Star Trek Game "Emotionally Hurt" J.J. Abrams

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
I'm in this weird purgatory of Star Trek fans I swear. I love TOS, TNG and DS9. Watched them all the way through. Hell I watched the last episode of TNG, DS9 and Voyager as it broadcast.

And I really like the Abrams films as well. For different reasons, of course. But in my opinion ST: Insurrection and ST: Nemesis were much worse than Star Trek: the Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness.

I Redboxed the Star Trek game, and yeah it sucked. Not only in the mechanics but in the treatment of the Gorn. Making them an extra-dimensional threat rather than an unknown race bugged me. Though that be more my ST:O playing, talking.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
well the movie is popular and highly rated almost universally, so i dont see those poor sales hes talking about. Also did he really just pull out the "how dare you criticize my art" argument? wasnt that reserved for pretentiuos douches?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
AldUK said:
Hey let's all insult JJ Abrams some more because Movie Bob told us he sucks!

That's what's cool on The Escapist right?

Not independent thought, oh no... Can't have that.
No, that's not quite how it works. The first Star Trek rendition of his was a pretty low blow in my books, dumbed down beyond redemption already and over-the-top action scenes that turned the Star Trek franchise into some Bruckheimer one-size-fits all crash! BOOM! BANG! romp.

I for my part refused to give up on things and went to see Into Darkness, and it's just the lamest piece of trite shite anyone could dare to do with the material. Complete waste of Star Trek, complete waste of Cumberbatch, complete waste of any and all resources. It's the word of mouth from people that have seen the movie that kept other people from paying for that crap, and I can assure you that J. J. Abrams is or will become toxic if he doesn't slow down and think things over.

I don't agree with everything Mobiebob says, but his judgement on Into Darkness was pure Jesus Gandhi compared to how I feel about it.

I don't judge movies based on the quality of their licensed games, as those being any good is purely accidental these days.
I've never seen someone use so many words to badmouth a movie without actually mentioning what they disliked about it. It seems like you're just confirming AldUK's point that people criticizing the movie are just doing so blindly without putting any actual thought into it.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
I've never seen someone use so many words to badmouth a movie without actually mentioning what they disliked about it. It seems like you're just confirming headdrivehardscrew's point that people criticizing the movie are just doing so blindly without putting any actual thought into it.
͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͜͜e͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢
HAH! You just pulled an Abrams! A pompous little black box of surreal ͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͜͜e͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢nothingness, opening a gate to another dimension!

Is this time travel? Is this life after death? Is this contrived bullshit? Is this the real life? Is this just ͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͜͜e͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢fantasy?͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͜͜͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢ Am I waking? Am I dreaming? If I fall asleep ̴̴̙̺͖͇̮͖͖̥̝ͫ͒͋̅́ͅ in this world, am I waking in ̹̙̺͖͇̮͖̖̥̝ͫ͒͋̅́ͅ another?

CORRUPTION DETECTED. DEPLOYING SOME LAZY SHIT IN 3... 2... 1...

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Jadak said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
A Star Trek game, made by Valve?

Intriguing...
Something to look forward to in 2023?
This. Valve are great game developers, and I give them many kudos, but they're the LAST people you want to go to for a game tie-in. They work on their own schedule, and typically only on games they feel are close to their hearts (or zombie games, because easy cash-ins). Throw them a time-critical generic shooter/generic action game based on a set of kinda mediocre actors and a kinda mediocre plotline and... you aren't exactly going to get gold.

And it's definitely not going to happen on time.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
STENDEC1 said:
1. Start with the Mass Effect 3 engine as a base.

2. Build a game set in the Star Trek universe using the mechanics and storytelling style of ME3 (sans the shite ending).

3. ????

4. Profit!
How about just use the original Mass Effect, the best of the series. You know, the game that pretty much WAS a Star Trek game with a different paint job?

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Dr.Awkward said:
If JJ wants a good Star Trek game, he needs to know what kind of genres work with it.

For one, let's not use the shooter/FPS genre, shall we? Star Trek tends to focus on logic, and this genre tends to be anything but, and it's rather been done to death with all the games out there. In fact, Star Trek was rarely ever focused on action, and as a result JJ's films are trying to pander to an audience that, for the most part, doesn't care about the series. After all, "boring" moments are meant to calm down the audience because you can reach a point where there is simply too much action to take in. (And before everyone else mentions it, Voyager Elite Force was a fluke.)

I think JJ should really look towards a Telltale-made adventure game for Star Trek, and not towards a Valve shooter (or whatever). That's the sort of thing that fits the series.
Tell that to elite force 1 and 2 made with the quake engine. They were great games not mindless FPSs like you get these days.

You can have a smart FPS the trouble is anything over a simple action game is to difficult for them to make regardless of it being a FPS or not.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
OlasDAlmighty said:
͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͜͜e͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢
HAH! You just pulled an Abrams! A pompous little black box of surreal ͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͜͜e͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢nothingness, opening a gate to another dimension!

Is this time travel? Is this life after death? Is this contrived bullshit? Is this the real life? Is this just ͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͜͜e͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢fantasy?͎̙̮͔̺͈̰͈͆͑̏̊͛͑̓̾ͩͮ̽ͮ͐̿͆͂͊ͥͪ͜͜͏̶̩͓̥̞̟ͅs̓̃̾͛̏̈́͗҉̬̥̙̖̠͓̜͢ Am I waking? Am I dreaming? If I fall asleep ̴̴̙̺͖͇̮͖͖̥̝ͫ͒͋̅́ͅ in this world, am I waking in ̹̙̺͖͇̮͖̖̥̝ͫ͒͋̅́ͅ another?

CORRUPTION DETECTED. DEPLOYING SOME LAZY SHIT IN 3... 2... 1...

Star Wars has already been ruined for 3 decades, I don't think there's anything more Abrams can do to it.

Same was pretty much true for Trek before he picked it up, and the same is pretty much true for Half Life now. At least you can't accuse him of destroying something in it's prime.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
franticfarken said:
Those three directors are theoretically JUST as risky, in terms of the most recent works. Elysium and Iron Man 2 were just humorous in that "Bad movie" kind of way.

David Fincher would be interesting on the other hand......
But at least it's risky and not a foregone conclusion, if Abrams makes it you've seen the film before it's come out and there was nothing interesting anyway, just a lot of lens flare and a couple BWWOOOOOMMM noises.

While I'm at it, Brett Ratner, Guillermo Del Toro, bollocks to it, I would take Michael Bay over JJ Abrams, at the very least Bay isn't afraid to make characters die and the action would be suitably chaotic.

For the record I quite like Iron Man 2, I honestly missed whatever it is that irritates everyone so much about it.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
JJ Abrams is full of wank.
He takes IPs, remakes them into mediocre movies at best and then smug smiles to the camera while people throw money at him then he turns around and bad mouths a game (a GAME, not a movie a GAME) and acts like this watered down piece of shit is any worse than his watered down fan pandering sack of shit. Fuck JJ Abrams, he's a terrible director. He is the Michael Bay of Sci-fi but at least Michael Bay can make something half decent every once in a while.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
michael87cn said:
You know, there's actually never even been a good Star Trek game. You'd think that with like... 40+ years to do it, at least one good one would have come out.

Elite Force was not good. :p
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary
Star Trek: Judgement Rites
Star Trek: A Final Unity
Star Trek: Bridge Commander
Star Trek: First Contact
Star Trek: The Transinium Challenge

Play those and then come back to me claiming there's never been a good Star Trek Game. Actually, don't do that. Everyone knows you're wrong anyway.