Star Trek's Capt. Janeway "Misinformed" Participant in Geocentrist Film - Update

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
There are a lot of geocentrists whose ideas come from the Bible. You can find plenty of arguments for Biblical geocentrism online.
Yeah, but unlike Creationism, there is no part of the Bible that says "And then the sun went around the Earth" (unless we're going to look way too hard at the incident where the sun went in reverse).

OT: When I first read this, it was from the AVClub so I assumed I was reading The Onion.

Apparently not. ;____;
Actually, you might want to look at the way the Earth is set up in the Bible. The Sun and Moon are similar, two lights hung in the firmament, essentially a glass dome above the Earth. This is the short short version, but that's how it works according to the Bible. There's as much Biblical support for the notion of a geocentric universe as there is for God creating us from dust in His own image. And you don't even need to go messing around with "kinds" and such.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
lacktheknack said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
There are a lot of geocentrists whose ideas come from the Bible. You can find plenty of arguments for Biblical geocentrism online.
Yeah, but unlike Creationism, there is no part of the Bible that says "And then the sun went around the Earth" (unless we're going to look way too hard at the incident where the sun went in reverse).

OT: When I first read this, it was from the AVClub so I assumed I was reading The Onion.

Apparently not. ;____;
Actually, you might want to look at the way the Earth is set up in the Bible. The Sun and Moon are similar, two lights hung in the firmament, essentially a glass dome above the Earth. This is the short short version, but that's how it works according to the Bible. There's as much Biblical support for the notion of a geocentric universe as there is for God creating us from dust in His own image. And you don't even need to go messing around with "kinds" and such.
Touche.

More evidence that the creation story is metaphorical.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Fanghawk said:
Star Trek's Capt. Janeway "Misinformed" Participant in Geocentrist Film - Update

Sungenis is a geocentrism advocate and author of Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right who once found himself mired in controversy for denying evidence of the Holocaust.

My actual reaction as I read:

"Sungenis is a geocentrism advocate..." --- "That's cute."

"...and author of Galileo Was Wrong: The Church Was Right..." --- "But what is that guy smoking?!"

"... who once found himself mired in controversy for denying evidence of the Holocost." --- "THIS @$$#@^ $#$%@#$@ *@%%()^(# !!!"

Kudos, Fanghawk. More progressively damning a phrase, never was there written. It's pretty brutal.

I'm going to make some tea and read something. I feel ill being exposed to this much stupid (referring to Sungenis).

I feel bad for Mulgrew having been duped into it. After watching the trailer and hearing the small bit she was hired to read, it's pretty easy to understand how - in the absence of knowledge regarding anything beyond her lines as far as the documentary is concerned - she would find it perfectly innocuous and would readily lend her voice.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
1337mokro said:
Magmarock said:
Thanks for clearing that up. Why does everyone hate this documentary I saw the trailer it looked okay.
Because it's a documentary that straight up lies, quote mines and twists things around to make geocentricism even remotely plausible.

For that they draw in conspiracy theorists to spout nonsense, take legitimate research and with their tiny brains try to spin it for their followers with even smaller brains so that it sounds like actual scientists are saying that the earth is the centre of the universe and of course the fact that this is a documentary about bullshit.

If you want to know just how much geocentricism is bullshit watch this series of videos, it basically highlights every problem with geocentricism and explains exactly why it belongs on the pile of crap along with astrology, homeopathy, alchemy and holistics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRJZbNmC7U
Oh that's rich, but I at some level knew that there were people this stupid, but it's still quite funny encountering one, in the sense of laughing at creationists.

I mean, there really are some flat earthers as well, and people who believe the sky is a solid dome with water above, and other biblical nonsense.

Reminds me of this video, which itself is a homage to Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot.

JMac85

Nov 1, 2007
It's funny that people who believe in geocentrism, flat Earth, and hollow Earth are a ridiculed minority, yet there are a disturbing number of evolution deniers and people who believe the Earth is less than 10,000 years old that hold significant social and political influence.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
SilverStuddedSquirre said:
I LOLed SO hard in the first vid, when the Geocentrist Universe started rotating to "Firestarter" XD
The second video is even funnier. Especially around the 5:30 mark with the planets going in strange spiraling seesaw motions. Truly staggeringly silly. XD

I genuinely laughed out loud when I saw that diagram.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
A geocentrist film? Oh, I bet CoolHardLogic is going to have a field day with this...

1337mokro said:
If you want to know just how much geocentricism is bullshit watch this series of videos, it basically highlights every problem with geocentricism and explains exactly why it belongs on the pile of crap along with astrology, homeopathy, alchemy and holistics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyRJZbNmC7U
Kudos for linking the series I was talking about.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Jsbwalker said:
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://www.geekosystem.com/kate-mulgrew-not-geocentrist/
Ok, thats a relief.
Still wonder why she did it then, she must at least have read the script no matter who wrote it.
But then again money from stupit people is still money

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Touche.

More evidence that the creation story is metaphorical.
I would take it more as evidence that the creation story was an explanation by a bunch of bronze-aged nomads with a limited understanding of the world around them. So they attributed to God these things which fit their limited understanding: a fixed Earth, a solid sky with windows in it for the flood waters to pass through, and a moon that generated its own light rather than reflecting the Sun's.

I mean, it could also be metaphorical, but I think the larger point is that a modern use of Biblical creation means that God is only as knowledgeable about the universe as the ancient itinerant people in question.

Magmarock said:
1337mokro said:
WTF!!! okay now I understand I watched that video for a bit and now understand. People actually believe this. I thought this documentary was something scientific like how the earth was formed and the likelihood of other planets having life on them or something. Why would people believe this, why would people want to believe this.
Because a god number of people are scientifically illiterate and two ideas being presented are treated as on equal footing. People when people are confronted with two different ideas, one which requires only direct observation to appear to be true and one which requires research, they will choose the apparent one. Because, at least in America, we've been taught that "fair and balanced" means teaching both sides of an issue, even if the "other side" doesn't have any facts or evidence behind it.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Geocentrists, Flat Earthers, Kent Hovind believers, Illuminati seekers, hack paranormal investigators, sanguinarians with deluded perceptions of immortality or supernatural vigor, breathanarians, Holocaust deniers, Creationists, Interventionary Evolutionists and all-around misinformed Cod Astrophysicists armed with a Bible...

Is there anything reprehensible the Internet won't feed?

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
You know, if you choose the right coordinate frame, then the sun does indeed revolve around the Earth. Also, every point in space is the center of the universe. So they're not completely wrong.