Star Citizen Raises $55 Million, Making it The Most Crowdfunded Anything, Ever

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
SweetShark said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:
It's probably irrelevant, but... is the game any good?
There is no game yet and won't be till 2016 at the earliest just a race that no one can get on and a hanger were people look at their $100 DLC ships.
Did people paid 100 dollars for their personal Spaceships?
Fair enough. I hear similar things for other games and it were more expensive than this one.
To create your enemy,Boss,Weapon etc I mean.

You can buy even $10.000 (REAL MONEY) on space ships DLC and only some pre-order versions come with hull-insurance.
That means if in the real game your ship gets destroyed in-game and you don't have or pay extra REAL money for insurance your pretty DLC is gone forever.

As long as such 'feature' exists Space Citizen can go fuck itself.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Aegis-Reclaimer-LTI

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
It sounds interesting.

If and when it actually comes out and is actually good, I'll gladly plonk money down for a copy.

But right now I'm tired of spending money on things only to have the release date slip again and again. If and when Kentucky Route Zero, the Dream Machine and Broken Age(Damnit, hurray up Double Fine) actually finish up, I'll be more likely to invest in something like Star Citizen.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
BloodRed Pixel said:
SweetShark said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:
There is no game yet and won't be till 2016 at the earliest just a race that no one can get on and a hanger were people look at their $100 DLC ships.
Fair enough. I hear similar things for other games and it were more expensive than this one.

You can buy even $10.000 (REAL MONEY) on space ships DLC and only some pre-order versions come with hull-insurance.
That means if in the real game your ship gets destroyed in-game and you don't have or pay extra REAL money for insurance your pretty DLC is gone forever.

Oh this is GOLD if this is true. In the bad way I mean.
It is like the game WarZ: You buy a weapon and if you die when you using it you must buy it again!!!
But again to be fair, the customers buy their own personal Spaceship. Now, the question I have:
How much unique are from the other Spaceships? Because the developers can VERY easily give a same ship and change only some parts. Different colors, banners,etc don't count so much. I am talking about the Structure of the Spaceships.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
SweetShark said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
SweetShark said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:

It is like the game WarZ: You buy a weapon and if you die when you using it you must buy it again!!!
But again to be fair, the customers buy their own personal Spaceship. Now, the question I have:
How much unique are from the other Spaceships? Because the developers can VERY easily give a same ship and change only some parts. Different colors, banners,etc don't count so much. I am talking about the Structure of the Spaceships.
Well, it _would_ be bad if it was true, but of course it isn't. At best BloodRed Pixel's claim is born out of ignorance. At worst it's blatant willful misrepresentation of the facts.

LTI, or Lifetime Insurance, was a minor perk given early pledgers of the crowdfunding campaign. It was removed eventually and only returns for a limited time on new, not previously offered ships. So far Pixel is more or less correct. And that's pretty much as far as he manages to get too.

Ships which do not have LTI come with a limited time insurance which needs to be renewed just like real life insurance does to avoid losing a ship if it is destroyed. However, that insurance will be bought in game with in game money. The kind of money you earn doing missions and generally flying around the universe. NOT, and I repeat this because if I don't then people will ignore it, NOTNOTNOTNOT Real Money. Furthermore basic hull insurance (which is all you get with Lifetime Insurance) will be a very minor cost in the game. The sort of thing you would be able to easily afford out of spare (fake space money) change unless you're _REALLY_ bad at the game and never make a profit at all. This insurance only covers the basic hull and equipment of a ship, not any upgrades (better guns, sensors, etc) or cargo. For that you have to get additional insurance, even if you have LTI.

Again, ANY insurance you have to buy is bought with in game money, not RL money. There is no "Pay Us Cash or Lose Your Ship" extortion scheme going here, the way some people are implying.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
SteinarB said:
SweetShark said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
SweetShark said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
RA92 said:

Well, it _would_ be bad if it was true, but of course it isn't. At best BloodRed Pixel's claim is born out of ignorance. At worst it's blatant willful misrepresentation of the facts.

