SSX Review

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
SSX may be a bit lacking in a few areas (I miss the gruff "I'm gonna punch you in the face and you're gonna like it" Zoe, and the new control scheme takes some time to get used to), but it's a fun game all in all. I didn't think I'd enjoy the Global Events as much as I do as a whole and constantly trying to stay on top of my friends is more fun to me than a standard tricking competition.

Thomas Hirst

Feb 6, 2012
Actually the developers came up with the title by combining the first letters of Snowboarding, Surfing and Moto X as the gameplay and to a lesser extent the tricks were inspired by a combination of the 3.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The last couple of snowboarding games I've played were Coolboarders 2 on a PlayStation demo disc (I think it was demo #6) and 1080º Snowboarding on the N64. The genre has definitively come a long way ever since and it looks pretty fun too, if I had a console, I'd definitively give it a rental at the very least.

Farrhago

Dec 18, 2010
I haven't played this one yet, but judging from the feedback and the fact that I enjoyed SSX 3 more than Tricky (but only by a slight bit, as both are great), I believe I shall enjoy it. The only issue remaining is this: Do I still get to play as the snowman special character? :D

Stopdoor

Nov 4, 2011
Tharwen said:
Someone please tell me Eddie's back in this one.
He is, with a pretty snazzy bearded redesign [http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/ssx_deadly_descents_conceptart_frnCi.jpg], though unfortunately as a 'pre-order bonus' character, so you'll probably have to buy him for a few dollars somewhere down the line.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Stopdoor said:
Tharwen said:
He is, with a pretty snazzy bearded redesign [http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/ssx_deadly_descents_conceptart_frnCi.jpg], though unfortunately as a 'pre-order bonus' character, so you'll probably have to buy him for a few dollars somewhere down the line.
Well, I can't get SSX anyway because I only have a PC so I just wanted to know that he still existed. I'm glad he does.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Thomas Hirst said:
Actually the developers came up with the title by combining the first letters of Snowboarding, Surfing and Moto X as the gameplay and to a lesser extent the tricks were inspired by a combination of the 3.
lol no, that's a bit of retcon they did to go with the new story, which I believe is intended as a prequel to the original games.

SSX originally meant Snowboard Super Cross. Steve Rechtschaffner, the lead designer and exec producer of the original games actually invented the real sport of Boardercross/Snowboard Cross back in 91. The games were him taking his concept to over-the-top crazyness :)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Tharwen said:
Jumplion said:
ace_of_something said:
catchphrases
"I think I broke my head!"

"Ow! My medula oblongada!"

You can play as Eddie if you preordered the game via Gamestop, and if you didn't I'd imagine they'd sell him as DLC in the near future. I remember they took a poll to see which characters would come back, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did go that route, which is kind of disappointing I think.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
GrandmaFunk said:
Susan Arendt said:
Pipotchi said:
I always prefered Tricky out of the whole series, something about busting out the stunts with RUN DMC pounding just felt right
You know they're in this one, too, right? :)
dubstep remixes don't count :p
Yup. Nothing can truly beat the good olde days [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMRhcrcs5YQ].

I think that generally speaking, ppl that preferred ssx3 to tricky will like this game, ppl that preferred tricky to ssx 3 will probably not.
Actually, I would have classified this new SSX game to more Tricky due to the less exploration based game and more track based, but eh.

player skill seems completely removed from success:

-rail/manual balance has been removed.
-landing tricks seems pretty much guaranteed. seriously, I don't think I've failed once from not releasing early enough..even uber tricks seem to auto-cancel midway through if you hit the ground too early.

So where is the difficulty now?

hitting obstacles/hazards you had no way of seeing until after jumping. that's pretty much it.

you fail because you don't know the track, not because you can't execute maneuvers properly.
I would actually argue that the difficulty is not in executing the moves, but in keeping a combo and trying to squeeze in that extra flip or spin. The SSX games have never made it especially difficult to pull insane tricks (though I'll give you this iteration is a bit easier than others to pull off those moves), the challenge was always in building up your multiplier, chaining combos, and trying to bail (as infrequent as it would be) as little as possible. The approach of a single track drastically changes when you go from tricky to race events, and that change doubles for survival.

sure there's that rewind feature, and maybe this is just me, but it doesn't seem to work very well...even if I rewind pretty far back, there never seems to be enough time to actually change your input to correct your course.
I've never had a problem with that, I can literally rewind just a second or two and I can adjust my input to avoid falling off the cliff. Try moving the analog stick to where you want the character to go just before you release the rewind button, sometimes it's a bit iffy.

and what happens when you do fall off a ledge or lose all momentum in a flat area?

