Star Wars Galaxies Falls In Sarlacc Pit

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
AlternatePFG said:
canadamus_prime said:
Mr. Grey said:
canadamus_prime said:
You mean people still play that??? I thought that had died years ago.
BTW, what was this NGE thing? I've never heard of it before. Was it really that bad? ...wait, considering fan's tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'll just assume it wasn't.
Imagine having the ability to be anything you wanted, a cross of Bounty Hunter and Medic or Entertainer and Smuggler, or hell... A tamer and fashion designer. You could do anything and be anything -- except sometimes Jedi, but that made sense. Then imagine that being taken away from you... then seeing Jedi everywhere. Everywhere.
Considering the afor mentioned tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating a wee bit. Although that still does sound rather shitty.
No, really they fucked the entire game up. That single update, cut their subscriber updates in half, the playerbase never really recovered.
Said subscribers consisting primarily of the afor mentioned fans which blow things waaaaaaay out of proportion. Not at all surprised.
Really? Even though people explain what went wrong (and they hardly scratched the surface) you refuse to trust them because they must be blowing it out of proportion? That's ridiculous manufactured cynicism. There's a reason the NGE is still such a huge deal, you can't just blindly throw out the fanboy label and call it a day.

Like people already said, a big part was taking a very open skill system and changing it into a restricted class system that didn't fit with the rest of the game. SWG was a sandbox game, and the NGE was an attempt to make it more similar to theme park MMORPGs without any thought to how the pieces would fit together.

Here's a minor example of something that'll let you see what mindset the devs were in. SWG had no physics to speak of, yet with the NGE they made the space bar the jump button. Having no physics, the most they could do in this situation was literally bind the /jump emote to the space bar, with emote flavor text and everything. Extrapolate from that and imagine how these were the devs designing the entire NGE with that mindset. It was a ridiculously sloppy and desperate attempt to follow WoW using a game whose infrastructure simply wasn't designed for that to be possible.

Can you name a single game update that so dramatically altered the game in such a negative way? I'm guessing they're rare, because I can't think of one worse than the NGE.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
I am still angry at that stupid NGE. SWG was so incredibly unique. You could build cities, entertain at cantinas, fly in spaceships, hunt down Jedis, fly across the landscape in speeders. There was so much to do and so much fun to be had. It was glitchy at times, sure. But the process of becoming a Jedi was absolutely brilliant, involving a lot of work and training, AS IT SHOULD BE. You could wake up one day and say, "Hey, let's drop the Commando class and become a cook" or fly into deep space with a Millennium Falcon. RIP Star Wars Galaxies :(.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Trogdor1138 said:
This obviously has nothing to do with the fact that TOR is coming out >_> Smooth guys.
Lt. Vinciti said:
Baresark said:
Yeah, like this has nothing to do with the release of TOR. Though, I will say this, the games class system was better (at least pre NGP, when I played on my buddies account) than what I am seeing in TOR. I mean, there will be 90% jedi/sith, which actually already has me annoyed, them being the worst characters in the Star Wars Universe. I mean, you actually had to genuinely work to become some kind of Jedi in SWG.
I personally think it does....

SWG is old....shut that shit down and lets roll out TOR and rake in some fresh cash!
Baresark said:
Yeah, like this has nothing to do with the release of TOR.
Apparently their license to use the brand runs out in 2012 and they don't feel its worth renewing.

OT: I honestly thought it had died about 3 years ago.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Azmael Silverlance said:
8 years is still a very long time for a MMO. But im kind of confused.....im pretty sure WoW came before galaxies X_X
It did, people are either too young or forget that WoW was not the first MMO and that it ''borrows'' many good elements from other MMOs before it.

That said Ill miss swg when its gone it was not a perfect game and had many flaws but it was FUN. Can't ask for more than that really. Plus the community was amazing.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
SWG seems to be a textbook case on what to avoid when building an MMO or expansion.

The delays in getting the game out, announcing an expansion before the game is even available to players, setting the game in a time period already flooded with too many characters and information, then not having much content at launch which thankfully the players generated on their own, not smoothing out the glitches after years of being in operations, trying to change the game with the NGE to compete with WoW when the original player based loved the sandbox structure of the game, allowing force sensitive characters to do as they pleased with no consequences, and now simply shutting down the game.

