Star Wars: Battlefront Won't Have Classes

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Battlefront Won't Have Classes

Star Wars: Battlefront will replace the older games' class system with unlockable weapons and gear.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars%20battlefront?os=star+wars+battlefront>Star Wars: Battlefront has, up until now, been a series built on classes. Before entering combat, players would pick a faction and select from a series of characters classes, each complete with their own weapons and skills. According to recent reports however, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/dice>DICE's upcoming series reboot will be doing away with that structure in favor of more free-form customization options.

Originally featured in the pages of OXM, said reports have indicated that the new <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-podcast/10116-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Podcast>Battlefront will be replacing the series' previous class system with unlockable weapons and gear that players will be able to "freely" select prior to combat. Perhaps hoping to ease fears that Battlefront will just be a Star Wars re-skin of its previous games, DICE also confirmed that it will be moving away from Battlefield's five man squads and will instead use a unique "partners" system that will link two players together. The linked players will be able to use each other as spawn points, see one another on their respective HUDs and even share access to unlocked weaponry.

While we'll obviously have to see how these planned features play out in the actual game, they nonetheless sound like interesting additions to both Battlefront and standard multiplayer FPS formula itself. I'm sure there are purists out there who would prefer that the new game just emulate the franchise's past. That said, I'm personally looking forward to seeing the new twists and tweaks that DICE adds to the original formula. Just make sure you get space battles in there at some point too, please.

Source: OXM via GamesRadar

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
No classes? It's going to be great to play a game set in communist future.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
I'm sure just so everyone doesn't look the same you will be able to customize your characters outfits per team, and they will be so nice to add lots and lots of gear to pay for!

Scout trooper helmet, $5

Ammo bandleader $2

wanna play as a wookie $20

http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win Would recommend people watch this, its how EA figured out that people are dumb, and how they don't have to listen to the community.

Oh and they tried the too man squads in medal of honor war-fighter, It did not work, but i supose this will be some way to make the 20 player team not seem so small

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
The more I read about this game the more it seems to just be a Battlefield game with a Star Wars skin. Being as I'm not a big fan of Battlefield, I'm thinking it means I'm going to have to skip it.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Seriously the more stuff I hear about this game the less I want it. DICE just stop now, please, stop trying to make this Battlefield: Star Wars.

"Unlockables" is one of the stupidest goddamn things to happen in FPS gaming. If your game is good enough you shouldn't NEED to put in goals to keep people playing it, because people will play it because its fun. Now there's a novel idea!

And I'm not even going to go into how inherently anti-competitive unlockable systems in multiplayer games are.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
So a classless system is just like Battlefield... which has a class system... This is one of the cases where it's less like Battlefield and people are saying it's more like Battlefield just to say it.

Unless, of course, you're talking about a progression system, in which case it is more like Battlefield.

Right now, it's actually kind of sounding like Call of Duty.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Wait wasn't this already confirmed? Unless they're only just officially confirming it now.

I lament SWBF. 3 could still be a good game, but it won't bear much resemblance to its older brethren.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wasn't this already mentioned when that first bit of information about all the stuff that WON'T be in the game came out? Eh, oh well...

Point is that yeah, more and more this is looking like a Battlefield reskin...just as Hardline was just a BF4 reskin. Why bother making a new game when you can just retool your existing assets? Make a reskinned map-pack and call it a game.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Lightspeaker said:
Seriously the more stuff I hear about this game the less I want it. DICE just stop now, please, stop trying to make this Battlefield: Star Wars.

"Unlockables" is one of the stupidest goddamn things to happen in FPS gaming. If your game is good enough you shouldn't NEED to put in goals to keep people playing it, because people will play it because its fun. Now there's a novel idea!

And I'm not even going to go into how inherently anti-competitive unlockable systems in multiplayer games are.
But...if we make the unlocking process tedious enough we can get morons to pay for weapon packs too :D:D:D

Yeah. Fuck unlockable bullshit.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Seriously? Guys, you already had this in the last Battlefront news article.

Anyway, I dunno about this. On one hand, classes were fun. On the other, the class system was pretty shit if you played online. It has probably been 6 or 7 years since anyone has played Battlefront 2 multiplayer, so probably all of our memories on the game are not as good as we think. The non-assault/sniper classes were only useful offline. In instant action, the bots were worse than noobs so it was actually possible to shoot someone in the face with a rocket launcher without dying. Online, not so much.

What you guys really ought to have reported on is that there will be no iron sights for first person, only scopes. Basically, Battlefront is gonna be a huge combination of the Big 3: CoD, Battlefront, and Halo.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
drakonz said:
well its confirmed battlefront is battlefield reskin :(
Except that Battlefield has classes so what are you going on about?

If anything they're taking a peek at Call of Duty and their style of progression. I'm in two minds about it. First, yes, free customization is awesome. However, unlockable bullshit doesn't respect my time as a player very much and I definitely don't like that. Not to mention the questions this raises for balance. Will lower-level games just don't have certain critical abilities? Or are we at least given those? We could use with some more information.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
No classes? It's going to be great to play a game set in communist future.
Yeah, sure, if you don't mind deficit of gear and waiting in line to be able to buy vehicles.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
You know, they could have just made a high-definition remake of battlefront 2 with modern matchmaking and made approximately all of the money. I wonder why they're making it some bastard offspring of modern Battlefield and Call of Duty. This seriously could have been the easiest money this side of Halo Anniversary edition.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
FogHornG36 said:
http://www.slideshare.net/bcousins/paying-to-win Would recommend people watch this, its how EA figured out that people are dumb, and how they don't have to listen to the community.
I think the most telling thing in that presentation is what he (and by extension EA) considers 'long term,' and how catastrophic that turned out to be.

On just over six months of data he declared himself right and the noisy community wrong, I also like how he took a few months of revenue growth (that had already plateaued after three months) and declared future growth a certainty.

Five years later (conveniently ten times the amount of data he presented) he doesn't work for EA anymore and EA is shuttering the game. Meanwhile League of Legends (released at the same time) and Team Fortress 2 (two years older, paid for at the time) are still going with less aggressive pay walls. It really does seem like the blind leading the blind at EA sometimes.

I wonder how much income EA has spent on all the Battlefield games released since 2009 and how much income they generated stacks up to the amount on money Valve spent on TF2/CS:GO and Riot spent on LoL against how much they got back. I'd bet the answers are more spent and less recouped, but it would be interesting to know by how much.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
... I... Dice... I... How did you manage to screw up this badly already? I'm flabbergasted and somewhat impressed at just how quickly my inbuilt hype for more Battlefront has been crushed by the realization that this is a mangled corpse with bits of Battlefield sewn onto it and rubber stamped with "IT'S BATTLEFRONT YOU GUYS HONEST!" repeatedly.

Seriously it's like they took every little thing I liked about Battlefront, threw it out the window and just decided to build... this... this abomination.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
This was DICE's chance to finally try and take some of the class-based FPS market that is currently dominated by Team Fortress 2. Likewise, it was their chance to challenge Overwatch. Instead of further improving the vague class system that DICE has used in the past, they take the low route and make the game unlock based. I highly doubt that the stock weapons will be balanced with the unlock weapons, so they have turned Battlefront into Call of Duty.

No, thanks. I'll pass on this one now.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Hey, at least EA were kind enough to tell us in advance that the game was going to be shit.
The more I heard, the more I think that this is someone in DICE saying "Don't bother, it's not worth it" without EA knowing.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
They lost me when they said I couldn't play a Droidekas in this one. Seriously! how can you go from a 10 to a 0 and keep digging yourself further down from there. Dose EA get a sexual fetish from pissing off gamers or something ?