Star Wars: Battlefront In Good Hands At DICE, Claims EA

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
DICE are masters at making good, addictive multiplayer so we can all be assured that this game will be great. Apart from the microtransactions, DRM etc. :)

Mar 30, 2010
I'll be cautiously optimistic.

The (few) good things I have to say about DICE's Battlefield 3 - such as the smooth integration of the vehicular combat and the overall 'grandness' of the maps - were all about it's multiplayer, so if they're building Battlefront along those lines it'll be pretty sweet.

On the other hand, the (many) bad things I had to say about Battlefield 3 such as the atrocious AI and the abundance of QTEs could very easily find themselves into a new Battlefront game too.

So like I say: cautiously optimistic.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Battlefront was already almost entirely a Star Wars themed Battlefield. Little odd to see people concerned to see that that will likely turn out to be the case for the next one.

Robetid

Feb 1, 2013
It's hard to get too excited about this when 1) Those monsters at EA have a part in this and 2) Even if this turns out to be complete shit Battlefront 2 is still as playable to me as it was the day it came out. If it's good then great, if not who gives a shit, load SWBF2.

Jul 13, 2010
A bit more bile on this thread than is necessary, isn't there? The way I see it, the only thing EA has actually done so far is announce a game that a fairly noticeable portion of gamers had been after for a few years. Isn't that good? Surely it's just as important to react well to publishers doing what we want as it is to react badly when they do things like always-online drm? I know it's not quite as black and white as that, but there would be no new Battlefront coming out had EA or some other similarly big published not picked up Star Wars and I certainly think our current situation is much better than no new game. Besides, aside for the obvious Star Warsy stuff like locations, space battles and the heros, Battlefront and Battlefield were actually pretty similar.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Ok ... you people actualy hope that EA will not add crap DRM, micro-bs and day one DLC and locked disk content? In a game that starts with STAR WARS? my god and i thought i was too optimistic when i thought to myself: at least they won't fuck up the land battles much.

On the dick moves EA will pull you can expect them to pull no stops on this one. Brand recognition dictates that this game will sell like crazy, and you can be sure EA will exploit that with all its traditional dick moves.

On DICE? I don't realy care for them, I just think they have the wrong mindset when it comes to making Battlefront. Oh and i pray they will actualy play the first 2 games ... but i doubt that would happen. See, the fact that DICE makes moder realistic shooters IS the MAIN reason they should not touch battlefront. Battlefront is a diferent animal, it owes more to action movie logic and over the top stunts and a really arcade action feel than to military realism. And DICE doesn't do that.

On the subject of the actual game ... well like I said: they won;t fuck up the land battles much. But let's be honest now: how can you expect a developer that made only realistic modern shooters to be able to capture the feel of an over the top laser action, jet-pack jumping, mech blasting shooter? battlefront 2 was fast, wacky and fun. It knew how to keep the factions balanced, while also making sure they were unique by virtue of their twin elite clases. Modern shooters are grey, slow, dull, "realistic" and the two teams are practicaly identical except they are shooting each other. So you can excpect a slower, more "serious" gameplay, probably without jetpacks or any other of the unique features battlefront had (man did i love the droidekas :D).

Speaking of unique stuff :D. You can expect a grand total of 2 playable factions! Boring Rebels and even more boring Storm Troopers! Say what you will about the prequels, the clones vs droids things was alot of fun and allowed for some unique game mechanics (droidekas, the auto rocket launcher of the magna guard, jetpack+grenade launcher, unique feel of the vehicles). But all those fun and unique stuff? Jetpacks, lightning guns, a droid that turn into a ball to move really fast and has an energy dme when it deploys? Give me their equivalent in a modern realistic shooter. There aren't any. And they did somethjing else: they made the game unbalanced, unpredictable. This just doesn't fly in todays moder shooter climate where oposing factions are identical in all but ... well the fact they are shooting each other. And speaking of making the game unbalanced: Force users. I don't think they'll add jedi by their own volition. EA will probably make DICE add them in order to be able to squeze money on unlocking them with real money and that means they will also be overpowered like shit to make those that buy them feel it was actualy worth getting them. Or they will be present as skins only. At most they will get a separate game mode where everyone is a Jedi or Sith, but then all the fun goes out the window real fast. But Luke leading the charge on imperial postions only to be met by Vader and have an epic duel while Rebels and Imperials try to aid their respective leader? I don't see them doing it.

