Star Wars: Battlefront Won't Have Classes

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
God dammit, I hate battlefields weapon unlock mechanics, its a bloody hindrance and an annoyance and in no way is it fun.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Random Argument Man said:
I'd rather buy an old xbox and play my old copy of Battlefront 2. It wasn't hard to get it right DICE.

Evil Smurf said:
No classes? It's going to be great to play a game set in communist future.
I just need to post this for you. You deserve this.

Thanks comrade.

killerbee256

Aug 14, 2014
Scow2 said:
drakonz said:
well its confirmed battlefront is battlefield reskin :(
Umm... Star Wars: Battlefront has been a Battlefield reskin since 2004. Seriously - Battlefront has always been an attempt to be Battlefield with a Star Wars skin. And now they're finally by the same developer.

And losing the class system sucks hard, because it forces all options to be modularly balanced with each other, instead of allowing balance to be on the total package.
Battlefront was inspired by a battlefield 1942 star wars mod. http://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-galactic-conquest

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
WouldYouKindly said:
So a classless system is just like Battlefield... which has a class system... This is one of the cases where it's less like Battlefield and people are saying it's more like Battlefield just to say it.

Unless, of course, you're talking about a progression system, in which case it is more like Battlefield.

Right now, it's actually kind of sounding like Call of Duty.
Cowabungaa said:
drakonz said:
well its confirmed battlefront is battlefield reskin :(
Except that Battlefield has classes so what are you going on about?

If anything they're taking a peek at Call of Duty and their style of progression. I'm in two minds about it. First, yes, free customization is awesome. However, unlockable bullshit doesn't respect my time as a player very much and I definitely don't like that. Not to mention the questions this raises for balance. Will lower-level games just don't have certain critical abilities? Or are we at least given those? We could use with some more information.
To be honest Battlefield Hardline barely had classes as anyone could almost be effective in anything since each class had a wide variety of weapon classes and gear to choose from.

I kind of find it weird to what gear could we be possibly unlock, do I really want to be a Stormtrooper with anything other then his signature blaster? They had different units for different purposes, mismatching them doesnt really look very Star Wars.

The Rebels I could see it working like that a bit but the Empire not much

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I've hated most of the news that has come out surrounding Battlefront, but not this. I always found class systems too limiting anyway. I see this as more a return to Codename Eagle and Unreal Tournament, which can never be a bad thing. This actually made me more intrigued about the game, as well as the wonderful no ironsights news.

...Still not enough to make me buy it though. No... you'd definitely need space combat for that to happen, DICE...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I love how most of the info about the new Battlefront is about what it WON'T have. Almost like the people making/publishing it don't really care...

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
Cause why would we want an interesting and varied gameplay with unique balanced classes to choose from? Because why the hell would we want to encourage team work through some soft asymmetry right? And FUCK having recognizable silhouettes!

I knew this game could never live up to my memories of Battlefron 2, but it's sad just how homogeneous shooters are becoming.

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
Already knew this yeah? Oh well, it still hurts every time I see news for this trainwreck. It could be a decent game, but it very clearly won't be a Battlefront game.

So they're taking away the Droidekas, the Magnaguard, the commander units, the cool as shit unique guys that turned skirmishes around and changed things up, and replacing them with.....dudes..... Just dudes with varying types of rifles. I mean for fucks sakes they said rocket launchers were gonna be power ups. Goddamnit Dice. I didn't mind when you toiled in mediocrity, making brown shooter after brown shooter. I was perfectly happy ignoring you. And now you've got your mitts on a precious franchise from my golden age of co op gaming. A sad day indeed.

Holy shit I'm a pessimistic person, but hey, if it walks like a cheap reskin of an existing franchise, talks like it, and (presumably) charges for cosmetic options like it, it's probably a cheap reskin of an existing franchise right?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Would have been better to give it to the Developers of the Mass Effect 3 Multiplier team. Still impressed with the level of variety those people manage to put into a game add-on that that had been a joke in 99% of other games at the time. People are STILL playing it.

Balance the classes a bit for PvP, make the skills and weapons a more Star Warsy, and add some space combat and it would have been great.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
for people bitching about the progression system, didn't you ever play Battlefront 2? i remember grinding away rifle kills on polis massa to unlock the elite rifle, and then permanently unlocking it by getting the medal enough times...

that's a progression system.