restart the whole track from scratch, including reload screen.
There aren't really too many tracks that involve flat land, and you can always rewind if you fall of a ledge. Though if you are doing a race, or your combo was lost before you fell off the ledge, then yeah, you'd have to restart to get the best score/time. No different than previous SSX games, I think.

this also punishes players for doing one of the most fun aspects of the older games: exploration. it's pretty much never worth checking out anything that doesn't look obviously part of the track because most of the time it just kicks you back out to loading screen.
Yeah, that really did disappoint me. I hoped we could explore the individual tracks without an event being tied to it, but what are you going to do? The maps are big enough, however, that when you are looking for the biggest air and you see your friends' ghosts go a direction you haven't gone before, it can literally change how you approach the track when you discover that extra little tunnel that leads to a separated area.

I have to admit I've only played the "campaign mode" so far, so maybe some of my complaints don't apply to the other modes? that would certainly be good news.
Oh yeah, campaign mode is a dud, that really is your problem. Just finish up the campaign lickety split, and head on over to explore, the multiplayer really does make it great to compete against your friends. When you're out of the campaign you can choose your own characters, put on any sort of armor, and there are many more tracks than it shows you in campaign mode. Some mountains that have only one track in world tour have three other tracks in explore, and each of those tracks have both tricky and race events (sometimes survival events to).

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
GrandmaFunk said:
lol no, that's a bit of retcon they did to go with the new story, which I believe is intended as a prequel to the original games.
Nope, sequel. Despite the reboot-ish name, the game's undergone a huge time skip, which explains the relative lack of personality; the characters are basically all grown up (ex: Kaori is 28 now). The characters even treat each other with a good bit of familiarity in Campaign Mode.

SSX originally meant Snowboard Super Cross. Steve Rechtschaffner, the lead designer and exec producer of the original games actually invented the real sport of Boardercross/Snowboard Cross back in 91. The games were him taking his concept to over-the-top crazyness :)

I never knew about that tidbit of info. Interesting stuff.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
despite the characters having been aged up, the context of the competition in the new game seems to predate the SSX circuit of the originals. Watching the intro gave me a "this is how it all started" vibe.

the competition definitely seems to be in it's infancy in the new game...whereas in the originals it's much more developed with custom tracks, spectators, sponsors, media coverage; and the technology is more advanced allowing for the crazyness of tracks like tokyo metroplex and hawaii.

maybe it's bit of both, story never really mattered that much.

---

speaking of kaori being older, I thought that was a neat idea when I saw the first previews...but now having played it, don't all the female character models look pretty much exactly the same? they really don't seem that distinctive besides hair colour.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I don't play with Elise much (I usually favor Alex), but I hope she still says "Take myyyyyy picture!" and "You watchin'? You learnin'?"

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Pipotchi said:
I always prefered Tricky out of the whole series, something about busting out the stunts with RUN DMC pounding just felt right
Yeah but its a remixed version right? I own the game and it doesnt sound quite right. Or maybe I just suck so I cannot maintain Tricky Status for long enough to listen to it in full :)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pipotchi said:
Susan Arendt said:
Pipotchi said:
Yeah but its a remixed version right? I own the game and it doesnt sound quite right. Or maybe I just suck so I cannot maintain Tricky Status for long enough to listen to it in full :)
Yes, it's the Pretty Lights dubstep remix. I personally love it, but your mileage may vary.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
GrandmaFunk said:
speaking of kaori being older, I thought that was a neat idea when I saw the first previews...but now having played it, don't all the female character models look pretty much exactly the same? they really don't seem that distinctive besides hair colour.
Well as far as facial structure, nah a problem like than never came up for me. If you mean attire, yeah they are a bit samey, since the designers opted to have them dress like snowboarders this time around (I just can't decide how I feel about that, BTW).

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
The deadly descents in the World Tour made me instantly pleased with my purchase, and I'm hoping there will be DLC offering further options, as well as classic skins and novelty boards.

It is addictive chasing the golds in Explore, and some tracks are downright evil in their requirements (I personally hate having a trick contest in Thin Air) whilst others you can saunter through no problem.

Whereas I had found memories of SSX Tricky and SSX 3, I played SSX 3 just yesterday and it is atrocious in comparison to SSX 2012. From the handling to track design (I.e. Off Limits) to gameplay mechanics (hit square to recover, end your slow rotations to suddenly do a mega rotation); the older games are best left in memory.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
ace_of_something said:
The real question is... what does SSX stand for?
Snowboard Supercross X-treme

never played the first one?

Anyway, this wasn't a review, it's a commercial