Star Wars: Episode VII Title Leaked

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Star Wars: Episode VII Title Leaked

Unnamed sources have revealed that a potential working title for Star Wars: Episode VII could have close ties to Max von Sydow's character.

While Star Wars as a series is pretty well entrenched in its episodic structure at this point, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find many people who would answer a question like "what's your favorite Star Wars movie" with "Episode V." Most people would just say The Empire Strikes Back without a second thought. That said, up until now franchise fans haven't had much choice but to call Episode VII by any other name than its number. If recent reports can be believed however, that may no longer be the case.

According to an <a href=http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67205>unnamed source, J.J. Abrams' Episode VII will wear the subtitle The Ancient Fear. This same source also reported that this title will refer "to Max von Sydow's villain who makes <a href=http://horror.wikia.com/wiki/Pazuzu>Pazuzu look like a pussy." Von Sydow was, of course, one of the actors confirmed by Disney and Lucasfilm to be <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134104-Star-Wars-Episode-VII-Cast-Announced>participating in the film.

It should be noted, of course, that none of this has been even remotely confirmed by Abrams, Disney, Lucasfilm or any sort of official announcement. That being the case, the anonymous source behind the current reports apparently also leaked that the movie would be shooting in Abu Dhabi prior to Disney's <a href=http://www.thenational.ae/arts-culture/film/ask-the-experts-star-wars-fans-give-their-theories-on-abu-dhabi-filming>eventual confirmation. That in mind, we'll be eager to see if this rumor winds up being true. In the mean time, what do you think of The Ancient Fear and, perhaps more importantly, the prospect of Max von Sydow playing its chief baddie? Considering Sydow's experience and gravitas as an actor, I personally think they could do a heck of a lot worse.

Source: <a href=http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67205>Ain't It Cool News

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
So basically, this is Abrams' mystery box bullshit "leaking" information in order to build anticipation.

So exciting.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Ancient Fear? Well I mean, okay. Doesn't feel Star Wars-y but I've been out of the loop for quite a while as far as star wars is concerned.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
If it's Darth Nihilus all is forgiven JJ but it won't be cause it's JJ

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
As titles, go, it reminds me of The Phantom Menace. Fear...Menace.

Actually, I know we don't have a film to actually place it alongside yet, but I like the sound of The Phantom Menace more. This is Star Wars we're talking about, so it seems to fit more, whereas The Ancient Fear seems almost generic and...underdone, I suppose.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
Would that be a bad title? No. Just very bland. But that's corporate moviemaking for you.

Also, this conversation:

"Hey, you got your tickets for 'The Ancient Fear'?"

"What the hell is that?"

"The new Star Wars movie. Duh!"

"Well why didn't you just say so, asshole? You're like one of those pricks who insists on calling the first movie 'A New Hope.'"

"Well, technically the first movie is called 'The Phantom Menace'..."

"God DAMN it!"

"But setting that aside--setting that aside--the movie you're referring to is called 'A New Hope.'"

"Bull shit."

"It is! Why, what do you call it?"

"I call it Star Wars, ************."

. . .

Annnnd scene.

--Morology!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
KaZuYa said:
Nihilus doesn't talk in any language we understand. Seems like it would be a waste of Max's talents.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The new title doesn't wow me, I have to admit. Very generic in this time and age I feel. And I hate it when we have to drag something out of the past and into present time in order to make a villain. Because, for some reason, villains from the past are always super strong and have powers that no one in the present has any idea of how to combat or even how to use them.

Still, it could be much worse, so there's that...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Well it might not be great but it sure beats 'Star Wars Episode VII: JJ's Mystery Box'

Captcha has already chosen a great name for the sequel. Star Wars Episode VIII: Four By Two

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I need an old Jedi, and a young Jedi.

As for the title, well that's... something. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. It's just kind of there.

