Star Fox Takes On David Bowie

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Star Fox Takes On David Bowie

This could be the best version of "Space Oddity" sung by anthropomorphic animals you'll hear all week.

"Space Oddity [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Oddity_(song)]," otherwise (incorrectly) known as "Major Tom," was one of musician David Bowie's biggest hits. Its timing couldn't have been more perfect: Its release came a year after 2001: A Space Odyssey (hence the name) and mere days before the Apollo 11 lunar landing, so space was on everyone's mind. It's the story of an astronaut named Major Tom, who goes into space and ... okay, the part after that has always been a bit weird.

To the right, you'll see the song, re-imagined by Underbelly [http://www.youtube.com/user/brentalfloss] to feature the cast of Star Fox. In it, Fox McCloud has to put up with the frustration of having crazy and useless wingmen, all the while battling the forces of Andross and living in the shadow of his dead father. So basically, it's just like the actual David Bowie song.

What surprises me is that it's actually a really well-done song, all humor aside. Yes, the voices are in character the entire time, but there's some crazy good three-part harmony later on that deserves a heaping helping of kudos.

I'm going to throw my vote in for Brentalfloss and Underbelly to do Labyrinth next time, as sung by the Super Mario Bros. Just imagine Bowser in David Bowie's super-tight Jareth pants!

Nevermind, don't imagine that.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
Yes, yes, a million times yes. Love it, spread the love, do a barrel roll while you're at it.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
STAR WOLF NEXT!

DO STAR WOLF NEXT!

Off topic: I hear they're changing the voice actors for the 3DS remake. That sucks.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
David Bowie + Star Fox= Lady Gaga

Thats right I said what every one thought reading the title of this post.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Well, it's based on David Bowie thus, by the laws of universe it already has awesome points, also nice background humour, good job on animation too.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Heeeeere is a very angry fox maaaaan.

This is going to be stuck in my head now. I might just have to go play Space Oddity on Rock Band or something to get this out of my system.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Well that was magical.

Interesting tangential fact:
The Man who did the engineer voice from TF2 did Wolfs voice in Star fox assault.
The man who did the Soldiers voice from TF2 did Wolfs voice in Star fox 64.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
BlueHighwind said:
STAR WOLF NEXT!

DO STAR WOLF NEXT!

Off topic: I hear they're changing the voice actors for the 3DS remake. That sucks.
They're probably going to make Star Wolf black-american again.

I think he was better British.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
martin said:
BlueHighwind said:
STAR WOLF NEXT!

DO STAR WOLF NEXT!

Star Wolf was never British, he was a dude doing a really hilariously fake British accent. AND IT WAS AWESOME! "Can't let you do that, Star Fox!"

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I've seen this a couple of times earlier today, but it's still fun to listen to. :)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Nice touch, having Uncle Scrooge floating in space at the end. Great call back, Floss!

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
BlueHighwind said:
martin said:
BlueHighwind said:
STAR WOLF NEXT!

DO STAR WOLF NEXT!

Star Wolf was never British, he was a dude doing a really hilariously fake British accent. AND IT WAS AWESOME! "Can't let you do that, Star Fox!"
"You're good! BUT I'M BETTER!"

Makes me exceptionally proud to be British.