Star Citizen's First Person Shooter Module Revealed at PAX Aus

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
One thing though; zero-G combat? Hell yes.

The shooter mostly looks rather standard, nothing special except for how it all ties in with the persistent universe. But when they started showing zero-G combat I raised my eyebrows. That could be real awesome if they add in proper maneuvers you can do next to simply floating around.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
The pessimism in this here comments section is so potent, I intend to develop the technology to refine it, store it and spray it upon entire societies I deem not worthy, so that they may writhe in their own mental-misery-masturbation before finding new, creative and efficient ways of removing themselves from the gene pool.

I suspect that the cause of this pessimism is in fact the inherent traits of this consumer culture. In that by CIG trusting us with both an unprecedented look into a video game's development and access to pre-alpha content to play, they aforementioned culture is not capable of understanding that it is indeed a work in progress.

In terms of the maturity question, the games caters for a demographic higher than the traditional age bracket, as the people attracted to this genre were those who were originally brought up on Chris Roberts earlier space games. Of course this does not account for everyone, but if the wives of players are both willing to sign up for the ride and publicly announce it on the RSI forums, it imp[lies a whole different level; one that transcends the usual pig-ignorance that is associated with this narrow minded culture.

But hey, you can tell I'm a fan, so why not just mentally disregard my post as blind, blinkered defense of my apparent replacement for my sex life and as such castrate any threat to your insulted opinion. The irony will remain all mine, however.

EDIT: FPS release looked amazing. Looking forward to it in the new year.

K3nzz0

Jul 8, 2013
Cowabungaa said:
One thing though; zero-G combat? Hell yes.

The shooter mostly looks rather standard, nothing special except for how it all ties in with the persistent universe. But when they started showing zero-G combat I raised my eyebrows. That could be real awesome if they add in proper maneuvers you can do next to simply floating around.
Zero-G combat bit was awesome though maybe not shown to its full potential, they plan to implement a 'push and pull' mechanic for Zero-G environments.
The FPS team did do a QnA session. Linky => http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2k7kuu/we_are_the_star_citizen_fps_team_ask_us_anything/

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I had to mute the video because their military speak was so annoying. Why do devs feel the need to do that?

Anyway, this really didn't look all that special. The zero gravity stuff looked cool, but the rest seemed kind of bland. Honestly, it seemed like they were using the military speak to try and make the combat seem more tactical than it really was.

Still, it's in the early stages so it'll probably get better but as of right now, it looks way too generic.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
whiskey tango foxtrot

this looks quite rough (alpha as fuck afterall) but the concept of zero-g firefights definitively catches my interest

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Me55enger said:
The pessimism in this here comments section is so potent, I intend to develop the technology to refine it, store it and spray it upon entire societies I deem not worthy, so that they may writhe in their own mental-misery-masturbation before finding new, creative and efficient ways of removing themselves from the gene pool.

I suspect that the cause of this pessimism is in fact the inherent traits of this consumer culture. In that by CIG trusting us with both an unprecedented look into a video game's development and access to pre-alpha content to play, they aforementioned culture is not capable of understanding that it is indeed a work in progress.

In terms of the maturity question, the games caters for a demographic higher than the traditional age bracket, as the people attracted to this genre were those who were originally brought up on Chris Roberts earlier space games. Of course this does not account for everyone, but if the wives of players are both willing to sign up for the ride and publicly announce it on the RSI forums, it imp[lies a whole different level; one that transcends the usual pig-ignorance that is associated with this narrow minded culture.
What the hell are you on about? I have to question your opinion of the game when someone gives some pseudo-psycho babble like this.

There's a great deal of irony of being misanthropic towards those who are cynical. The negativity for this is the result of what they've produced so far, people tend to judge the evidence given to them so far as opposed to make irrational ideas of what may or may not be. Today, the whole "work-in-progress" argument is a excuse that barely stands by itself these days because it's been abused and exploited.

If your greatest feature is "zero gravity" when the game is supposed to be a reminisce of an open world game then something is wrong somewhere down the line. It's like trying to get ARMA to cater towards COD fans, they are similar by theme but by nature completely two different animals.

According to their current release schedule, CIG has 1 1/2 years to get this massive and expansive space sim out of the door. When comparing to other large games that's been made, there isn't much time left.

Personally, I haven't even given them a single penny yet I stand firmly by my opinion. I first abandoned all hope when it was announced they would cater towards single and MMO players. In my mind, using my knowledge of game design, it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I keep finding myself less and less interested in this game. It feels like everyone's getting hyped up over lofty promises with very few deliveries thus far.

