Star Trek Game "Emotionally Hurt" J.J. Abrams

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
As to what that collaboration may result in, Abrams isn't about to say, beyond dropping brief Portal and Half Life movie [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/games/jj-abrams-portal-half-life-valve/#/0] hints.
Yeah, no. Bad fit.

Seriously, nope. Give it to Neill Blomkamp instead. At least he knows how to make a action movie AND inject some small amount of intelligence.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I do not think Valve would be the correct company to do that.

It's already got it's hands full producing content for two major games, atleast one game in development, and running steam. Valve also isn't your standard game developer, since they have an employee, "vote with your desk" system to determining what gets both the budget and the time.

Although, if they are using Valve to get connections and advice, I can see that.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
let's not bring MovieBob into this he's an outlier on the topic loll
whether or not people here agree, the general consensus would

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
Into Darkness was hurt because the story wasn't any good. With all the money spent on movies, you'd think they could get an author to write a coherent story that is not paint-by-number predictable from the word go.

Also, this makes him sound like a whiner. He'd do better to keep his mouth closed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Movie games fail because they are not made as legitimate games, rehash the plot of the movie, and are just cash outs. I think movies and games can work well together, but you have to make the games as real games...and its better they enhance the movie, by maybe being a prequal or sequal to the movie, or happening as the movie goes, but not showing the movie itself. Ofcourse if you have to rehash the plot, being a good fun game helps. Goldeneye was fun depsite being the movie's plot, that I now get excited when I watch Goldeneye and Bond gets in the tank, or fights Janus on what became the "cradle" level.

Also dont whine like a fool. I can understand a bad game upsetting you JJ, but I highly doubt it hurt the movie at all.

Movie Title: The Video Game = Auto fail.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Just let me have another Bridge Commander or Birth of the Federation please. That is all.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Mr.Pandah said:
I liked the movie. A lot. Sucks to be me I guess.
lol, your not alone. i enjoyed it as well. much more then the first one.
i think my father would enjoy it as well since he grew up with the original. he dint mind the first one either. the reboot i mean.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Mr.Pandah said:
I liked the movie. A lot. Sucks to be me I guess.
Same opinion here. I understand the complaints about the new Star Trek films being unfaithful from the source material, but as a non-Star Trek fan I thought they were incredibly fun to watch. I actually think that he would make a great fit with Star Wars, considering his approach in the films (except the alleged unfaithfulness to canon. I really hope he'd do the research when writing the script for Star Wars 7, lest he incurs the wrath of another fandom.)

95% of video game tie-ins to movies are always mediocre, so I think J.J. Abrams is taking it a bit too hard.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Is he asking Valve to make games off his movies, or make movies off Valve's games?
I mean, if he's okay with the game taking 5 years to come out after the movie, Valve is the company to go to.

Space commando 75

May 11, 2012
Hey at least the game had a good trailer even if it was Shatner fighting the Gorn. It was more than the movie had. Also stay the hell away from valve the last thing there games need is lens flares.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I would like to think that Valve realizes Abrams' star is falling. The dude's just a few years away from receiving Affleck/Damon levels of ridicule.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Well good, because his movie emotionally hurt me.
If, by "emotionally hurt" you mean "Pissed me right off!"

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I liked Into Darkness a whole lot. It was a great Star Wars movie. I can't wait til he actually makes a Star Wars movie.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
The problem I am seeing with this post is he thinks his "mystery box" is a perfectly fine approach to movie making and looking for other reasons to justify why his movie got negative feedback. I have no problem with people liking the movie, but before he starts pointing fingers maybe he should listen to what people were saying about the movie. After having a discussion with a friend over the weekend I came to the realization that I disliked Star Trek Into Darkness for the same reason why I disliked Man of Steel, both movies are movies where they are trying to show the audience what they want to see, but have a poor story behind it to explain what is going on.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
AldUK said:
Hey let's all insult JJ Abrams some more because Movie Bob told us he sucks!

That's what's cool on The Escapist right?

Not independent thought, oh no... Can't have that.
Or we're hating because Into Darkness was a fucking terrible film made by a presumptuous hack who doesn't know what he's doing as well as thinking he does. But no, if people agree, it's because they're too lazy to form a different opinion.

Three cheers for contrarian idiots, may we never live without them!

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Phrozenflame500 said:
A Star Trek game, made by Valve?

Intriguing...
I was thinking the same thing.

One thing to keep in mind, though: don't make it a shooter. Make it an exploration-focused RPG in both first and third person. And... put some god damned effort into the story (and don't let anyone else dictate it, VALVe). As well as this, put effort into the ship, it's components, how it flies around space, and how it works (as in X delivers energy to Y, wires damaged -> wires need to be repaired, not x% damage to ship hull, Y needs to be repaired).

As for a Portal movie... No, please no. Half-Life movie sounds intriguing too, just not directed by Abrams - though I might even like it, given my incredibly bad taste in movies.

EDIT: Forgot one thing for the VALVe Star Trek game: make the protagonist talk (and give us some options as to his gender, would you?). A mute protagonist will not work in this kind of game.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
I'm failing to see how a game based upon a movie impacted movie sales negatively. It was #1 at the Box Office for quite a while, was it not? Was it not hyped up for years? Didn't we all know the "big surprise"?

I bet half of the audience for Into Darkness had no idea there was a game and maybe only 20% had actually played it. Abrams, I think you have how the game industry works a tad backwards.

Also, stay away from Tomb Raider and Uncharted please. I don't want you even thinking about directing those. (Think about it: lens flares in TR? Yeah, no)