Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
roseofbattle said:
The movie will not be using CGI [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136937-Rian-Johnson-Says-that-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-is-Using-More-Practical-Sets-Than-the-Prequel-Trilogy]...
Hahahahaha... sure.

About the title, its not that bad. It is not great either, but Star Wars subtitles have always been underwhelming.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
I guess things like this should be expected from movies that have release dates before they have scripts. Disney.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Brian Tams said:
The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.
It gives me an idea and it's one I don't like. It sounds like some newbloods awaken to the force and begin training in the ways of the Jedi. That would go in line with the "oh shit, hero grampa died, now I've got to do stuff" which is one theory as to what the plot might be. The stupid thing is that if some of Luke's or Leila and Han's kids were force sensitive, they would be trained from young age. And god forbid they only now start a new Academy, 30 fucking years after the Empire fell.

But hey, it's by the same guy who made the proud Klingon into space orks. So I guess fuck original lore and continuity.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Brian Tams said:
The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.
I dont' know anything about the plot of the movie, but as far as I'm aware being a force user was pretty rare in the Star Wars main trilogy, hell there was only 5 roughly in the first 3 movies, unlike the swarm there was in the prequels, and with the wipe of the extended universe we don't know how many are actually left. Maybe it's some sort of surge of force users becoming active or discovering their powers. A new age of Jedi and Sith.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
roseofbattle said:
The movie will not be using CGI [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136937-Rian-Johnson-Says-that-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-is-Using-More-Practical-Sets-Than-the-Prequel-Trilogy], Episode VIII director Rian Johnson said.
hermes200 said:
Hahahahaha... sure.
The original article says that less CGI is being used, not none. They built a bunch of practical sets and props, including some full-sized X-Wings, but unless someone's come up with a convincing way of using practical effects for laser blasts and lightsabers, there's going to be some CGI involved.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Is that the whole title? No mention of it being episode VII?

I guess it fits in with the current naming trend.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
UNHchabo said:
roseofbattle said:
The movie will not be using CGI [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136937-Rian-Johnson-Says-that-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-is-Using-More-Practical-Sets-Than-the-Prequel-Trilogy], Episode VIII director Rian Johnson said.
hermes200 said:
Hahahahaha... sure.
The original article says that less CGI is being used, not none. They built a bunch of practical sets and props, including some full-sized X-Wings, but unless someone's come up with a convincing way of using practical effects for laser blasts and lightsabers, there's going to be some CGI involved.
Yeah... my comment was directed more to the misdirection of the link than to the credibility of the claim.

I still think there is a lot of potential for bs in the claim (it being LucasArts and all), but there is no reason to discredit it before I see the movie.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
AgentLampshade said:
Well, a better title would've been "The Awakening of the Force" but eh. It's okay. Mostly I'm looking forward to Drew Struzan's amazing posters again.
Damn. That is better, and it only took 10 posts.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Brian Tams said:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

We still have no idea about the plot of the new movie.

If I have to guess (and this is only a guess based on the title), there is going to be an event that will awake the force in hundreds or thousands of people in the universe, and the heroes are going to race against the clock to identify and recruit the new jedis before a new threat (maybe a new sith lord) beats them to it and creates an army of dark force users...

Something similar to the third season of Legend of Korra.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Oh, this title is almost as silly as Days of Future Past. No mention of it being Episode VII also doesn't look promising, given that every other Star Wars film does that.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Nimcha said:
Is that the whole title? No mention of it being episode VII?

I guess it fits in with the current naming trend.
Yeah, I was about to say that, on the twitter announcement they just call it the short title too (though VII is mentioned afterwards as a hashtag). A shame but I suppose they're aiming to get new audiences in who haven't necessarily seen all of the previous movies, if the numeral is dropped.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Another way of saying "The Jedi will get its act together and kick Sith ass" but making it more non confrontational. Awakens sounds less violent i guess. lol

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Maybe it means the force awakens in someone? The new main character most probably.

or maybe in this new EU the Jedi have only just started to reform, who knows. Tbf Return of the jedi, was a bit of a silly title considering there had been Jedi in the previous movies. I don't mind this new one, so long as it means something for the film.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
hermes200 said:
Brian Tams said:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

We still have no idea about the plot of the new movie.

If I have to guess (and this is only a guess based on the title), there is going to be an event that will awake the force in hundreds or thousands of people in the universe, and the heroes are going to race against the clock to identify and recruit the new jedis before a new threat (maybe a new sith lord) beats them to it and creates an army of dark force users...

Something similar to the third season of Legend of Korra.
Now that would be awesome xD

JJ?! YOU READING THIS!? XD

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Brian Tams said:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

Really?

Gee, I dont know, maybe now for a long time there wasnt any jedi/sith conflict, therefore the force was "sleeping" (or dormant for the use of a better word) and now that conflict as "awoken" for the events of the new trilogy.

For fuck sakes, its the usual Star Wars title, is everyone just complaining because they have to by now?

EDIT: Really, what does "JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again" have to do with anything, the title is really clear on what it is.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
dragongit said:
Brian Tams said:

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

I dont' know anything about the plot of the movie, but as far as I'm aware being a force user was pretty rare in the Star Wars main trilogy, hell there was only 5 roughly in the first 3 movies, unlike the swarm there was in the prequels, and with the wipe of the extended universe we don't know how many are actually left. Maybe it's some sort of surge of force users becoming active or discovering their powers. A new age of Jedi and Sith.
Did you think it will be about Avatar Luke causing a Harmonic Convergence and suddenly there will be a whole bunch of new force benders?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Aren't odd-numbered movies supposed to be something evil?
That's Star TREK, as for the name meh who cares it's the combination and context of the name alongside the content of the movie, who knows in a years time we may look back and think that movie was f*cking awesome and the name just fit just right.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Silvianoshei said:
Wow. That's...bleeding awful. Yeesh. I think I used that line in foreplay at some point.

They might as well have just called it STAR WARS: REVELATIONS instead.
Agreed. It's so . . . I mean, for one, it's a title that tells us absolutely nothing about what's going on in the story. Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - There is a hidden enemy threatening us.
Episode 2: Attack of the Clones - Admittedly stupid, but it tells us that there will be clones and they will be attacking.
Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - The Sith are going to rise from power, gaining revenge for being nearly destroyed in the past.
Episode 4: A New Hope - After a long period of oppression, there is a new hope for the Galaxy.
Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back - The empire is retaliating for what the rebels did in the previous movie.
Episode 6: Return of the Jedi - The Jedi, having nearly been driven to extinction, are going to come back and fix the problem.
Episode 7: The Force Awakens - . . . um, what? It doesn't feel like it belongs. It feels utterly generic for a series where all of the titles were, by design, sort of generic. I suppose that's an accomplishment, it its own, incredibly brain-damaged way.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I ok with that since wasn't the original title had shadow or dark words in it?