pipotchi said:
dubstep remixes don't count :p

---

I think that generally speaking, ppl that preferred ssx3 to tricky will like this game, ppl that preferred tricky to ssx 3 will probably not.

I'm in the later group.

I do love the wingsuit and obviously things look better but I simply don't experience the same joy playing this that I had playing the older games.

the tracks feel very same-y, I miss the totally unrealistic theme-park style of the old games...those tracks had character.

player skill seems completely removed from success:

-rail/manual balance has been removed.
-landing tricks seems pretty much guaranteed. seriously, I don't think I've failed once from not releasing early enough..even uber tricks seem to auto-cancel midway through if you hit the ground too early.

So where is the difficulty now?

hitting obstacles/hazards you had no way of seeing until after jumping. that's pretty much it.

you fail because you don't know the track, not because you can't execute maneuvers properly.

sure there's that rewind feature, and maybe this is just me, but it doesn't seem to work very well...even if I rewind pretty far back, there never seems to be enough time to actually change your input to correct your course.

and what happens when you do fall off a ledge or lose all momentum in a flat area?

restart the whole track from scratch, including reload screen.

this also punishes players for doing one of the most fun aspects of the older games: exploration. it's pretty much never worth checking out anything that doesn't look obviously part of the track because most of the time it just kicks you back out to loading screen.

---

I have to admit I've only played the "campaign mode" so far, so maybe some of my complaints don't apply to the other modes? that would certainly be good news.
I'd argue with you about landing every trick no problem. When I use Moby, I can't land a damn thing, and I certainly can't score high enough to beat Griff. The World Tour (story mode) is easily the least fun part of the game. Explore and Global Events are the fun stuff. I do agree that these tracks don't have as much personality, but I still think some of them are outstanding and stupid amounts of fun.