Star Citizen Raises $55 Million, Making it The Most Crowdfunded Anything, Ever

JLF

Mar 2, 2010
Hope it ain't the biggest crow-funding flop ever. 55 million is no small amount.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Whatislove said:
I don't know if it's just me but I think Star Citizen looks only OK, while the similar No Man's Sky being developed by Hello Games looks infinitely better and it doesn't have 280 developers, and I'm quite sure it doesn't have a budget of over 55 million.
Are you serious? No Man's Sky doesn't even come close to SC in the graphics department. Giving things a color not usually associated with them doesn't mean your game looks good. I suppose it looks interesting with all the bright colors, but I can't honestly say I think it looks great. So... yeah, it's just you.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Floppertje said:
Whatislove said:
I don't know if it's just me but I think Star Citizen looks only OK, while the similar No Man's Sky being developed by Hello Games looks infinitely better and it doesn't have 280 developers, and I'm quite sure it doesn't have a budget of over 55 million.
Are you serious? No Man's Sky doesn't even come close to SC in the graphics department. Giving things a color not usually associated with them doesn't mean your game looks good. I suppose it looks interesting with all the bright colors, but I can't honestly say I think it looks great. So... yeah, it's just you.
I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about the games as a whole.

I know I used the word looks confusingly in the original post.

We have no idea if either game will actually deliver, but on paper, if I'm going to play a sci-fi space sim, I'd rather be playing in a literal infinite universe with planets the size of actual planets.

Star Citizen looks like much of the same we have come to expect from games (albeit of high quality), No Man's Sky looks to be trying new things.

Again, that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to shit on Star Citizen because I think it will be a decent game but I'm much more excited for No Man's Sky in the sci-fi space sim category.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Whatislove said:
Floppertje said:
I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about the games as a whole.

I know I used the word looks confusingly in the original post.

We have no idea if either game will actually deliver, but on paper, if I'm going to play a sci-fi space sim, I'd rather be playing in a literal infinite universe with planets the size of actual planets.

Star Citizen looks like much of the same we have come to expect from games (albeit of high quality), No Man's Sky looks to be trying new things.

Again, that's just my opinion, I'm not trying to shit on Star Citizen because I think it will be a decent game but I'm much more excited for No Man's Sky in the sci-fi space sim category.
well that is subjective opinion, can't argue with that (actually I guess I just kinda DID. who came up with that saying?).
Anyway, apart from the fact that Star Citizen is going to feature procedurally generated planets as well, 'What we're used to from space sims but better' is kindof what we got into this thing for to begin with.
Chris Roberts made many of the space sims we are used to and his aim with this project is to basically make a bigger, better-looking, broader, MMO-er version of the games he's already made. So Star Citizen looking like it does isn't just unsurprising, it's what they're actively trying to do. Nevertheless, they have some amazing artists so I'm sure they've got some surprises in store for us. But if it's something completely different you want, you're probably better off looking for it somewhere else. More power to you though.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:
It's probably irrelevant, but... is the game any good?
There is no game yet and won't be till 2016 at the earliest just a race that no one can get on and a hanger were people look at their $100 DLC ships.
You're forgeting the dogfight module. You can already fligh some ships and fight.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
josemlopes said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:
There is no game yet and won't be till 2016 at the earliest just a race that no one can get on and a hanger were people look at their $100 DLC ships.
So it isnt that the market for it is big but that the people in that market are desperate as fuck
I disagree. I want to play the game but I've not put a single dime to the game because I don't pay for the games that haven't been made. Alot of people do it that way. Its probably more accurate to say that there are alot of hardcore fans of space sims that are willing to put up 56million dollars for the game despite being no game. Mere enthusiasts, skeptics and people that will see it on Steam at a discount will buy it when its released. Wasteland 2 is doing fairly well after its release and it had only enough hardcore fans to raise like 2.5million.

Blarg Blargson

Dec 7, 2008
Whatislove said:
I don't know if it's just me but I think Star Citizen is going to be just OK, while the similar No Man's Sky being developed by Hello Games looks like it's going to be infinitely better and it doesn't have 280 developers, and I'm quite sure it doesn't have a budget of over 55 million.
You have a lot of faith in four guys with no budget who only have one major project in their history (and it's not a space sim), one of whom claims that procedural generation will provide all the content in their game.

Say what you will about Star Citizen - at least it's concrete. You can go and buy your way into the beta right now, and learn about what they're planning to do by watching the huge backlog of developer videos or reading the pages upon pages of fluff articles and dev blogs.

No Man's Sky has been all promises and dreams since it was announced in 2013 - I don't expect much to come of it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but at most I'm expecting a game that gets boring after 4-5 hours because when you're done flying around at random and getting into fights with other players there just isn't much to do in a world that consists only of random land-and-skyscapes.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
toms said:
Oh my...
People are going to be so disappointed when it finally comes out and turns out to be a video game.
People appear to think that this will be less a space sim and more a hyper realistic life-in-space sim, so yeah pretty disappointed.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
No need to cram it on a disc...so 50GB is a tight fit eh? So what size will the game be than? Sounds like he wants some 200GB behemoth.

