Star Wars Episode VII Title Announced

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
You know what this title really makes me think of?

Luke shouting at that Darth Vader helmet: "Father... father, the sleeper has awakened!"

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Well, it follows the naming pattern for [i/]Star Wars[/i] subtitles. That's the only positive thing I can say about it.

AgentLampshade said:
Well, a better title would've been "The Awakening of the Force" but eh. It's okay.
Nonono, X of the Y can only be used for every third movie. The naming pattern! You gotta stick to the naming pattern!!!!!

First film = 3 word title: The Phantom Menace, A New Hope
Second film = something, something, violence: Attack of the Clones, The Empire Strikes Back
Third film = X of the Y: Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi

Wait, what do you mean Episode 2 also fits X of the Y? Oh. Well, uh...

(In case it isn't clear I'm mocking the hardcore fanboy's adherence to tradition here.)

o_d

Mar 27, 2011
All of the Star Wars subtitles are terrible when you think about it.
Maybe they're just keeping with tradition?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
They're just jealous that The New Jedi Order got the awesome finale title "The Unifying Force" and there was nothing they could do to beat it.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Silvianoshei said:
Wow. That's...bleeding awful. Yeesh. I think I used that line in foreplay at some point.

They might as well have just called it STAR WARS: REVELATIONS instead.
It's cheesy, but not really any worse than the others. Remember the originals used words like "REVENGE" and "RETURN" and "MENACE".

So, this title doesn't bother me.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
You see, I would have gone with a new new hope.

Or an even NEWER hope.

Or how Leigha got her groove back.

Hell, you can call it yoda's guide to genital warts, just change the tital. I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand we have no CGI, which is good. On the other hand we have Disney and JJ Abrams.... Which is slightly worse then bad.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
The_Darkness said:
I... Ouch. Really, ouch.

You mean the Force was sleeping throughout the previous movies? If so, it can do some pretty impressive stuff in its sleep...
If you were paying attention during the original trilogy, and at the end of the prequels, there were extremely few Jedi left, possibly as few as one by the end of Return of the Jedi. Prior to the prequels, there were many Jedi throughout the Galaxy.

So the re-emergence of the Jedi (and Sith?) in larger numbers is probably the sort of awakening they mean

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
hermes200 said:
Brian Tams said:
The thing that irritates me about the title is how non-specific and generic it is.

Like, the previous movies (all 6 of 'em) had names that were more or less specific, with the least specific being Episode IV: A New Hope.

The Phantom Menace
The Empire Strikes Back
The Revenge of the Sith
The Return of the Jedi

The above titles would at least give me some idea about what the movie was about, or at least the tone it was going for.

But this? I have no idea. Which leads me to believe that JJ is doing his fucking myster box mumbo-jumbo shit again.
We still have no idea about the plot of the new movie.

If I have to guess (and this is only a guess based on the title), there is going to be an event that will awake the force in hundreds or thousands of people in the universe, and the heroes are going to race against the clock to identify and recruit the new jedis before a new threat (maybe a new sith lord) beats them to it and creates an army of dark force users...

Something similar to the third season of Legend of Korra.
Or the X-Men. In all likelihood, one of the people recruiting the new force users will be a charismatic, yet scary individual with a cloak and helmet. "Join us, my force users, in our brotherhood of evil....errr dark force users!"

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
There are 2 facts.

One: after throwing out the expanded universe there was absolutely zero chance that anything they did was going to make fans happy. They should just accept this and be a little quiet rather than being what ever JJ's strange form of screaming quiet is.

Two: No one asked for them to ban CGI use in the film, just to not get ridiculous with it. In regards to effects, episode one wasn't bad because it had too much CG, it was bad because they relied so much on CG that it practically became a cartoon. Goofy animations and over the top use of CG sets made the film seem even more dated than the original. I think their insistence that them just throwing out the book on CGI is silly. Just be sensible with it.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Works for me. Nothing great like the force unleashed but easily better than many of the subtitles we've had in the past. Let's be realistic here...the subtitles have NEVER been great with this franchise.

- Star Wars: A new hope. I'm not about to claim that this was some kind of glorious thought provoking captivating title that made me want to watch that movie. A new hope tells me nothing as the first film in this franchise. It works better following episode 3 but that's not the order the movies were released.

- The Empire Strikes Back is pretty generic especially how weak they are made to look after episode 4.
- Return of the Jedi was actually a pretty compelling name for anyone whose seen the prior films. That one is a win.

- The Phantom Menace...really? Easily the worst title of the bunch. Sets a tone of being a movie for kids/young adults so I guess that works.

- Attack of the Clones...another solid title as it invokes a level of interest all on it's own. Too bad it's attached to what is by far the worst of all six episodes.

- Revenge of the Sith. See Empire strikes back. Somewhat generic but worded in a way that makes it a little more intriguing.

The moral of the subtitles? If it sounds pretty awesome then the movie won't be.

The Force Awakens implies to me that it's being passed on to others and growing from it's collapsed state at the end of Episode 6. It implies that both jedi and sith are in a state of resurgence after a period of obscurity. In other words...the dust has settled, peace has ended, things are about to get interesting.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Anyone else sad to see that the Force will supposedly feature heavily in this film? Looking back, I really preferred Luke when he fought with a blaster and an X-Wing.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Excuse me, Mister Abrams, but the last Star Wars projects that had titles beginning with "The Force" were a half-decent hack-and-slash and its BAD sequel. Everyone's nervous enough about how this movie will turn out with you at the helm as it is.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
The Phantom Menace had the best title of the bunch - it's a tough one to beat. "The Force Awakens" does not pull it off. Like, what the hell does it even mean?

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Fox12 said:
You see, I would have gone with a new new hope.

Or an even NEWER hope.

Or how Leigha got her groove back.

Hell, you can call it yoda's guide to genital warts, just change the tital. I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand we have no CGI, which is good. On the other hand we have Disney and JJ Abrams.... Which is slightly worse then bad.
Tell me how having Disney involved is worse than bad? J.J i can see why people hate him, But Disney? The fuck have they done?

They have done wonders for Marvel, hell they practically allow Marvel to do whatever the fuck they want and give them the funding to do it. Why can't this be the same for Starwars? J.J may not be the best but with the money Disney will be throwing at him, (and probably keeping him on a leash, a long leash, but enough to give him a pull back if he gets ahead of himself) it would be pretty hard to fuck this up, more so than Lucas did anyway

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Sounds fine to me. The Force Awakens gives the feeling of a new beginning and the start of a new chapter while giving a nod to the previous stories.

While I think "The Ancient Fear" would have been a much better name by itself, when standing next to the other titles in the series it brings to mind The Phantom Menace more than A New Hope...and if I were signing the paychecks distancing the project from the prequels would be rule #1 for any marketing.