Star Citizen Dev: Consoles Will Lose Advantage to PCs

aelreth

Dec 26, 2012
Perhaps PC Gamers that know how to build their own machines should share this art with their friends. Teaching their friends to build their own machines from the core components is a very liberating experience for their friends. Besides it would be very smart for them to merely observe their friend while they are putting it together, this will build their confidence. The transformation from a user to a admin is a very big deal and should be encouraged for everyone.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
The art of building a PC summed up.
"Does that wire/card fit in that socket? If so that's where it's meant to go."

It's not exactly rocket science, I've had harder times assembling Warhammer vehicles.

As for cost, ok so the PC is initially a greater outlay than a console, but with that said, even buying retail and not digital games, you're saving between £10 - £20 on a new release, so after 10 games, the PC has paid for itself there.

"But all that faffing about installing stuff."
You put the disk in and click "Next" a few times, no more painstaking then say a firmware update, only this one lets me play other games whilst I'm installing this one.

The myth that PC's are difficult to build and maintain is just that, so long as you're reasonably smart.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm getting a bit sick of this. How about we see what happens when the next generation is out? There are reasons I play on a console, but so many people see it as a gaming dead end. Maybe it is. I will wait and see. It's not happened yet, and that's all I need to worry about.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
MeChaNiZ3D said:
I'm getting a bit sick of this. How about we see what happens when the next generation is out? There are reasons I play on a console, but so many people see it as a gaming dead end. Maybe it is. I will wait and see. It's not happened yet, and that's all I need to worry about.
Because trend analytics and postulation are fun.

I'm serious, there is a lot of enjoyment from searching out leaked patents and various tech specs about new consoles allowing us to make a genuine speculative guess on features when combined with current gaming trends. :D

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
weirdguy said:
building a pc has always just been "stick things into things" and "hope there aren't any hidden conflicts"

the rest is just planning
The chances of running into an IRQ conflict these days is pretty slim to say the least. Its mostly plug and play now.

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
blackrave said:
*buy a bear to a friend who is good with comps
Because bears are always a valid payment method.

OT:

Isn't it pretty much obvious that PC is the Master Platform? The only reason for console popularity is easier marketing.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
6urk17s said:
blackrave said:
*buy a bear to a friend who is good with comps
Because bears are always a valid payment method.

OT:

Isn't it pretty much obvious that PC is the Master Platform? The only reason for console popularity is easier marketing.
:D :D :D
Oh man, I feel so stupid right now :)

Of course I meant beer :) or sixpack ;)

Rellik San said:
"Does that wire/card fit in that socket? If so that's where it's meant to go."

It's not exactly rocket science, I've had harder times assembling Warhammer vehicles.
While PC building isn't rocket science, it isn't that simple as well
picking compatible motherboard-CPU combo
then deciding what size and speed RAM you need and is it supported by motherboard
then same dance with GPU
Then there is CPU and case cooling question (and picking the case if you have none)
not to mention calculating necessary power feed
(I also at this point have "large SATA2+ small SSD vs. medium SATA3" question)
There is a lot of inet digging involved in planning

Rellik San said:
As for cost, ok so the PC is initially a greater outlay than a console, but with that said, even buying retail and not digital games, you're saving between £10 - £20 on a new release, so after 10 games, the PC has paid for itself there.
Sadly it isn't the case anymore, now publishers for a most part are pricing games on all platforms equally
BUT
There are plenty of great games on PC
Some are even free (like "Dwarf Fortress" for example)
Not to mention mods for games (my FO3, FO:NV, TES5 and Minecraft are heavily modded, now I'm thinking of mixing things up in XCom:EU)

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
aelreth said:
The transformation from a user to a admin is a very big deal and should be encouraged for everyone.
This has to be the best reason for moving from a console to a PC. Others have already shown how it's mere laziness that's stopping people from playing on PCs, so I'm not going to touch on that one, as much as I want to.

Though there's something I'd like to add: why are the console users saying "find me a PC that can run [insert triple-A title here]"? Do they not know of non-triple-A games, at all? I use a 2009 laptop to game, and I can run FTL, The Walking Dead, and Serious Sam 2, to name a few great games I've recently played. You don't have to play the big, modern titles to have fun on a PC. To show how far back you can go with a PC, a month ago, I was playing Quake 2. And because I had excess power from my laptop, I could just ramp up the Anti-Aliasing to 8x. Pretty ace.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FelixG said:
Wait, when did consoles EVER have the 'Power' advantage over PC? They had Price and thats about it..
I think that in the 80's and early 90's many PC's didn't even have a sound card or color graphics.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
GunsmithKitten said:
Remaiki said:
Others have already shown how it's mere laziness that's stopping people from playing on PCs, so I'm not going to touch on that one, as much as I want to.
So I'm a lazy person because I don't want to learn tech to play with video games?

Yea, how many hours a week do you work, how many other activities do you engage in, ect? I want to find out, as you seem fit to call me "lazy" on the basis of what toys I play with, let's put YOU AND YOUR FUCKING LIFE under the microscope since you judged mine.....
I don't want to devolve this conversation into insults, but for your information, my first thought was: "aww, look how cute he is, thinking you need to 'learn tech' to play on PCs." May I direct you to something else I wrote?
Remaiki said:
I use a 2009 laptop to game
Look at that. I use a laptop to game. Something I certainly did NOT need to 'learn tech' for. You can buy a loaf of bread, right? Well, you can buy a laptop.

Oh, and you asked me about 'how many hours a week I work?'. I'm actually still in education. As in, secondary school. It's entertaining how you, evidently an adult, seem to think you need to 'learn tech' to play on a PC.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
GunsmithKitten said:
Remaiki said:
Look at that. I use a laptop to game. Something I certainly did NOT need to 'learn tech' for. You can buy a loaf of bread, right? Well, you can buy a laptop.
Cost?
I believe it was £400. A worthwhile investement, seeing as it offers up a wealth of non-triple-A games, the ability to use it like a console if I wanted (I personally still use mouse and keyboard) and Steam giving me quite a lot of games for not-quite-a-lot of money.
Oh, and you asked me about 'how many hours a week I work?'. I'm actually still in education. As in, secondary school.
Then as someone who fucking works for a living 40+ hours a week, you'll excuse me if I'll dismiss your claim that I'm "lazy" on the basis of what medium I play with toys on.
Yay! Elitism based on whether one works or not! Y'all see, if I was older and not working, I'd be inclined to direct you back to your Daily Mail. Scroungers, and all that.

So no, I won't excuse you if you dismiss my claim that you're lazy.

Oh, and another thing: you seem to be insinuating that the 'medium [you] play with toys on' is somehow easier to set up than a PC(evidenced by you getting angry over the 'education' comment), despite the fact I was explaining that this is simply not the case.