Star Wars Galaxies Falls In Sarlacc Pit

Nyce1

Jun 25, 2010
I played SWG when it first launched and it rocked. Before WoW hit this game had a serious following with great pvp battles and fun quests. Then that horrid BALANCE came into to play and it was like suddenly a million MMO players cried out OMFG and were suddenly silenced as they shut off their monthly payment plans. I will miss my wookie!

APVarney

Writer and game designer
Aug 15, 2006
My June 2007 Escapist article, "Blowing Up Galaxies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_101/560-Blowing-Up-Galaxies]," describes the "New Game Enhancements" and their catastrophic aftermath.

(See also this Escapist blog post, "Crying Freeman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/8.42942]," about how blame for the entire NGE fell on one hapless underling.)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Mr. Grey said:
canadamus_prime said:
You mean people still play that??? I thought that had died years ago.
BTW, what was this NGE thing? I've never heard of it before. Was it really that bad? ...wait, considering fan's tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'll just assume it wasn't.
Imagine having the ability to be anything you wanted, a cross of Bounty Hunter and Medic or Entertainer and Smuggler, or hell... A tamer and fashion designer. You could do anything and be anything -- except sometimes Jedi, but that made sense. Then imagine that being taken away from you... then seeing Jedi everywhere. Everywhere.
Considering the afor mentioned tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating a wee bit. Although that still does sound rather shitty.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
Mr. Grey said:
canadamus_prime said:
BTW, what was this NGE thing? I've never heard of it before. Was it really that bad? ...wait, considering fan's tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'll just assume it wasn't.
Imagine having the ability to be anything you wanted, a cross of Bounty Hunter and Medic or Entertainer and Smuggler, or hell... A tamer and fashion designer. You could do anything and be anything -- except sometimes Jedi, but that made sense. Then imagine that being taken away from you... then seeing Jedi everywhere. Everywhere.
Considering the afor mentioned tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating a wee bit. Although that still does sound rather shitty.
No, really they fucked the entire game up. That single update, cut their subscriber updates in half, the playerbase never really recovered.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Tom Goldman said:
Come 2012, Star Wars Galaxies will no longer exist.
It was as if a million accounts all cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.

And the Twileks shall dance no more.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Tom Goldman said:
It was as if a million accounts all cried out at once, and were suddenly silenced.
Oh sweet zombie Jesus, trying out for the spot of Hankman?

On topic: And to think I was considering trying this game...

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
WaaghPowa said:
On topic: And to think I was considering trying this game...
Well you still can. The biggest problem with any mmo (in my opinion of course) is that they never end. SOE has graciously removed that hurdle haven't they? But if you're curious about it you may as well have a look before the new game launches eh? That way if people make comparisons to other games you'll know if they're full of hot air or not. In about a year it will be impossible to get any first hand experience.

WaaghPowa said:
Ghengis John said:
Tom Goldman said:
Oh sweet zombie Jesus, trying out for the spot of Hankman?
I wanted to just make that one line the entire post, but the mods have been riding me for "low content posts" as of late so I felt I had to add a little something extra.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Yeah, like this has nothing to do with the release of TOR. Though, I will say this, the games class system was better (at least pre NGP, when I played on my buddies account) than what I am seeing in TOR. I mean, there will be 90% jedi/sith, which actually already has me annoyed, them being the worst characters in the Star Wars Universe. I mean, you actually had to genuinely work to become some kind of Jedi in SWG.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I'm interested in what way the will end it in game? Will there be a huge event we wave after way of Sith just keep rolling in until there is only a few left& then even those brave few finally fall?

-M

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Baresark said:
Yeah, like this has nothing to do with the release of TOR. Though, I will say this, the games class system was better (at least pre NGP, when I played on my buddies account) than what I am seeing in TOR. I mean, there will be 90% jedi/sith, which actually already has me annoyed, them being the worst characters in the Star Wars Universe. I mean, you actually had to genuinely work to become some kind of Jedi in SWG.
I personally think it does....

SWG is old....shut that shit down and lets roll out TOR and rake in some fresh cash!

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
It was a total restructuring of the skill system within the game. It was implimented with the skill of a monkey with a pointy stick attempting brain surgery. Yes people still play it .. but the large majority of them are in Asia. And I can't agree with the OP that Old Republic will replace Galaxies ... nothing can do that.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Used to play that game pre-NGE. After suffering with the update for a bit, I eventually said "Fuck this" and started playing WoW (though I've sworn off MMOs for good now). I really can't believe that the majority of the game's run has been after it was ruined.

And I seriously doubt that the free time in other SOE MMOs is a "fan appreciation bonus.". It seems more like an extended free trial so that they can try to keep SWG players ensnared in one of their other games. Cheeky.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
canadamus_prime said:
Mr. Grey said:
canadamus_prime said:
No, really they fucked the entire game up. That single update, cut their subscriber updates in half, the playerbase never really recovered.
Said subscribers consisting primarily of the afor mentioned fans which blow things waaaaaaay out of proportion. Not at all surprised.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
I don't care what others say, I played the game for many years and loved it. Was it amazing? Sure as hell not. Was it fun? Yes, yes indeed. I haven't played it in a year now since all my friends on it moved to DDO, and then we slowly left that and are just waiting for TOR. The game wasn't perfect, it made a lot of mistakes (loljedis), but it does not deserve all this hatred.

Even then, half of those who hate it haven't even played it and just want to bash it for the same fact of bashing it, or heard some grumpy old Star Wars player with his Han Solo doll screaming at the top of his Darth Vader voice lungs how much he hates it (Stereotypes against fellow nerds that are the same as me for the win!) because everyone can be whatever they feel like being in the game.

I wonder how the thing will pass, and how much e-rage will be generated on the fools that spent countless USD on that new trading card feature (Fun game for boredom, having to pay for extra packs is NOT fun, though).

As always, flame shields are ready. However, this time I will simply just cloak with my Spy and laugh away as I exit this PvP ground that will ensure towards me after this comment.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Galaxies ended quite a while ago. They're just now getting around to the funeral.

Really, if anyone's curious about the game and what happened to it, just watch Gametrailer's retrospective on it [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-viii-star-wars/38466]. It's a good watch.

rason

Jul 22, 2009
the people that are rejoicing this are offensive in their ignorance. there is still a large population of people playing SWG, and it recieves regular updates that are very well recieved. SWToR is nothing like SWG and yet they are still closing it down to try and force us to play it. It is the GCW era that I, and others who still play SWG, care about. We have no interest in the time period of SWTOR, and worse, it's version of space is just a minigame. The SWG space simulator is higher quality than Black Prophecy or any other flight sim currently coming out.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
AlternatePFG said:
canadamus_prime said:
Mr. Grey said:
canadamus_prime said:
Said subscribers consisting primarily of the afor mentioned fans which blow things waaaaaaay out of proportion. Not at all surprised.
So then, what you're saying is that only someone who never liked the game to begin with can be trusted to offer a neutral and factual view on the matter? Yep, that makes sense. Because someone who never cared for it totally wouldn't downplay an important event such as the NGE for lack of caring, right? Yeah, great logic right there.