LTI, or Lifetime Insurance, was a minor perk given early pledgers of the crowdfunding campaign. It was removed eventually and only returns for a limited time on new, not previously offered ships. So far Pixel is more or less correct. And that's pretty much as far as he manages to get too.

Ships which do not have LTI come with a limited time insurance which needs to be renewed just like real life insurance does to avoid losing a ship if it is destroyed. However, that insurance will be bought in game with in game money. The kind of money you earn doing missions and generally flying around the universe. NOT, and I repeat this because if I don't then people will ignore it, NOTNOTNOTNOT Real Money. Furthermore basic hull insurance (which is all you get with Lifetime Insurance) will be a very minor cost in the game. The sort of thing you would be able to easily afford out of spare (fake space money) change unless you're _REALLY_ bad at the game and never make a profit at all. This insurance only covers the basic hull and equipment of a ship, not any upgrades (better guns, sensors, etc) or cargo. For that you have to get additional insurance, even if you have LTI.

Again, ANY insurance you have to buy is bought with in game money, not RL money. There is no "Pay Us Cash or Lose Your Ship" extortion scheme going here, the way some people are implying.
And this is another problem with the insurance: Why?
A really bad reason I think is to keep people playing all the time and keep trying to get an insurance....
Which means if someone just want to play for fun, he/she must first look for an insurance and be succesfull with different missions.
As I said, I am very sure the developers want to keep the hardcore fans "at bay" all the time.

SteinarB

Jun 16, 2014
SweetShark said:
And this is another problem with the insurance: Why?
A really bad reason I think is to keep people playing all the time and keep trying to get an insurance....
Which means if someone just want to play for fun, he/she must first look for an insurance and be succesfull with different missions.
As I said, I am very sure the developers want to keep the hardcore fans "at bay" all the time.
No. Here's the thing. You need credit sinks in a game if you want a functioning economy which doesn't balloon completely out of control from the get-go, and PGI intends to have a functioning economy in Star Citizen up to and including the NPC factories which produce weapons, ships and so forth needing actual raw materials which need to actually be harvested (be it by PCs or NPCs) and actually transported to the actual place of production which. Production which then takes time in and of itself. Now, if the only thing players would have to spend money on was new ships, new and better weapons and do on prices would balloon in any game economy because the people who had been playing for long would be able to offer far more than those who were new to the game and hadn't ammassed a fortune yet.

Meh. I'm not explaining it well. There are probably a ton of better explanations of in-game economies out there. so I'll just say "no credit sinks is baaaad". And insurance is just that. One of many small credit sinks, like landing fees, hangar rental, taxes (yes, the governments of various planets will tax you for operating in their space) and so on.

So, you're probably thinking "this is bad! Obviouosly insurance if it is meant to be a credit sink will be expensive and only rich people can afford it". Not really. The question of "How many missions will it take to earn enough money to pay for insurance on your ship for X amount of time" was asked of the developers during one fan podcast where Ben Lesnick, who in addition to leading the community team at CIG is also one of the game designers. I believe the period mentioned was 6 months of insurance, but don't quote me on that. The answer was "Less than one mission" and that hull insurance would be an "incidental cost akin to landing fees in Freelancer" which were like 50 credits in a universe where even the puniest, most common gun cost thousands of credits.

In other words, if you just play the game it will be almost impossible for you to not earn enough to afford insurance, even if you're not a very good player. There's no big, giant single credit sink which will hit everyone for half their earnings and leave you with pennies. There will, instead, be many sinks and they will add up to help keep the economy healthy, but if you don't own much and don't play much then your costs will really only amount to a bare minimum which you'll hardly notice. The ones who might notice the costs are those who own a ton of ships and have to pay insurance, hangar rental etc, etc, etc, etc on all of them, and these people will have the resources and credits to afford that anyway.

Sorry for the wall of text. TL;DR - Don't worry about insurance. It won't be an issue.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
SteinarB said:
If this is true, I am ok with it.
I thought for a moment it will become a grinder for the players to play all the time the game.
If you can play only once or two and you can then get a insurance, I hope for the best with this game. :)
Thank you for the info.