Star Wars Episode 7

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, after those horrible, uninspired and crap prequels, the fumbly editing and the actual renaming of the first three movies to episodes 4-6 respectively, I doubt much more damage can be done to the IP.

Besides, while I have pretty much given up on the Star Wars IP as is, as the current 'other' gems in the bucket are basically all based on the giddily colourful My Little Princess and My Angry Anakin prequel nonsense, there is a slight chance that more inspired folks at Disney can actually handle the property with the respect and care it deserves. Having Lucas as a "creative consultant" still bears significant risks, but what the hell. Disney couldn't possibly wreck it any more... can they?

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
OT: Don't really care. Star Wars is ruined. But I guess they have nowhere to go but up, so there's that at least.

ShaqLevick said:
Seriously has Disney ever put out anything but quality programming.
Hannah Montana: The Movie
Beverly Hills Chihuahua
College Road Trip
Underdog
The Game Plan
Teacher's Pet
Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen
The Pacifier
Ice Princess
The Shaggy Dog
The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause
Snow Dogs
The Country Bears
The Santa Clause 2
The Lizzie McGuire Movie
G-Force
Austin & Ally
Hannah Montana
Shake It Up
Jake and the Never Land Pirates
A.N.T. Farm
Jessie
Sonny With A Chance
Jonas L.A.
can't
compile
more
without
strangling
self

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
I'd think it's too early to say for certain. It's certainly possible that Disney will turn things around and make a new great Star Wars series but given what's already happened and Star Wars' place in the pop culture, it isn't likely. Not impossible mind you, but it would be very difficult.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
I feel a disturbance in the force

(couldn't help it, I'm sorry)

Well I hope they make some good star wars movies. If not... Well in my version of the world I get to ignore certain things. So if they suck, to me they never existed.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
Did anyone else feel a chill go up their spine?

I've got a bad feeling about this...
Agreed. This can not end very well. If anything, this will be the final nail in the Star Wars coffin.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I'm more worried about what the fanboys are gonna do more so then Disney, it's easy to ignore a bad movie, an entire internet of whining is a bit harder to ignore.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Well, after those horrible, uninspired and crap prequels, the fumbly editing and the actual renaming of the first three movies to episodes 4-6 respectively, I doubt much more damage can be done to the IP.
Wait a sec, the original trilogy has always been episodes 4-6.

I remember watching the original trilogy as boy. It was the un-remastered version on VHS (no extra shots or dubs or anything; just in their natural original goodness). Even then they were episodes 4-6. I remember asking my dad why they were called that if there wasn't a 1-3. So the idea of the prequels was always there.

I should probably go look for those tapes at my folks' house...they're probably worth a fortune as much as people value the original "unedited" trilogy

DrRockor said:
I saw the headline and just went "Oh fuck off!".
I believe yahtzee said it best, people need to slap George away from the editing desk and give him a colouring books so he doesn't determinedly destroy his own franchise so much
Ironically, I had just watched that episode a few minutes before seeing the headline. Yahtzee gets his wish. Hopefully, Disney can do some Marvel magic on it and make it awesome again.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I have only seen 2 Star Wars films and they were part of the prequel trilogy... I haven't seen Attack of the Clones, the live action or animated one so I really couldn't care less but I despise George Lucas for the 4th Indiana Jones film and I'm glad he's having at least one franchise taken away from him...

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
idarkphoenixi said:
the actual renaming of the first three movies to episodes 4-6 respectively
It needs to be said that this is explicitly untrue. A New Hope was always Episode IV, even back when it was very first played in theaters. It's a relatively common misconception that they were renamed, but it's blatantly false.

If memory serves, Lucas thought an in-media-res opening would be better, and essentially threw the viewer into the middle of the story.

MCrewdson001

Jul 4, 2011
themyrmidon said:
I wonder how much established "canon" they will accept or ignore. So much expanded universe goes into the immediate timeline afterward they have three options: make it an adaptation of the expanded universe; make how they want in spite of the expanded universe, or sidestep the issue by setting it distantly beyond episode 6.

It's a long wait, and lot remains to be seen, but I have confidence in Disney. They've made good movies targeted at a similar audience recently (Tron: Legacy, John Carter, Pirates 1, 2, and 4, Phase One) so I think it's worth giving them a shot. They already know how steep the price would be for screwing up.
It could be good but Lucas is staying on as a creative consultant so who knows, all we can do is hope for the best

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
The Madman said:
Don't care. Star Wars as a franchise needs to just stop. No more. No more annoying merchandising, no more movies, no more 'special editions', no more games. Just stop. End it now before it gets even more ridiculous and stupid.
because Disney is well known for being very judicious with their franchises.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Congratulations, you have just listed every child's show they have done in the recent years (well, almost). You do realize that Disney also created Avengers and Muppets, right? Both brilliant movies. They can bring a franchise justice, which they have shown. Then again, Star Wars' primary audience isn't a bunch of pre-teens.
He asked the question, I gave the answer. Everything else is irrelevant unless you want to dispute Hannah Montana's status as a bad show.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
So potentially good news.

If it's good it can be watched, and if it's bad it can be ignored. It's not like better Star Wars movies were expected.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Elect G-Max said:
"Star Wars Episode 7 planned for 3 years from now; fans already complaining about how much it sucks"
Very true. The internet never fails at surprising me with how much it can *****. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing who is going to write and direct it. If by the grace of God they get Joss Whedon onboard after the Avengers 2 is done that would be a Godsend. Or if they have John Lasseter, that guy is a genius at film making and this would be an awesome first live action movie for him. Either way, I've got my doubts but I think that has a real chance of being great.