Star Wars Episode VII: Is Oxford Student Ben Kenobi's Descendant?

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
NLS said:
Ben Kenobi's descendant? Has this been confirmed?

That's pretty much pissing on his grave. After all that "living the way of the Jedi" and not allowing romantic feelings, how the f did ben end up with a kid?
Don't take my word for it, but I remember a guy I knew who was huge into the expanded universe saying that Jedi were allowed to have sex, they just weren't supposed to get emotionally invested in a romantic relationship, as ass-backwards as that sounds. So that might be the angle they take it in. After all the only way a descendant of Obi-Wan even sort-of works is if he never knew they existed/were the result of a brief encounter.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Great, now all they need is Chewie's son, R2-D2's niece, Lando's adopted daughter, Admiral Ackbar's third cousin twice removed and it'll be complete.

As to the issue of how Obi-Wan managed to father a kid... this is Star Wars we're talking about. Has everyone forgotten that the explanation for Anakin not having a father is pretty much 'immaculate conception'?

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Nurb said:
It better not be a direct decendant, it's not canon that Obi Wan had any kids, and it'd be totally out of his character because he was so damn "Old Order" Jedi he shat Yodas. (And yes, you're now picturing Old Ben Kenobi with Yodas flying out of his ass giving that little laugh of his). No way would he have screwed a female on the side.

Aside from it being out of character to have a kid, this reeks of throwing in a character for name recognition to get asses in seats. Abrams did all that shit in Star Trek... ("Tribbles and Green girls, they'll remember those, let's put em in!")

Disney also has a nasty habit of targeting demographics for Maximum Moichanising [http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/1526_3.jpg], and they're milking their existing princess stable for all they're worth, eager to add more.

Disney and Abrams are a danger to the franchise as much as Lucas, but in a different way, all the characters could be "supercharged and screaming" like in Star Trek. Hopefully, all the people they're bringing in from the original movies can tell them "No" when they need to hear it as they did during IV to VI.

CardinalPiggles said:
She certainly looks like a strong confident person in that picture of her, rather than cutesy damsel in distress, so that's something to look forward to.

My ideal situation would be to see her kick Solo in the balls for calling her toots or something.
That was Leia in the originals, but the sarcastic smart-ass tough girl character is such an overused trope it's really painful to see if they aren't written correctly, but Abrams isn't subtle about character traits at all.
It sort of depends on how much you read into The Clone Wars animated series. If TCW is considered cannon going forward, then Obi Wan did have a lover. Satine Kyrze, the Duchess of Mandalore. he and she had apparently been a bit of a thing when he was stationed on Mandalore for some crisis back in the day (about 12 or 13 years prior to the Clone Wars, probably not to long before The Phantom Menace). He supposedly faced the same basic choice as Anakin, but turned towards the Jedi order.

Now here's where it gets weird, and is pure speculation, but you can kind of do the math. During the course of the show we meet Satine's young "nephew", Korki. Who is maybe 12 or 13 or so when we first meet him. at or slightly younger than Ashoka Tano. But the only other member of Satine's family that is ever introduced is her younger sister Bo Katan, who is far far too young to be Korki's mother. So yeah, there is the possibility in at least some level of on screen cannon, that Obi Wan had a son. and the son was Mandalorian.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
Nurb said:
It better not be a direct decendant, it's not canon that Obi Wan had any kids, and it'd be totally out of his character because he was so damn "Old Order" Jedi he shat Yodas. (And yes, you're now picturing Old Ben Kenobi with Yodas flying out of his ass giving that little laugh of his). No way would he have screwed a female on the side.

Aside from it being out of character to have a kid, this reeks of throwing in a character for name recognition to get asses in seats. Abrams did all that shit in Star Trek... ("Tribbles and Green girls, they'll remember those, let's put em in!")

Disney also has a nasty habit of targeting demographics for Maximum Moichanising [http://images3.static-bluray.com/reviews/1526_3.jpg], and they're milking their existing princess stable for all they're worth, eager to add more.

Disney and Abrams are a danger to the franchise as much as Lucas, but in a different way, all the characters could be "supercharged and screaming" like in Star Trek. Hopefully, all the people they're bringing in from the original movies can tell them "No" when they need to hear it as they did during IV to VI.

CardinalPiggles said:
She certainly looks like a strong confident person in that picture of her, rather than cutesy damsel in distress, so that's something to look forward to.

My ideal situation would be to see her kick Solo in the balls for calling her toots or something.
That was Leia in the originals, but the sarcastic smart-ass tough girl character is such an overused trope it's really painful to see if they aren't written correctly, but Abrams isn't subtle about character traits at all.
Ben was Mid order Jedi not Old Order Jedi. Unless Obi Won was in the order during or before the Jedi Civil War, he wasn't part of the old Jedi order.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
NLS said:

That's pretty much pissing on his grave. After all that "living the way of the Jedi" and not allowing romantic feelings, how the f did ben end up with a kid?
Sex and romance don't have to go hand in hand. Maybe he lost a bet this one time.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Thoralata said:
canadamus_prime said:
NLS said:

That's pretty much the first thing I thought of when I read "Ben Kenobi's Descendant."
Canonically, Obi Wan had a brother on his home planet when he was taken by the Jedi.
I always thought "descendant" meant offspring or offspring of offspring that came directly from your blood and other blood relatives are just that: blood relatives.

But then english isn't my first language and I learn it from watching movies, reading books and the dictionary.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
Maybe the geneticists at Kamino combined Obi-Wan Kenobi's DNA with Jango Fett's DNA and created some sort of super hot Jedi/Mandalorian/Hit Girl hybrid with neon pink light saber-chucks.

Onmyoudo

Nov 20, 2012
Jedi were forbidden from having emotional relationships but casual sex was allowed. Check out the "Way of life" section here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi . Ki Adi Mundi had seven daughters, apparently.

Edit: Fixed link.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Oh look, more thread-space on The Escapist for people to crap all over the director of the new Star Wars films. All the cool kids are doing it!

Descendant doesn't necessarily mean that Ben himself got busy. It could be a relation's offspring, like a niece or something. Or since it is after-all a sci-fi setting, some of his DNA could of been used to create a lab baby. Hell, we can pretty much do that now, in our real world.

Anyway, what does it matter? She's a good actress, give her a chance in the role. That is if it's even accurate, since it appears that nothing is set-in-stone and this entire 'reveal' is basically conjecture.

prophet0607

Mar 11, 2009
So... aside from the whole "Ben Kenobi's descendant" aspect, does anyone else not like how the rumor is basically in the title? Doesn't anyone else want to avoid rumors, why can't all of these-type articles just say "RUMORS" in the title and that's it. I literally don't want to know anything about Star Wars VII until the theater goes dark at midnight.