Star Wars: Battlefront Will Ignore the Prequels, Free Ep. VII DLC Planned

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
So... If DICE was really worth their salt, they'd put in fully destructible environments. And when I say fully destructible, I'm talking Red Faction: Guerilla destructible.
Especially in space. Have to escape a Star Destroyer as it is slowly being destroyed with debris falling all around as the player makes a mad dash to a ship to escape the death trap and not become space debris.

I want to see another galactic conquest mode. I liked how depending on who won in Battlefront 2 you got a short 'What If' scenario video.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Bat Vader said:
]Especially in space. Have to escape a Star Destroyer as it is slowly being destroyed with debris falling all around as the player makes a mad dash to a ship to escape the death trap and not become space debris.
Sorry to disappoint but there wont be any Space Battles, all action will take place planet side. Of course if your lucky they might add it on to buy as DLC later on.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
UFriday said:
Aw, hell.

The clone troopers were always my favourite army to play as, and I have a lot of fond memories of the maps based on the prequels.
Right? The empire and rebels were cool to play as, but they did not come close to having the flair of the droids or clone troopers. You don't get droidekas in the empire.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Looking pretty good.
I'm not sure on including certain hero units though. I may be wrong since I haven't played the earlier games but wasn't the point of Battlefront to deliver an online combat experience of regular troops in the Star Wars Universe?
Wouldn't these hero types such as Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Millennium Falcon etc. kind of undermine the importance of regular troops and deter people to wanting to play such units way more instead and inspire some kind of fight over who got to play as those?
I mean maybe I'm wrong and this intentionally imbalance is what makes it more dynamic and player don't even have a choice of playing as such unit but there is another system in place etc. but at first glance I would say that this is potentially troublesome.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Ishigami said:
Looking pretty good.
I'm not sure on including certain hero units though. I may be wrong since I haven't played the earlier games but wasn't the point of Battlefront to deliver an online combat experience of regular troops in the Star Wars Universe?
Wouldn't these hero types such as Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Millennium Falcon etc. kind of undermine the importance of regular troops and deter people to wanting to play such units way more instead and inspire some kind of fight over who got to play as those?
I mean maybe I'm wrong and this intentionally imbalance is what makes it more dynamic and player don't even have a choice of playing as such unit but there is another system in place etc. but at first glance I would say that this is potentially troublesome.
In Battlefront 1, Hero's were unkillable unless u blew them off the side of the map, like Bespin etc. Battlefront 2, Hero's were playable with a health bar that went down over time, gaining kills earned u health back. They were killable but required either skill from a few or being outnumbered by many. Vehicles were great at killing them.

If they follow that Hero's will be pretty balanced. The opnly hero i can think of who was OP in BF2 was Darth Maul. And seen as though he wont be in this one i think we are safe xD

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dalek Caan said:
Bat Vader said:
]Especially in space. Have to escape a Star Destroyer as it is slowly being destroyed with debris falling all around as the player makes a mad dash to a ship to escape the death trap and not become space debris.
Sorry to disappoint but there wont be any Space Battles, all action will take place planet side. Of course if your lucky they might add it on to buy as DLC later on.
Man, that's some crap. Space battles were in Battlefront 2. There is no reason Dice can't do space battles.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Bat Vader said:
Man, that's some crap. Space battles were in Battlefront 2. There is no reason Dice can't do space battles.
Want to feel even more enraged? Here's their reason why there wont be space battles.

"Space is hard, right? Not from a [development] perspective, but from a logistical perspective. Is that fun? For us it doesn't make sense to create a battle above you if you're fighting other players who are not there to fight. Our focus is to do planetary battles." Battlefront Producer Craig Mcleod added, "No space battles. It's all about the epic planetary battles and getting that right. Fighting with X-Wings and TIE Fighters, we have that. It's taken in the atmosphere. This is something we discussed with Lucasfilm and they were happy to be on board with that."

Let the hate flow through you.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Dalek Caan said:
Bat Vader said:
Want to feel even more enraged? Here's their reason why there wont be space battles.

"Space is hard, right? Not from a [development] perspective, but from a logistical perspective. Is that fun? For us it doesn't make sense to create a battle above you if you're fighting other players who are not there to fight. Our focus is to do planetary battles." Battlefront Producer Craig Mcleod added, "No space battles. It's all about the epic planetary battles and getting that right. Fighting with X-Wings and TIE Fighters, we have that. It's taken in the atmosphere. This is something we discussed with Lucasfilm and they were happy to be on board with that."

