Star Ruler Studio Really Hates GameStop

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
I'll never understand the hate for GameStop. I've never had a single problem with my local 4 stores. Just seems like some people got screwed by a bad employee, complained about it, and it turned into a wave of hate.

Oh well.
The main reason for it is because Gamestop has a monopoly. And a monopoly is terrible for consumers because it basically allows a company to screw over their customers without losing much.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
dekkarax said:
I'll never understand the hate for GameStop. I've never had a single problem with my local 4 stores. Just seems like some people got screwed by a bad employee, complained about it, and it turned into a wave of hate.

Oh well.
The main reason for it is because Gamestop has a monopoly. And a monopoly is terrible for consumers because it basically allows a company to screw over their customers without losing much.
GameStop? A monopoly? You're kidding, right?

They're only as rich as they are because people buy their crap, despite cheaper alternatives being available. Heck, if I got half the games I bought last year off Amazon instead, I'd be at least a hundred bucks richer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with their service, so I'm not sure how the flames are merited in any way.

It's a shame about how they treat indie and PC platforms though.

TheEggplant

Excess Ain't Rebellion
Jul 26, 2008
I am going to say I don't understand the backlash against the Gamestop hate.
I have never had a good experience at the handful of Gamestops in various locations.
Ordering online is joke compared to Amazon. They killed Software Etc. and Babbages. Two of my favorite game stores ever. Anecdotally, I have a better chance of getting quality used software from ebay then Gamestop. I say good for Blind Mind, and I will be buying their game when I have the funds.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We are ending sales through Impulse due to GameStop's long, negative behavior toward the PC platform and independent games," he continued.
Ackermann emphasized that the studio's relationship with Impulse has been "consistently good" and that it had every intention of continuing to use the service for future releases.
I must have misunderstood the article, or the quotes, so can someone please clarify for me the statement where they will continue to use Impulse for future releases? Why pull one game off Impulse if you're planning on using it anyway for future game releases? Or is "future releases" specifically in regards to patch releases which they discuss later in the article? It's not clear to me.

Anyway, I too am glad they're sticking to their principles and if I can scrape the money together, and their game interests me, then I will try to reward them with a purchase of their game.

Firgof

Jun 8, 2010
We would have been just fine with launching further games on Impulse; they were great to us. We however do not wish to partner with Gamestop, so we had to make the decision to end our contract. There are other legal reasons involved here but none of which I can publically divulge. We specifically stressed that Impulse was great because they deserve credit for their consistently good service and their staff are not at fault for our decision.

We're extremely unlikely to offer future games on Impulse unless we see truly great things; even then, it would require internal debate and a bit of investigation before we tentatively put our 'feet back in the water' so to speak.

Apr 28, 2008
dekkarax said:

Oh well.
And even if they don't screw over customers, they just stop innovating. Why make things better when you already basically control the space? Why improve when there's no one threatening you?

Its why I wish another Digital Distribution Servrice got big enough to compete with Steam. There are plenty of niggling issues it has that has not been fixed. Issues that would get fixed if it had another service to compete with.

I was hoping Impulse would get big enough to do it. But under Gamestop I just don't see it happening.

Nov 28, 2010
I'm impressed. Few companies ever actually give evidence for their supposed moral stances. Hell, few people do. Good on you, Blind Mind.

I can't say I know why they're so opposed, having never experienced GameStop for myself, and I don't know how much of the hate they get thrown at them is deserved, but it's still good to see someone sticking to their guns for once.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Firgof said:
We would have been just fine with launching further games on Impulse; they were great to us. We however do not wish to partner with Gamestop, so we had to make the decision to end our contract. There are other legal reasons involved here but none of which I can publically divulge. We specifically stressed that Impulse was great because they deserve credit for their consistently good service and their staff are not at fault for our decision.

We're extremely unlikely to offer future games on Impulse unless we see truly great things; even then, it would require internal debate and a bit of investigation before we tentatively put our 'feet back in the water' so to speak.
This clears up my understanding of the article. I misunderstood "had every intention" to mean "has every intention". I got confused on the tenses. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Firgof said:
We're on a number of distributors other than Impulse. (GamersGate, Steam, Desura, Iceburg Interactive)

Also as a pre-emptive: We had no choice but to act immediately. Legally, there was no other recourse if we didn't want to partner.
Since you're following this up, I just thought that I'd say that I applaud you standing by your principles. You've earned at least one sale through Steam today.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
gigastar said:
Ok, I know I can be irrational at times, but that is just plain childish.
Not at all. If you see something you don't like would you just lodge a token complaint that will be ignored? While letting them continue to profit from your stuff? Or would you do something more significant that actually hurts them (however slightly).

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Andrew Ackermann then folded his arms, pouted his lips, and made angry glares for the next few hours until someone agreed to buy him a Happy Meal.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
I first read about the purchase of Impulse on the Star Ruler forums. Was hoping so hard it was an april fools joke. It's cool to see this story here, though. It's good to know such a small, yet awesome, indie dev like Blind Mind is on the escapist's radar.

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Cant say I blame them, gamestop has basicly begun to ignore the pc. The one near me only has the latest realeases and warcraft on its shelves.

PapaGamer

May 25, 2010
Basing business decisions on petty likes and dislikes is not a long-term recipe for success.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
The Random One said:
They're hoping others will follow, and while I don't think anyone will I kind of wish they did.
This. It's like with today's gas prices. You can get a whole community to boycott Shell, but humanity as a whole will no longer stand up for itself. If gas companies wanted, they could raise the price to six dollars a gallon and no one would really raise a fuss.

It's the same here, sadly. Sure, Gamestop screws everyone but despite the few people that will actually stand up against them, the general population is just going to continue to file through their door.

In short, thank you for standing up to Gamestop and keeping your dignity, Star Ruler, even though it means you'll be completely alone.