immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Kahani said:
Hawki said:
But this? Even by the standards of these movies (which I can readily admit have a shift towards action,), this is going to another level entirely. We have:

a) Rock music

b) Motor cycles

c) Martial arts

d) Aliens invading Earth. Again.
Given that the first reboot kicked things off with rock music, vintage cars and people punching each other, I'm not sure why you'd think that's suddenly a problem now. And as Deathfish notes, Kirk getting in fights with virtually everyone he meets (and sleeping with most of the rest) was always a running theme of Trek.

As for the shift towards action people keep complaining about, that's nothing new either. One of the big complaints about every film since TNG started has been that there's basically no connection between the TV show and the films. Picard in particular is two entirely different characters that just happen to have the same name - in the TV show he's a highly competent diplomat who will always talk rather than fight and do everything to save even his enemies from harm, while in the films he's a psychotic thug who happily guns down his own people when he already knows how to save them, let alone anyone who actually opposes him. Whatever flaws the reboots might have, being more action-oriented than the TV series is not something that started with them.
Exactly. Star Trek is one of those franchises where public perception of what it is supposed to be like is massively divorced from what the franchise is ACTUALLY like. These reboot movies are basically The Original Series with modern technology and it shows, action, action, and more action. The Next Generation was the only Star Trek series that was anything like what the public thinks Star Trek is like and it was the odd man out in the franchise, as popular as it is TNG was pretty drastically different from every other Star Trek series by far. TNG was the only series where people standing around talking philosophy about everything and being really diplomatic over firing their phasers was a common occurrence, and even then all the most popular episodes and the most iconic moments in that show were the times the latter was happening rather than the former. As you mentioned, the movies were particularly filled with the latter AND PRAISED FOR IT. "Fans" that expect these reboot movies to be any different than they have been don't really know much of anything about the Star Trek franchise.

iseko said:
I was REALLY hoping to have the "pride" of starfleet not to get 1 shot for ONCE. Three movies in a row the most advanced starship, starfleets pride and joy, is getting its ass kicked instantly... again.
It's rare throughout the entire franchise that the "pride of Starfleet" does NOT get it's ass kicked instantly whenever there is a fight, that's how the "how the hell are the going to get out of this one" tension is created. The Enterprise is either outnumbered, outgunned, encounters some sort of flaw in it's technology, or has some super science thrown at it to bring it to the brink of destruction in nearly every episode in every series there is an actual attempt to do so. Movies often outright destroying it. In short, what you're complaining about has always been a common thing.

Dec 16, 2009
I'd have preferred they had expanded the universe rather than retell it. the new Kirk doesn't seem very Kirk like, but what do I know? I'm a TNG fan

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Hairless Mammoth said:
Was that a Star Trek trailer I just watched? If it didn't have a title, I'd think it was an adaptation some completely different (purely action focused) scifi franchise.

It seriously does feel like they are dumbing Star Trek down. But hey, China is Hollywood's hip new target demographic, and it's easier to just subtitle and sell a dumb action movie to non-English speaking audiences than to do the same with a slower, thought provoking story.
Laughing Man said:
I'd be more surprised if the Enterprise DIDN'T get destroyed in a movie.
The Enterprise will be destroyed in this movie, did no one tell you the 'reboot' has clearly decided that it wants to retell the original frnachise movies stories and plot lines but with a made for the lowest intelligence twist.

So the original franchise had The Wrath of Khan as it's second movie, the reboot had Khan appear as the bad guy in it. The third movie in the original franchise, The Search for Spock had the Enterprise destroyed around so safe to say that will happen in this movie as well.
So, does that mean the next movie will involve time travel and have Zachary Quinto swimming with whales? I'm starting to take bets right now.
Technically, that has to happen at somepoint - they rebooted the universe by time-travel so everything within the quadrant was affected by the Romulan ship and ripples from there - but he probe is outside of that influence so it has to rock up to Earth and demand whalesong along the same timeline as it did before. The only difference here is the movies are occurring earlier than than the original movies as Kirk hasn't grown up, done the tv series *cough* five year mission and now into movie territory.

So if they plonk it down in the fourth they've lost any credibility still stuck somewhere in the sole of their shoe that this jetwasher of a trailer didn't blast off the decaying corpse of the franchise..

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Jeroenr said:
Oh No, no time travel.
Remember how this mess started?

Time travel in Star trek has always been iffy, "First Contact" was a good movie, But "the voyage home" was just people in star trek uniforms walking around in the 1980's.

But i am surprised that they didn't have the Borg show up in this movie, i know its more a TNG thing, but i don't think they are bothered about that.

And talking about red coning things, should't Vigor still be on route to earth?
"Ret-conning" as in Retroactive Continuity.

And yes, though, as mentioned above with the Whale probe, not for some time yet.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, definately not feeling it. I liked 2009, gave Into Darkness a chance(and even Sherlock couldn't save that one) but this one I'm not gonna bother with unless the reviews are somehow good.

I really wanted to like Trek again after Voyager and Enterprise, and 2009 was a brief glimmer of hope there, but it turns out it was not to be. So sad.

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
Well, until they learn to make a good one I'll settle for Star Trek: Renegades, follow production of Star Trek: Anaxar, and hope they greenlight a new TV series ( I wonder what a Star Trek series on Netflix would be like)

tiamat5

Aug 6, 2008
The Enterprise has gone down in flames enough times for it not to even be big deal anymore.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
McMarbles said:
Well, the last one shamelessly ripped off WOK, I guess this time we're shamelessly stealing from TSFS.
The Enterprise will go down in flames, but in the third act it will be revived by magical starship blood.

Calling it now.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Jodokh said:
OT: the reboot franchise has been good action but poorly written science fiction, more going to science fantasy spectrum of things.
This was what I said when in a discussion with a friend of mine who is a big fan of the reboot movies.

I have genuinely enjoyed the two new movies, I just don't think they are good Star Trek movies. They seem to be lacking the spirit of the original universe.

A big problem for me is that they seem to be trying to ape the original set of movies rather than do something of their own.