Star Wars Galaxies Players Start Petition to Stop Closure

ssManae

Aug 13, 2009
deth2munkies said:
Better yet, tell them to support the EMU communities and give them their damn code that they "lost" so we can have our pre-CU servers.
You know, in a way, it's strangely fitting, though, isn't it?

Fans: "We don't like the enhanced Star Wars! Give us back the original version!"
Lucas: "I can't... I sorta drew on it..."

Fans: "Give the source code to the EMU projects so they can let us play your now-dead game!"
SOE: "We can't... we sorta deleted it all..."

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
StriderShinryu said:
Krantos said:
In the end, this is the problem I have with MMOs. A serious player has paid hundreds of dollars in subscription costs, and now? They'll have nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Not a single bit of content will be available to these people once the servers close.

I just can't justify spending that much money when I know I will have nothing in the end.
That's not really any different than with any other game though. It may be a bigger investment all focused on a single title but, other than memories, do you really have any permanent lasting reward from, say, Super Mario?
But you still own the physical title Super Mario, so if you ever wanted to you could re-experience the game, unlike if a MMO gets shutdown you can no longer play that title again.... EVER.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Flying Dagger said:
Krantos said:
In the end, this is the problem I have with MMOs. A serious player has paid hundreds of dollars in subscription costs, and now? They'll have nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Not a single bit of content will be available to these people once the servers close.

I just can't justify spending that much money when I know I will have nothing in the end.
Do you feel the same way about steam?
Well even if the steam service shutdown people still have all the games on their physical hard drive so you'd still be able to play them. I'm sure that steam would release fixes for the games so they no longer require steam, or you could play offline and use Hamachi or such for multiplayer.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
StriderShinryu said:
Krantos said:
That's not really any different than with any other game though. It may be a bigger investment all focused on a single title but, other than memories, do you really have any permanent lasting reward from, say, Super Mario?
I can still play it. I still have the physical property. Also the difference in cost between the two is astronomical.
Flying Dagger said:
Krantos said:
Do you feel the same way about steam?
To a degree. I never buy full priced titles on steam. I only use it for the sales. However, the fundamental difference is that most games I have on Steam can be played Offline. So if and when the system does go down, I'll still have at least three quarters of my library.

The way I see is this. If I pay a monthly subscription, I'm required to keep paying it if I want my content. If I stop at any time, I am unable to access anything until I start paying again. Then, after the game has run it's course and died, I never have the access, regardless of how much I've paid. In the end you end up paying 10x as much for content you'll never be able to see again. At that point I'd rather just buy a traditional game and keep it forever.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
deth2munkies said:
Better yet, tell them to support the EMU communities and give them their damn code that they "lost" so we can have our pre-CU servers.
THIS.
Although the EMU thing has been dragging for years, there's not much motivation behind it anymore. SOE releasing code would certainly be a nice jump start for it though.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I doubt this will work, it's prolly a licening issue more then anything. SoE doesn't own the rights to starwars but leases it, and since TOR is coming out soon, L.A. may not have renewed the rights to use the Star Wars brand to Sony. Or Sony doesn't want to PAY for that right in a F2P model of bussiness, as it prolly wouldn't generate enough revinue to make it profitable.

Which is, sadly, the name of the game. I played about 2-3 years of SWG. 2 right up frount, before the MASSIVE nerfing/redesign. And one and off for about a years worth of time after that. (played a few months about a year ago for a starwars fix... totally different game.) It was fun. At the start, I was a rifleman/creaturehunter... crawling into a rancor nest was... epic. Then the creature handler litilerly got nerfed out of existince.... not as much fun after that, though i do have to say, the 2 or 3 months i took a year back to play and level a jedi was FUN... just... well... i was despised for being one of *them* jedi... the servers were dead... and thus the higer end group content was unplayable... only so many nigh sister i could kill looking for "phat loot". *shrug*

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Woodsey said:
On a side-note: if TOR is F2P I will be fucking pissed.
Why? That is one of the payment models, besides P2P or microtransactions, that is available to Bioware. Let them decide what they want to do.