Of course just because it's using that as a working title doesn't mean that that will be the title. The original Star Wars (New Hope) used "The Blue Harvest" as a working title if memory serves, and that never got used on anything other than production materials. So it could just be a case similar to that.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Ancient Fear sure is fitting, seeing as Max von Sydof is eighty-five-damn-years-old-now. Seriously, I know he can act, but he is eighty-five..What kind of role will he be doing? If action is required, then stunt-doubles ahoy.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
I have no strong feelings one way or the other if this does turn out to be the title. For one thing, just how many GOOD titles are there in the Star Wars series?

- The Phantom Menace (meh, whatever)
- Attack of the Clones (Really? REALLY?)
- Revenge of the Sith (A bit obvious but not a bad title)
- Star Wars / A New Hope (In the case of the former, clearly awesome, in the latter, probably the least goofy sounding one)
- The Empire Strikes Back (the 2nd goofiest behind "Attack of the Clones")
- Return of the Jedi (Probably the best sounding one)

If VII ends up being "The Ancient Fear" it'll probably slot in well enough with Phantom and Clones on the meh-to-goofy scale. The more I think about it though, it does sound an awful lot like the title of a fan film... which isn't all that inappropriate given that JJ Abrams is supposedly a massive Star Wars fan (more so than Star Trek, ironically).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kuchinawa212 said:
Ancient Fear? Well I mean, okay. Doesn't feel Star Wars-y but I've been out of the loop for quite a while as far as star wars is concerned.
Doesn't seem any worse than "The Phantom Menace."

But that's the best I can say.

It's a B-Movie title for a B-Movie in a line of B-Movies. This one's a little more generic, but eh.

Realitycrash said:
Ancient Fear sure is fitting, seeing as Max von Sydof is eighty-five-damn-years-old-now. Seriously, I know he can act, but he is eighty-five..What kind of role will he be doing? If action is required, then stunt-doubles ahoy.
Or CG.

He could be all Yoda.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Oh man is THIS classic Abrams.

"The Ancient Fear". "Star Trek: Into Darkness". Picking a title because it sounds cool, not because it means anything. And of course it follows the 3 word 1st episode of a trilogy sequence: "The Phantom Menace", "A New Hope" "The Ancient Fear". And yet it still sounds stupid and vacuous. Like everything Abrams did with Star Trek, it doesn't feel like a Star Wars title. I actually thought JJ was a good choice for SW, despite being a terrible one for Trek. Still too early to say. The cast choice was decent enough, at least.

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
ZZoMBiE13 said:
I need an old Jedi, and a young Jedi.

As for the title, well that's... something. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. It's just kind of there.

Of course just because it's using that as a working title doesn't mean that that will be the title. The original Star Wars (New Hope) used "The Blue Harvest" as a working title if memory serves, and that never got used on anything other than production materials. So it could just be a case similar to that.
Small (and pedantic) correction: "Blue Harvest" wasn't the working title for A New Hope. It was a false front used during Return of the Jedi's location shooting to throw press and fans off the scent (there were legit worries in places like Yuma that they'd have gawkers sneaking in and messing up shots).

The working title for A New Hope was actually something like "The Adventures of Luke Starkiller"

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
KaZuYa said:
james.sponge said:
KaZuYa said:
Man that would be cool :D
Consider this: His mask is known to drive people to seek power, and hasn't had a confirmed end to it's existence.

OT: Well shit, this doesn't clear up anything. Could be Nihilus, could be Scaboruos' Sickness, hell, it could even be a reformed Rakattan Fleet for all we know. Consider me curious.

daedalus9973

Mar 16, 2011
Star Wars VII: Revenge of the Lens Flairs. In this story he will re-write the original movie and have Chewbacca and Princess Leia making out in the background. Mark Hamill makes an appearance as elderly Luke Skywalker and tells young Luke Skywalker, played by Justin Beiber or Chris Pine, how Vader, played by Shia Labeouf, is his fathers nephews cousins former roommate.

*sigh*