It's just...I've never seen so much hype over a game with so little unified vision. It's individual "modules" are being developed by SIX different development studios. Even with a budget in excess of 50 million it's hard to keep everything entirely unified across that many different design teams.

I can't shake the feeling the final product will feel like a disjointed, hobbled-together mess. I hope it doesn't, if only for the fans' sakes, but still...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
FakDendor said:
It's interesting to see that all of those but Watch Dogs were MMOs. That can't all be server costs?what makes them so expensive?
When EA, Ubisoft and Activision are concerned, they can be spending up to half of a game's budget on the marketing, because priorities man!

MMOs seem to be a magnet for bad ideas (like Defiance TV series, how much did they burn making that hunk of garbage?) and they have long development times on account of all seeming to aim for World of Warcraft at launch, despite WoW having over a decade's worth of content in it now. It's easy to see how they turn into bottomless money pits.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Vigormortis said:
I can't shake the feeling the final product will feel like a disjointed, hobbled-together mess. I hope it doesn't, if only for the fans' sakes, but still...
To be honest, that's what I am expecting too, but even if that's what happens I won't be overly upset. I put a few pounds into this and if it fails, it fails, I'd rather play an ambitious failure than yet another four hour FPS, I've already had more fun with the Dogfight Module than I have with Battlefield 4's air combat.

I also annoys me that this hasn't been done before, like Halo: Reach and Halo 4 have a full spaceflight system built into them, that are used for 20 minutes in both games then never touched upon again, that really irked me.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
To be honest, that's what I am expecting too, but even if that's what happens I won't be overly upset. I put a few pounds into this and if it fails, it fails, I'd rather play an ambitious failure than yet another four hour FPS, I've already had more fun with the Dogfight Module than I have with Battlefield 4's air combat.

I also annoys me that this hasn't been done before, like Halo: Reach and Halo 4 have a full spaceflight system built into them, that are used for 20 minutes in both games then never touched upon again, that really irked me.
That's kind of what I wish people would do. Tone down their hype a bit so that, just in case the final product does end up not delivering the expected experience(s), there wont' be a massive...tsunami, if you will...of anger and backlash from the fans and community.

The industry needs far more large, ambitious projects like this. Having this one fail would be a hell of a shame, as well as a blow to the viability of any similar projects in the future.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Having this one fail would be a hell of a shame, as well as a blow to the viability of any similar projects in the future.
The question is, how can this fail? CIG have invested no money whatsoever into this project because of it being fund-crowed. The only way they can fail on a technicality is if they stop working on it and we both know that isn't going to happen with the amount of money they're raking in.

Unlike other CIG, other developers are reliant on publishers. And we both know the attempts so far for "ambitious projects".

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
mad825 said:
Vigormortis said:
Having this one fail would be a hell of a shame, as well as a blow to the viability of any similar projects in the future.
The question is, how can this fail? CIG have invested no money whatsoever into this project because of it being fund-crowed. The only way they can fail on a technicality is if they stop working on it and we both know that isn't going to happen with the amount of money they're raking in.

Unlike other CIG, other developers are reliant on publishers. And we both know the attempts so far for "ambitious projects".
I think he means it would be a shame if they failed quality wise, not sales wise. I'm sure they'll make a lot of money off of this, regardless of the final product's quality. I hope it's good, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed because I was too hyped.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Ajarat said:
I was just thinking something along the same lines.

I'm willing to bet that the people that expect SC to flop are the same people that drool over each release of CoD and Battlefield WHILE complaining that the current VG industry is "watered down." Here in development is a product that is beyond the scope of most titles, is being designed by a team with a near impeccable history, and it's being expected to flop before it even reaches an alpha-state? All these naysayers are clearly retarded to some degree.. I have a feeling people like Jadwick are going to flop as soon as the finished product releases.
We get that you're all very angry as you think your little internet darling got slighted in some way...but insulting people. Retarded? Yeah that isn't cool.

NuclearKangaroo said:
whiskey tango foxtrot

this looks quite rough (alpha as fuck afterall) but the concept of zero-g firefights definitively catches my interest
Sierra
Hotel
India
Echo
Lima
Delta

Thats how you do it.

Me55enger said:

But hey, you can tell I'm a fan, so why not just mentally disregard my post as blind, blinkered defense of my apparent replacement for my sex life and as such castrate any threat to your insulted opinion. The irony will remain all mine, however.