God of Velcro

Feb 3, 2015
Honestly, I would prefer this to be a reskin of the original Battlefront games, same thing, just updated graphics. Thats all I wanted.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
flying_whimsy said:
RealRT said:
No, no, do tell us more about how your new game is going to be inferior compared to a 10-year old title.
Ha!

With all of the changes they keep announcing, it kind of makes me wonder why they don't just call it something else at this point. I'm not seeing a lot of battlefront anymore. I understand trying to make something new, but this is sounding like a repeat of the trainwreck that the thief remake turned out to be.

I was actually excited about this at one point, but it doesn't even sound fun to me now. :(
I was only excited for it when I didn't know anything about it.
I guess Pandemic, the original Battlefront developer could make it right... OH WAIT, EA F[bleep!]KING CLOSED PANDEMIC IN 2009.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I remember being so happy when the project was reborn, even when I found out it was an EA product. Then the Space Battles (one of the things in 2 I loved but thought could be improved heavily in next gen) were cut, Galactic Conquest (what me and my brother would play religiously) was cut, they promise on rail AT-AT's (oh what's the point of using them then?), and now they're cutting the class system for customization?

Part of the fun was building enough to get the higher tiers, I don't want customized load outs, on rail AT-AT's or planet only combat, I already have games for those, I want Battlefront, a game where I can play out my weird fantasy of being space Napoleon.

I have never seen a game from so anticipated to so dreaded.

Dukect

May 27, 2009
So with this news about SW Battlefront it makes me glad that I still won't go to the Next gen consoles and just stick with my PS3 and 360

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
If you're just going to strip out all the good stuff from the originals, why call it Battlefront at all? Oh that's right, you want the brand name and nothing else.

Seriously:
-Fewer maps
-No playable AT-ATs
-No space battles
-No Republic/CIS
-No classes
-No AI bots
-No conquest mode
-(Probably) no Wampa/Ewok battle levels

The more they reveal about this game, the less I want it and I say that as someone who was really excited about it. Its going away from the sort of (occasionally silly) fun the originals were known for to the hyper polished sterile AAA version of Fun?. Quite frankly I was excited at first but I don't think I'm going to buy it. Seriously, just make it a new IP.

The thing to remember is that while Star Wars Battlefront was always basically Battlefield: Star Wars edition, it added a lot of mechanics that made it into it's own thing--stuff like space battles, jedi battles, unique classes like droidekas, etc. Stuff not really seen in the regular Battlefield games at the time, which made it so much more than just a reskin.

Mar 26, 2008
Jandau said:
I love how most of the info about the new Battlefront is about what it WON'T have. Almost like the people making/publishing it don't really care...
Ha ha! That is so true. I've never seen a game promise less right out of the box.

Jingle Fett said:
-No playable AT-ATs
What!? Alright, that's pretty much the final straw. That was a highlight of the previous games for me.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
Great. It is going to be just like every other bland military shooter that has come out since CoD4, only with a Star Wars skin. They have totally gutted everything from the second installment, making a vastly inferior product. This is extremely disappointing. I remember having a lot of fun playing on-line on Battlefront 2, this game... this game is going to be just another homogenized, gutted, DLC laden, modern day shooter like all the rest of them. Screw this.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I'm fine with no classes, means I can probably make a hand full of custom stormtroopers and rebels to fit my play style.

Didn't the PSP versions of battlefront do this as well?

I honestly don't see a problem at all....

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Shiftygiant said:
I remember being so happy when the project was reborn, even when I found out it was an EA product. Then the Space Battles (one of the things in 2 I loved but thought could be improved heavily in next gen) were cut, Galactic Conquest (what me and my brother would play religiously) was cut, they promise on rail AT-AT's (oh what's the point of using them then?), and now they're cutting the class system for customization?

Part of the fun was building enough to get the higher tiers, I don't want customized load outs, on rail AT-AT's or planet only combat, I already have games for those, I want Battlefront, a game where I can play out my weird fantasy of being space Napoleon.

I have never seen a game from so anticipated to so dreaded.
The at at on the rail is a game mode. All vehicles can be piloted in standard games.

People need to do some reading me thinks.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I have never seen a company try so hard to tell people exactly how bland and boring their game is going to be so early before a games launch.

"So whatcha got in your game?"

"Some guns and stuff...you can shoot other people"

Sounds like a conversation I could have with a 15 year old hobbyist game designer that was fucking around in Unity.