MinionJoe said:
Just don't hold your breath on the title coming to next-gen consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136143-Star-Citizen-Too-Much-Game-for-Consoles-to-Handle], as it is apparently too big of a game for Sony and Microsoft's machines to handle.
Chris Roberts started changing his tune on Star Citizen's "no consoles" stance on Sept 15, 2014:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/roberts-there-s-potential-for-star-citizen-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/0138398
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-19265-Star-Citizen-Has--Potential--on-Xbox-One-and-PS4--Says-its-Creator.html
https://gotgame.com/2014/09/15/star-citizen-come-xbox-one-ps4/
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-14327-Star-Citizen-Has--Potential--on-PlayStation-4-and-Xbox-One--Says-its-Creator.html
http://airherald.com/star-citizen-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-not-ruled-out-2015-release-date-on-windows/10744/
Yeah I recall seeing that and going "ha knew it". The man is a pretty good (though he never came off as believable to me, he clearly works a lot of people) heel on the mic, but all the promo skills in the world won't stop a lot of people's delusions shattering when he sells out buys in.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
008Zulu said:
So they have been at it for a year or two now, they have no real release date and no real playable content. What state is this game in that they have thrown millions at it and nothing has shown up?
The game is currently projected to be "complete" by 2016. The project started around 2012 and they released their first module around mid 2013. Considering most games of this scale take 6+ years to develop and there's usually not a working beta released until about 6-8 months before launch, I'd say they're doing pretty well.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
HUZZAH

I'm pleased by this. I'mma celebrate by dropping another 300!
[sub][sub]I'm joking, I'm tapped out on Star Citizen.[/sub][/sub]

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
No need to cram it on a disc...so 50GB is a tight fit eh? So what size will the game be than? Sounds like he wants some 200GB behemoth.

MinionJoe said:
Just don't hold your breath on the title coming to next-gen consoles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136143-Star-Citizen-Too-Much-Game-for-Consoles-to-Handle], as it is apparently too big of a game for Sony and Microsoft's machines to handle.
Chris Roberts started changing his tune on Star Citizen's "no consoles" stance on Sept 15, 2014:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/roberts-there-s-potential-for-star-citizen-on-ps4-and-xbox-one/0138398
http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-19265-Star-Citizen-Has--Potential--on-Xbox-One-and-PS4--Says-its-Creator.html
https://gotgame.com/2014/09/15/star-citizen-come-xbox-one-ps4/
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-14327-Star-Citizen-Has--Potential--on-PlayStation-4-and-Xbox-One--Says-its-Creator.html
http://airherald.com/star-citizen-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-not-ruled-out-2015-release-date-on-windows/10744/
Yeah I recall seeing that and going "ha knew it". The man is a pretty good (though he never came off as believable to me, he clearly works a lot of people) heel on the mic, but all the promo skills in the world won't stop a lot of people's delusions shattering when he sells out buys in.
Way to take words out of context. Yes, he did say that the ps4 and xbox one are basically mid-level pc's so there is some potential, but he also said that this would require microsoft and sony to be more flexible, which it really doesn't seem like they're going to be, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I hope this does well, but I would never back it. I don't put money into things before they're released. Sure, I never get any cool bonuses with my games, but I've also never been burned by a pre-order or an early access game.

The only exception I've made to this was with Space Engineers and that was because there was a lot of gameplay footage of it already and I knew that I could already justify the price of the game even at it's current state.

Maraskeen

May 14, 2014
GrimSerious said:
Keep nailing those tentacles on to that dog, some day it's gonna be an octopus(you just have to believe it and pay enough).
I laughed pretty hard. Thanks, GrimSerious.
I'm going to say "I'm glad for them". Chances are that it isn't/won't turn out to be nearly as revolutionary a game as it's been advertized, but seeing space sims on the market pleases me. Not sure if I'll ever get around to financing the kickstarter, though. Even if the game comes to its users bit by bit, 2016 is still a huge deadline, and the info on the game is still rather... nebulous at that point, no horrible pun intended. Perhaps some time in the future.

On another note, seeing these numbers makes me regret that there's no possibility for actual space programs to seek financial help via kickstarters.
(If the quick google search I made is to be believed, NASA is bound by law not to ask for any donations, which is all well and good, but regrettable for the future of man in space. Granted, crowfunded private initiatives still exist, but those don't have the same visibility.)

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:
Did people paid 100 dollars for their personal Spaceships?
Fair enough. I hear similar things for other games and it were more expensive than this one.
To create your enemy,Boss,Weapon etc I mean.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
As much hype and money is going into SC I can't ever seeing myself getting into it, I'm far more interested in No Mans Sky especially since it's 4 people and none of them talked down to other platforms let alone shunning them completely and their user bases so I'm more likely to go for NMS and respect those devs.

drakonz

Mar 1, 2014
considering that india managed to get to mars with 74 million i would say there is good chances that this project suceeds, as long as the people who are deciding over where money is used do their job propertly.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RA92 said:
The Dogfight Module Alpha is a lot of fun to play with, but that's all there is so far.

Compared to the deathly silence followed by other Kickstaters the steady stream of small updates for Star Citizen is quite promising. Constant (if slow) progress is looking good, I just hope they have better control of the budget than other KS projects have done, 280 people is a lot of money spent very quickly.