Let the hate flow through you.
Now 90% of the interest that I had in this game has just died. Guess I will be saving some money this November.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Dalek Caan said:
Bat Vader said:

Bunch of Nerf-Herding Huttspawn.

The space battles were hands down the best bit. What's wrong DICE? Is having to code anything that isn't just a reskin of your previous games too hard? Is your job too difficult for you? Would you like me to hold your hand while you struggle to find the buttons on your keyboard that aren't Control-V?

Pandemic didn't seem to have a problem with it. But you shut their ass down after a year of buying them didn't you EA? Because they were just a collateral damage purchase in order to acquire Bioware (and net your CEO a $5 million handshake cash sum since he owned the company that controlled Bioware/Pandemic I might add).

And where are Bioware now?
Mostly whored out on maintaining "The Old Republic" - A lacklustre F2P MMO... WHICH HAS SPACE BATTLES!

Seriously you guys are champions at buying diamond mines and repurposing them to quarry for gravel, then wondering why no one wants your sub-standard schlock and closing down the studios while blaming all the customers.

Go feed yourselves to a Sarlacc. It could do with a little gristle in its diet.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
arc1991 said:
shintakie10 said:
It hasn't completely destroyed my desire to play, but between that and the lack of space battles (the campaign was nice, but I'm not too worried about not havin it) I'm definitely on the wait and see list.
Considering we can pilot tie fighters,, X-wings, and judging by the trailer, either call in or fly over in Y-wings for a strafing run, i think its a safe bet we will have the option of flying in space or being on the ground, kinda like how Battlefront 3 was meant to be before it got canned the first time.

I Know this is just a cinematic trailer but i think it provided us a sneak look of what we can do, that shield and rocket trooper with a jet pack? hello support and anti-vehicle class! As i stated with the Y-Wings, either a killstreak or players will eb flying over head in ships, either from planet or coming from a space battle.
They've outright stated that space battles wont be a thing. You get fighters on the planet, thats it. Maybe some form of expansion or somethin down the line will add space battles, but as is? No space battles period.

As for ships I'm assumin they'll go the BF3-4 way. There's always a set number of ships you can fly at any given time. Stuff like the AT-AT might require...some form of investment to use. Probably not kill streaks cause that's not really a Battlefield thing, but maybe an investment of some point system, like Planetside.

Though thinkin about AT-AT's is what makes me mad about the loss of the prequels. The Rebels don't have armor, at all, at least none that actually show up in movies. They have no giant equivalent to the AT-AT. Hell, they don't even have an equivalent to the AT-ST or the AT-PT.

Unless they pull stuff out their butt, its basically goin to be the Rebels with their ground units and strong air units against the Empire with their fragile air units, beefy tank units, and ground units.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
shintakie10 said:
arc1991 said:
shintakie10 said:
It hasn't completely destroyed my desire to play, but between that and the lack of space battles (the campaign was nice, but I'm not too worried about not havin it) I'm definitely on the wait and see list.
Considering we can pilot tie fighters,, X-wings, and judging by the trailer, either call in or fly over in Y-wings for a strafing run, i think its a safe bet we will have the option of flying in space or being on the ground, kinda like how Battlefront 3 was meant to be before it got canned the first time.

I Know this is just a cinematic trailer but i think it provided us a sneak look of what we can do, that shield and rocket trooper with a jet pack? hello support and anti-vehicle class! As i stated with the Y-Wings, either a killstreak or players will eb flying over head in ships, either from planet or coming from a space battle.
They've outright stated that space battles wont be a thing. You get fighters on the planet, thats it. Maybe some form of expansion or somethin down the line will add space battles, but as is? No space battles period.

As for ships I'm assumin they'll go the BF3-4 way. There's always a set number of ships you can fly at any given time. Stuff like the AT-AT might require...some form of investment to use. Probably not kill streaks cause that's not really a Battlefield thing, but maybe an investment of some point system, like Planetside.

Though thinkin about AT-AT's is what makes me mad about the loss of the prequels. The Rebels don't have armor, at all, at least none that actually show up in movies. They have no giant equivalent to the AT-AT. Hell, they don't even have an equivalent to the AT-ST or the AT-PT.