Aug 4, 2010
Really? I'm a little sad to hear SWG is closing down. I played from 03 til the NGE from 05, it was my first MMO and the one I had the most fun playing. It was buggy and there was dearth of content, but the sandbox elements were a joy as was the community. After the NGE, the community was gone and the game became a shitty version of the standard MMO X. I resubbed a few times for a couple months, but it was never the same. I think the fans should recognize its time to let it die as that is what has been decided, they can still play with their online friends in other games. If we learned anything from the LA/SOE partnership, it should be that they will do what they want irrespective of the players' wishes.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Reyalsfeihc said:
StriderShinryu said:
Krantos said:

But you still own the physical title Super Mario, so if you ever wanted to you could re-experience the game, unlike if a MMO gets shutdown you can no longer play that title again.... EVER.
You can play it as long as you have the required hardware to play it. In the case of an MMO, once it shuts down you no longer have the required hardware. It may not come in the same form, but the connection aspect of MMOs is always something understood to be needed. In fact, it says just that in the EULA and account creation process of pretty much every, if not every, MMO.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
Quaxar said:
You mean ... all five of them? *gasp*

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
Why would they still want to play Galaxies when they could play Old Republic in a short time?
Galaxies and UO are the only real big sandbox MMOs left. KOTOR will be a WoW clone. You level - get equipment - but you aren't given a sandbox to play in.

There are a few of us out there that long for the old school MMO where you exist in a world. Instead since WoW all we get are equipment/achievement/level grind games.

NGE ruined SWG. But even in it's current state SWG still had an open world where you could be your own character living in a Star Wars universe. The new one coming out you get to play a character basically from the movies and follow the treadmill.

Sad really. But perhaps in the current gaming environment of Call of Duty 15 and kids wanting that instant fix me and others like me need to move on.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
No amount of petitioning will bring it back; Lucas-Arts cannot afford to maintain a conflict of interests if they want their cut of TOR to mean something.

The old Star Wars MMO is going to die and nothing will stop that now.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
WHy keep the old game rnning while the players can just transition into the new and better one.
I dont think SW fans are so rich that they can afford to play the 2 of them at the same time. And that also would make it hard for them to progress.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
people still play star wars galaxies and care about it enough to start a petition? wow.

speaking of wow, im not so sure wow is the huge giant it used to be. in my experience, a lot of wow players have moved over to rift. the fact that the fanbase is now split, could mean that other mmos actually stand a chance now

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Haha, it's still around?? I played it, waiting for the moment "force sensitives" would be implimented like everyone else, thinking it was going to be some mysterious selection of players on each server, and a lot thought they'd be selected if they roleplayed so there was no "txt speak" or a lot of griefing or crowds shouting stupid shit in the chat window.

Then they announced that people would become force sensitive if they collected 3 holocrons and did a grind of mastering the profession each one told them. That's when the first mass exodus happened and after a year of playing and waiting I was too pissed to continue and canceled along with many thousands of others.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Quaxar said:
You mean ... all five of them? *gasp*

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.
Why would they still want to play Galaxies when they could play Old Republic in a short time?
Cause they already tried WoW and didn't like it.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Unfortunately, SOE's carecup is empty.. unless they will make it as a PR stunt after their online services being hit..

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PrinceofPersia said:
Woodsey said:
On a side-note: if TOR is F2P I will be fucking pissed.
Why? That is one of the payment models, besides P2P or microtransactions, that is available to Bioware. Let them decide what they want to do.
I... what? I know its one of the payment options available to them, and I will be pissed if they use it. Its a pain in the arse that usually results in you spending more than you would on a normal sub.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Hell I might actually start playing it again if they made it free to play...<.<

iamzombie

Dec 24, 2008
I find it laughable that a pretty significant number of the signatures are duplicates, most from people who can't even be bothered to try and hide the fact they're artificially inflating the numbers. But of course, that shouldn't surprise me when the petition sponsor has the following blurb in the 'petition blog'

"I urge everyone that signs this petition to also share it with anyone and everyone that you think might sign it, whether they play Star Wars Galaxies or not."

Yeah, prove that the player base really wants the game to stick around by getting people who have never spent a nickel on SWG to sign your petition.