LucasArts and GL keeping it classy, and keeping their bank accounts well padded.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hobonicus said:
canadamus_prime said:
AlternatePFG said:
canadamus_prime said:
Mr. Grey said:
canadamus_prime said:
BTW, what was this NGE thing? I've never heard of it before. Was it really that bad? ...wait, considering fan's tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'll just assume it wasn't.
Imagine having the ability to be anything you wanted, a cross of Bounty Hunter and Medic or Entertainer and Smuggler, or hell... A tamer and fashion designer. You could do anything and be anything -- except sometimes Jedi, but that made sense. Then imagine that being taken away from you... then seeing Jedi everywhere. Everywhere.
Considering the afor mentioned tendency to blow things waaaaaaaaay out of proportion, I'm going to assume you're exaggerating a wee bit. Although that still does sound rather shitty.
No, really they fucked the entire game up. That single update, cut their subscriber updates in half, the playerbase never really recovered.
Said subscribers consisting primarily of the afor mentioned fans which blow things waaaaaaay out of proportion. Not at all surprised.
Really? Even though people explain what went wrong (and they hardly scratched the surface) you refuse to trust them because they must be blowing it out of proportion? That's ridiculous manufactured cynicism. There's a reason the NGE is still such a huge deal, you can't just blindly throw out the fanboy label and call it a day.

Like people already said, a big part was taking a very open skill system and changing it into a restricted class system that didn't fit with the rest of the game. SWG was a sandbox game, and the NGE was an attempt to make it more similar to theme park MMORPGs without any thought to how the pieces would fit together.

Here's a minor example of something that'll let you see what mindset the devs were in. SWG had no physics to speak of, yet with the NGE they made the space bar the jump button. Having no physics, the most they could do in this situation was literally bind the /jump emote to the space bar, with emote flavor text and everything. Extrapolate from that and imagine how these were the devs designing the entire NGE with that mindset. It was a ridiculously sloppy and desperate attempt to follow WoW using a game whose infrastructure simply wasn't designed for that to be possible.

Can you name a single game update that so dramatically altered the game in such a negative way? I'm guessing they're rare, because I can't think of one worse than the NGE.
Gasaraki said:
So then, what you're saying is that only someone who never liked the game to begin with can be trusted to offer a neutral and factual view on the matter? Yep, that makes sense. Because someone who never cared for it totally wouldn't downplay an important event such as the NGE for lack of caring, right? Yeah, great logic right there.
Yeah ok, that does sounds like the absolute worst idea ever. But in an age when the average fandom reacts to something as simple as changing a character's outfit from red to orange as if it's the END OF THE FUCKING WORLD, you'll have to forgive my skepticism.

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Lagao said:
All of you still complaining about the NGE really need to grow up.
That game sucked back then, it had no content what so ever. And you are still complaining about it after 6 years? Have you even tried the new swg? It was a lot of fun with tons of new content that you could do.

The NGE was the best thing to happen to swg.
I picked up the game shortly after launch, and cancelled my subscription around the time Jump to Lightspeed came out (hardware wasn't cutting, and therefore undermining enjoyment). A few years ago, I picked up one of Lucasarts' "Best Of" PC game sets, which included a free fourteen day trial. I'd missed the game, so I installed it and fired it up.

And. It. SUCKED.

If you seriously believe NGE was the best thing to happen to SWG, I have serious reason to question your taste. It streamlined the game to the point of ridiculousness. Instead of living in the Star Wars universe, the game became your average MMO with a coat of "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" paint. There's no point in even trying to detail it. At launch, Galaxies said, "Here's a galaxy you guys love. Go make your way in it." After NGE, it became a simple case of "Do quests, loot, repeat". it was all about instant gratification.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I loved SWG because it was the only game that was different from the standard DaoC and later WoW formula.
Too bad that didn't work out long-term. Back to formula it is.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I've laid down my opinion on SWG many times since November of 2005. Was actually on a developers panel this summer with a former member of the SOE SWG team who had a lot to say about it. Taught me a lot, really, looking at it from a gamers perspective in 2005, then looking at it from a developers perspective in 2011.

Can't say it looks any better with what I know now, as compared to what I knew then.

As a developer I have to say the most concerning thing in the loss of SWG is the loss of the only structured sandbox MMO game left on the market.

Everything else has switched to the quest led dynamic, whats more players have literally come to expect that in MMO's now and if an MMO doesn't hold their hand and lead them from level 1 to level 9000 with a quest for every minute, the game is somehow at fault.

I'm pretty sure the next "big thing" in MMO technology is going to be an MMO that plays itself for you, so you can just sit there and eat your favorite snack and cheer at the sparkly graphics and live vicariously without having to even lift a finger. It really seems to be the way the industry is going.

One can talk all day about the blunders SOE made with SWG and what not, but, in the end, the money swings behind what the market is demanding, and obviously the market is demanding MMO's that don't require much thought.

So regardless of contracts and corporate thievery and John Smedley being a gigantic tool, SWG would have never survived WoW in the long term anyways, because the MMO genre hasn't survived WoW.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
I still play on occasion.

NGE pretty much took away everything that made SWG amazing. for instance, it used to take MONTHS to be a jedi and jedi were rare and powerful. NGE came out, storytelling turned sour, everyone was a jedi, and the vast majority of players left. it was bad. There's still fun to be had, but yes, it's pretty much dead now.