Space battles! ... No. Not going to happen. I'm sorry but what kind of experience does DICE have in making air or space warfare games? is that a big fat NONE I hear? It is! Not that the space battles were anything grandious to begin with, and they probably would only need to play about 5 in battlefront 2 to realise why they were fun (again they have an over the top feel that modern shooters simply don;t have). But DICE only knows how to make modern military shooters. And in those anything flying is considered a convenient nuke. They don;t know how to make air combat, space combat even less. If they do add a space combat mode (which i doubt) it will probably be a TDM or CTF with vehicles on 3 axis, and not the objective driven fun of battlefront space combat. You'll just fly around in a slugish craft going pew pew at everything crosing yout LOS, probably won't even get a chance to walk around on your strike cruiser and chose what craft you want to fly in (you'll have to unlock others with micro-transactions and select it before the game even starts).

I really don't want to rain on anyones parade here, and i trully wish battlefront would be gloriously reborn. But this is fucking EA here. We all know what THEY do to games. And this is DICE ... modern realistic shooters? Go for it! A SF actiony objective driven shooter/space-sim that owes more of its feel to over the top action movies than realistic shooters? They will crash and burn. That beeing said i sincerly hope i will eat my predictions and be forced to bow in front on DICE and EA when they put out an excelent battlefront reebot that captures the feel of the original and has no dick moves to dick the user base with. But i doubt we will get more than a reskinned battlefield with none of the charm an fun of battlefront.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
you want some good pr ea? all you gotta do is not fuck this up! ok?
now lets all cross our fingers...

arc1991 said:
they weren't anything special...
considering that they were the only two(good) star wars fps, id say they were pretty special.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Carrots_macduff said:
you want some good pr ea? all you gotta do is not fuck this up! ok?
now lets all cross our fingers...

arc1991 said:
they weren't anything special...
considering that they were the only two(good) star wars fps, id say they were pretty special.
They were not "fps" fps means first person shooter, while you had the option of fps in the options menu, they were third person shooters.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
There better be space battles, and they better be good, dammit!
I'd love to see how DICE pulls this off.

tbh, though, I could never use the jets and helicopters in Battlefield 3, so if they're developing Battlefront 3, most likely I'm gonna have to stick as infantry.

CountryMike

Jul 26, 2008
Parakeettheprawn said:
V da Mighty Taco said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Give DICE whatever shit you want for their singleplayer campaigns, but fuck me if they can't make a good combined arms multiplayer game.

Also, this is someone who doesn't mind playing vanilla BF3. It's still a good and fun game.
I really, really have to disagree there. Most of the destruction capabilities were rendered moot by a massive overabundance of indestructible walls and objects, way too many non-open corridor-filled maps, guns often felt very similar (especially the sniper rifles), the balance was designed around hard-counters rather than soft ones (tanks vs infantry being a prime example), Engineer was very overpowered, the entire concept of weapons being only unlockable with real-world money; the list goes on. I honestly cannot say I'm not worried about the new Battlefront when these same people are the one's making it, especially when it risks homogenization due to the publisher.

I don't want a Battlefront game to seem like a serious military shooter in any way. I like my spacefights and non-AR / non-ironsight based gameplay.
...but it's being done by an entirely separate studio? I mean, yeah, still reason for concern but it isn't DICE in Europe, it's DICE LA, an entirely new studio.
No, the main Battlefront game is being made in Stockholm. DLC & Expansion packs are made in L.A.(under direction of the Swedish guys)