EDIT: FPS release looked amazing. Looking forward to it in the new year.
The irony is strong yes... wow. Just wow. Its a storyline dude, chill.
Laughing Man said:
WOW I mean just WOW, I am stunned I mean truly amazed they have spent a huge amount of cash and time on this game and the results are just amazing...

...amazing just how god damn boring the game looks. I mean really dull, I've seen a good number of lets play videos of this game, from the space combat, to the racing, to the none stop circle jerk videos of people wandering round hanger after hanger getting all moist over how stunning their stupidly overpriced ships look and now we have THIS, this 'FPS' and my god not one of the videos has shown anything even a little bit exciting. The only videos that look even a little bit exciting are the launch videos.
Got to go with this.

Their annoying military talk really helps sell the masking going on additionally.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Rozalia1 said:
Their annoying military talk really helps sell the masking going on additionally.
Exactly! Whenever people employ this kind of talk during a demo, it just means that they're trying to make their gameplay seem better and less generic than it actually is. I muted it because it was so damn annoying and what I saw was thoroughly underwhelming. Not bad, just average.

Ark of the Covetor

Jul 10, 2014
Someone up there said it's unfair to call critics of Star Citizen retarded; that's true enough, if it doesn't appeal it doesn't appeal, nothing wrong with not liking something. But people who're judging a pre-alpha tech demo by the standards of an actual release, and on that basis predicting that not just the final product in terms of the FPS, but the entire SC project will be a total failure? Yeah, how do I put it politely; that is the product of questionable logic.

Jadwick

Jan 4, 2013
Ajarat said:
I have a feeling people like Jadwick are going to flop as soon as the finished product releases.
Tsk tsk, I've been a backer since the project was at $6,000.

Edit:

Why am I being targeted here? All i did was offer some speculation - it was neither for nor against the game.

To clarify my position;

I wholeheartedly support this game and hope it does well, but it is the prize pony of crowd funding projects right now (largest crowd funded thing ever) and I don't think it is possible for something like this to live up to the hype that people are putting on it. (Like half-life 3.)

If it fumbles, even a little bit - you know there is going to be a shitstorm.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Does a space sim really *need* an FPS mode?
When you can actually walk around the larger ships and boarding is a thing? Yes.

OT: Looks neat. I'm actually a lot more hyped than those two words implies, but reasonable standards are a thing I've got to keep.

Corralis

Nov 12, 2009
I think this whole argument on these forums proves the CIG are doing this thing totally wrong. They shouldn't be showing anything about this game as people are clearly not able to judge the distinction between a finished product and a pre-alpha.

I think right now that the best thing they can do is stop showing anything to anyone until the game is finished. Don't get me wrong it'll be a bad thing for true fans of the game and for the people who understand that the game isn't actually a finished product yet but it should stifle the cries of the uninformed masses.

Now to the people that ask why this game needs to have an FPS module I will say this, imagine for a minute that your on a massive carrier flying through space, your a fighter pilot preparing for your next mission and as such your sitting in the CAG briefing room when all of a sudden the alarms start to sound. Your ship is being attacked by unknown forces, you get up and run to the hanger to get to your ship when a massive explosion occurs 50 metres from your position and bulk head doors slam down to prevent you from being sucked out into space. The call comes over the loudspeakers that the enemy have boarded your ship and you need to repel them, you need to fight your way through fire and smoke, rescue injured teammates and put out the damage that is being caused. Now imagine that you have fought your way through and cleared the ship of all the enemies that have boarded you, there's still a fight going on in space so you have to run to the hanger and get to your ship so you can help fight them off...

... Now realise that that isn't some COD cutscene but a real experience that you can face in this game and that your actions will be a factor in deciding if your carrier survives or not, no re-spawns, no do-overs, you will either live or die.

Basically what I am trying to say is that it adds a thing called immersion and realism to the game, no one is expecting that the FPS content will be as good as CoD but it will be in the game because it makes sense for it to be in the game. CIG are doing something here that no one has even attempted to do before, how can we judge them for that?

TheMightyMeekling

Sep 10, 2014
Golan Trevize said:
http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cloud-Imperium-Games-Reviews-E776546.htm

This is a little bit disturbing to be honest.
Is that source trustworthy?

If so then I will now exclaim a hearty "Jesus Chris!".

OT:

I do hope for the developers sake that they do have an overaching plan to tie everything together. This games doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, but I am praying that this doesn't end up a disappointment, because that may be capable of crushing every trace of trust in the crowdfunding system.