Unless they pull stuff out their butt, its basically goin to be the Rebels with their ground units and strong air units against the Empire with their fragile air units, beefy tank units, and ground units.
In galactic battle grounds the equivalent of an AT-AT is what looks to be a Clone turbo tank

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/HAVw_A6_Juggernaut

they could easily incorporate that. And yeh, at the time of that post i hadn't seen the aricle that staed no space battles, but then im reminded that the first Battlefront didn't have Space combat and that is still a fun shooter today.

as long as the maps are huge and the gameplay good, im not bothered xD

Sep 14, 2009
josemlopes said:
Lightknight said:
Yes... it's quickly shaping up to be as though the prequels aren't cannon... that'd be nice :)
But to take off the battles of a game that is mostly just battles?

For all the crap it had I wouldnt throw it away because of Geonosis, Utupau, Coruscant and Naboo. Also the first clone troopers desing and droids.

OT: I just hope there is a Galactic Conquest mode (or similar), it really doesnt need traditional singleplayer but it sure as hell needs to be playable solo, and not just specific situations like what seems to be hinted, it needs to be full blown bots that can be playable in all maps.
pretty much this, they are focusing so damn much on ground online battles and fucking everyone in the ass on space battles and galactic conquest(a.k.a. bot mode) when that's what everyone's been begging for.

Fucking EA/Dice, of course you'd do this, stupid cocksuckers, you couldn't just take what was already made of battlefront 3 and finish that (the alpha on that looked glorious, too bad it didn't get finished).

HaWkE_N7

Mar 28, 2011
Looks like we're gonna have to wait until some developer can thrash out a deal with EA and Disney/LucasArts, to get permission, to release a fully upgraded version of Battlefront II if we're to get anywhere near the version of a new Battlefront that we all want

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Eh, I'm fine with no space battles. While it was a cool concept, the way it was executed in Battlefront II was a disappointment (not to say it was not enjoyable). It was something Dice surely could have improved on, but I'd much rather they made dogfighting competent to begin with. I think it'd work out much better in a planetary setting, anyway.

As for the lack of prequel material... that is a disappointment. People can say what they will about the prequels, but those movies had some of the best settings in the series, just about all of which translated to the games excellently. Not to mention the excellent unit designs on both sides. I had figured that this new game would focus a lot on the new movie one way or the other, but to lose all of that is just a damn shame.

And as far as the AT-AT being "on the rails," so to speak, I am actually fine with that, surprisingly.

GreyDevil

Jul 4, 2009
The trailer looks awesome. However it didn't shown any actual gameplay so it makes it more of a tech demo of their ability to use photogrammetry to capture the feel of the original trilogy.
There are several things that are instant warning lights for me. 1) 40 man battles, seriously Dice? I though we moved onto a global 64 man standard across all the new platforms now. 2) Only a handful of maps. Sorta disappointed that so many settings are being left out like Coruscant, Naboo, Bespin, Kamino, Death Star and Kashyyk among others. At the very least they are releasing the Battle of Jakku for free. 3) What the hell happened to the space battles! They made Battlefront 2! Being able to fly around between massive starships having slugging matches and fighting desperately inside of one to blow it up made it a very unique experience for me. 4) Why no Clone Wars? While everyone fell in love with the Original trilogy and sort of tried to sweep the prequels under the rug, the Clone Wars lend themselves much better to large multiplayer combat ala Battlefield style.

So I'm a bit disappointed with a lack of a few things that made BF2 so much fun (variety of maps, space combat and relevant factions with big battles) and they might backtrack on some of this stuff, I mean we still have a while until November 17th (Oh another real pet hate of mine, why the hell do the yanks get this game before the europeans!?! I thought we lived in a world of internet and global shipping so anything that isn't a simultaneous launch baffles me).

Them be my thoughts on what I currently know of Battlefront 3. It feels a bit underdeveloped but we will have to wait awhile before we get more information on the game to make a more informed decision. I really want this game to succeed as I love Star Wars and the Battlefront series and if this game does play well we will hopefully get more games like it from Dice and other reputable EA developers. But for the love of god nobody preorder this game (remember BF4 launch).

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-battlefront-will-not-use-battlelog-after-all/

Apparently it wont be using Battlelog, what has been used for the Battlefield games.

The Multiplayer system is built from scratch...Interesting, and some what relieving that it wont simply be using Battlefields multiplayer system.

Mar 30, 2010
Norix596 said:
How do you get snuck up on by an AT-AT?
More to the point what genius deploys AT-ATs into close jungle terrain? Surely that's akin to asking modern destroyers to traverse whitewater rapids. :/