Star Citizen Hits $24 Million With Hot New Trailer

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Star Citizen Hits $24 Million With Hot New Trailer

Powered by a sexy new "advertisement" for the Anvil Aerospace Hornet, Star Citizen has achieved a record-setting $24 million in crowdfunding.

There have been a lot of crowdfunding success stories over the past couple of years, but the big daddy of them all is one that's rung up most of its money outside the familiar confines of Kickstarter: Star Citizen, the space sim epic being developed by Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts' indie startup Roberts Space Industries.

Roberts announced today that Star Citizen is now up to $24 million in funding, driven to that mark by the advertisement and brochure for the Anvil Aerospace F7C Hornet [https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13329-Introducing-The-Anvil-Hornet-Lineup], the civilian version of the UEE F7A Hornet fighter. The trailer is done in the style of a conventional automobile commercial, which is a fun touch, but what makes it really remarkable is that it was rendered by the game engine in real-time at 4K resolution.

"We scale everything for the super high resolutions that will be the basis of tomorrow's gaming experience; our assets are designed with high polycounts instead of having details baked into their textures," the studio wrote. "The next generation of CPUs and GPUs will make this kind of experience possible in gameplay, and we are building Star Citizen to be ready."

With $24 million achieved, Roberts said the Star Citizen public transportation system will be expanded to include "star liners, long range transports, charter ships and flyable shuttles." He also announced a $26 million stretch goal, an "enhanced capital ship system," which will "expand the functionality" of large ships in the game. The way things are going, it'll probably make it with ease.

Source: Roberts Space Industries [https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13334-Letter-From-The-Chairman-24-Million]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Wow, way to rub it in Anvil Aerospace, blowing up your competitors ships.

I would have thought you would have gone after Drake Interplanetary because of that little thing of making really good pirate vessels, rather than 'Old-Style Ships R Us' RSI and 'more money than sense' Origin Jumpworks.

Also: SQUEEEEEEEE!!!

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
That looked amazing, thought sadly, it tells me nothing about the game it self.

I've heard the name Star Citizen drop a few times, but honestly, I have no idea what to expect gameplay wise.
Maybe I should spend some time finding out. It certainly looks great.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Ranorak said:
That looked amazing, thought sadly, it tells me nothing about the game it self.

I've heard the name Star Citizen drop a few times, but honestly, I have no idea what to expect gameplay wise.
Maybe I should spend some time finding out. It certainly looks great.
From what I've learned from the main website it sounds like it's EVE Online (world) + Ace Combat (flight and combat). Still it's in early development so I don't really know how it'll end up exactly.

OT: I really don't know what to say about the article. The devs have gotten more money and released another nice CGI trailer; pretty sure that was inevitable and not surprising to anyone. Still, the CGI was nice (though that missile evading thing took a bit too long).

magter3001

Jun 7, 2010
kael013 said:
Ranorak said:
Still, the CGI was nice (though that missile evading thing took a bit too long).
It's still in pre-pre Alpha. They're going to be releasing a dogfighting module sometime soon to help test combat out, so you know they're trying to actually balance this game up.

Ronin Toshiro

May 25, 2012
kael013 said:
From what I've learned from the main website it sounds like it's EVE Online (world) + Ace Combat (flight and combat). Still it's in early development so I don't really know how it'll end up exactly.

OT: I really don't know what to say about the article. The devs have gotten more money and released another nice CGI trailer; pretty sure that was inevitable and not surprising to anyone. Still, the CGI was nice (though that missile evading thing took a bit too long).
Just to point out every single trailer is NOT CGI, it was all scripted ingame footage..you know the actual stuff you will see on your screen when you play. Provided you computer can handle it.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
I backed this a while ago on Kickstarter and whilst I'm pleased about the amount of additional funding there has been an information overload and way too many rewards to contemplate fully without dedicating hours upon hours of your spare time.

It's a bit ridiculous now, I'd rather they cracked on with the game instead of chasing more cheddar.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
GoaThief said:
I backed this a while ago on Kickstarter and whilst I'm pleased about the amount of additional funding there has been an information overload and way too many rewards to contemplate fully without dedicating hours upon hours of your spare time.

It's a bit ridiculous now, I'd rather they cracked on with the game instead of chasing more cheddar.
They are cracking on with the game :p People keep throwing cheddar at them, so they can get more tech, hire more people ect. for the new features. They aren't chasing funding goals at the expense of making the game :)

Also, this seems like it could be an amazing way to fund new AAA developers. i didn't see a star citizen pledge as just star citizen, i saw it as a way to help establish another AA-AAA PC developer in an underserved genre.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I'm fairly optimistic about this game, but can't help feeling that cramming a game with unrequired features just to make the most of an unforeseen budget isn't going to make for a better game, just a more bloated one.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
For some reason, the line "Give me a Hornet and I will shake the gates of Heaven" really does get to me. I would give my right arm to be a writer on this project.

Are they getting carried away or is it that they feel they need to justify the money they are being given? Chicken or egg? Egg or chicken?

This is a game of unprecedented scope and scale, and I think thats something many people have yet to realise.

Give Chris Roberts the money he needs, and he will shake the gates of Gaming.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Hold up people, what's all the excitement about? Didn't you all listen when they said PC gaming was dead and that space sims are a niche market? Analysts dictate what games sell, not gamers and their wallets!

OT: I need this game like a I need crack. The trailers themselves, knowing they aren't CGI, give me this tingling up the back of my spine. It's not just that the graphics look pretty, it's that you can almost feel the immersion. I never pre-order anything and I don't do kick starters even for games I want, but I have already told them to shut up and take my money.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
Me55enger said:
This is a game of unprecedented scope and scale, and I think thats something many people have yet to realise.

Give Chris Roberts the money he needs, and he will shake the gates of Gaming.
Is it really unprecedented scale? X series of games, Eve, that procedurally generated universe one who's name escapes me at present, Elite and all the rest might indicate otherwise.

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to the game a great deal but beware the hype train to avoid disappointment.

Adept Mechanicus

Oct 14, 2012
Does anyone think they may be making too much money for their own good? I want this game to be great because Freelancer is one of my favorite games of all time and I've been looking for anything that can deliver the same experience. I'm just concerned they're making the scope of the game too wide because they feel they have to justify the amount of money they've made. I feel like if they keep making money at this rate, they'll never even finish the game.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Ronin Toshiro said:
kael013 said:
Just to point out every single trailer is NOT CGI, it was all scripted ingame footage..you know the actual stuff you will see on your screen when you play. Provided you computer can handle it.
Wait, that's in-game footage!? I thought it was CGI; that's impressive. (Note to self, upgrade PC to 2001 monolith)

OK, so I re-read the second paragraph (I skipped it first since it just talked about the trailer I had just watched), otherwise I would have seen where it says that's in-game footage. My bad (but thanks for pointing it out, patronizing tone notwithstanding.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Looking soooo gud right nao. One thing I will point out is that not everyone works on the same damn thing at the same damn time. For all the time they are working on their stretch goals they have other people already hard at work balancing, scripting, writing, recording, mission designing, and gameplay developing. These stretch goals merely allow more talent to be brought on board to assist an already sufficiently divided amongst tasks team.

Also, the combat module will be released this December so that we will have a whole year before the game's release to test gameplay balance for the team.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
You will not stop me from buying X Rebirth as...I am starting to doubt this game will ever come out.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
me not getting involved with this crowdfunding has less to do with faith in the project or dislike of the concept, but more that I don't think my human brain could take this much stimulation at once

they can slap that on their quotes page