Star Wars not nominated for best picture of the year.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
By all accounts, once you remove the nerdgasming, it's a fine film that is not by any stretch "the best of the year". Oh well, I'm sure the producers can dry their tears from not getting nominated with their spare million-dollar bills.

Pluvia said:
Also apparently Matt Damon is nominated for Best Actor with The Martian, what the hell, he basically walked through that movie barely trying.
inb4 Matt Damon gets Leo's Oscar

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Why... Why does anyone question these sorts of things?

It's an award show put on by an industry that is basically a giant egotistical circle jerk and allow them to dilude themselves into thinking the movie business is about making art when all it is making money like anything else. That's what is, that's all it's ever been, winning an Oscar really shouldn't matter to anyone that's not in the film industry.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Ok? Wouldn't it be easier to tell us what movies where nominated? I mean if you gave us that list it might help us infer what other movies where not nominated. That was basically my ass hole way of saying " didn't expect it to."

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
SNCommand said:
I agree with the academy awards, The Force Awakens is not close to being among the best pictures of the year, and if we were to start handing awards based on audience enjoyment then Michael Bay would be rolling in oscar statuettes
And yet Avatar was nominated when it really didn't deserve it and I'd put both films in the same category of flashy entertainment with no substance. And Cameron was nominated and also didn't particularly earn it. I mean, I always just assumed the most successful films got token nominations to recognise that accomplishment but the actual rewards go to the oscar bait movies.

Dazzle Novak

Sep 28, 2015
All I ever think back to when I hear "Academy Awards" is that maudlin horseshit Crash winning for Best Picture in 2006 and I suddenly stop caring.

The idea that The Force Awakens isn't being given its due is laughable, however.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eddie the head said:
Ok? Wouldn't it be easier to tell us what movies where nominated? I mean if you gave us that list it might help us infer what other movies where not nominated. That was basically my ass hole way of saying " didn't expect it to."
An excellent question. Let's look. And the nominees for Best Picture are...The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, the Revenant, Room (not to be confused with The Room starring Tommy Wiseau), and Spotlight.

Incidentally, The Force Awakens has been nominated for Best Original Score, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, Best Film Editing, and Best Visual Effects.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
The Oscars have never been 100% or anywhere near that in terms of actually nominating what the public thinks is a good movie (Citizen Kane, The Social Network) and instead has it's own in-house bias to decide what should be awarded. That's why the King's Speech won, even though you ask anybody and they will more often remember the Social Network more. While a lot of people will argue that Star Wars is not the best movie or doesn't deserve it, you should remember the Academy is not and never will be the final word on what is good or not.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
lacktheknack said:
By all accounts, once you remove the nerdgasming, it's a fine film that is not by any stretch "the best of the year". Oh well, I'm sure the producers can dry their tears from not getting nominated with their spare million-dollar bills.

Pluvia said:
Also apparently Matt Damon is nominated for Best Actor with The Martian, what the hell, he basically walked through that movie barely trying.
inb4 Matt Damon gets Leo's Oscar
There'd be a riot, and hopefully a Leo v Damon brawl. I'm hoping to see some marionette wire fighting.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If LOTR: Return of The King can get nominated and win best picture so should The Force Awakens. Even if it doesn't win it still deserves to be nominated for how well it has done.

The Oscars bore me. They almost always go for the most shallow Oscar baity types of films.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't think it deserved a nomination. To be honest, I don't know if I'd give any of the Star Wars movies best picture nods. They're fun popcorn flicks, but they don't really stay with you after IMO.

I'm much more annoyed that Ex Machina was snubbed.
Bat Vader said:
The Oscars bore me. They almost always go for the most shallow Oscar baity types of films.
How on Earth is Mad Max a baity film? I agree that the wins/nominations often go to run of the mill period dramas, but even then, I don't see how they're shallow. This honestly sounds like one of those arguments people make when they simply don't like something and want their opinion to sound more weighty. Can you explain why they're shallow and Star Wars isn't?

Edit: not saying that the Oscars should even be taken as some kind of measure of a film's worth. We've already seen that the voters don't even watch all the movies and often just vote on things because they think they should.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
SaneAmongInsane said:
Why... Why does anyone question these sorts of things?

It's an award show put on by an industry that is basically a giant egotistical circle jerk and allow them to delude themselves into thinking the movie business is about making art when all it is making money like anything else. That's what is, that's all it's ever been, winning an Oscar really shouldn't matter to anyone that's not in the film industry.
Agreed. Even when it used to be a little fun to watch back in the 90's, it was still a massive wank fest. Now I just see it as something similar to Big Brother. And by the standards today I'd definitely nominate TFA.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
Well, The Force Awakens was a pretty damn good Star Wars movie. But that's just what it was, a Star Wars movie and on that level it succeeded quite well, but it's not really best picture material. It's really cool and a little surprising that Fury Road was nominated. I know it has almost no chance of winning but it'd be great if Miller won Best Director. That whole movie was beautifully shot with an amazing amount of creativity.

Honestly though, I ,like many here, have lost almost any faith in the Oscars as a legitimate measure of merit in film. For starters.
Glongpre said:
The awards have been a joke for me ever since Shakespeare in Love won best picture over Saving Private Ryan. I mean what the hell.
Yup, that's what killed it for me too. Seriously, that film spent the entire summer making every other World War II movie look like a high school play. Almost every critic predicted Saving Private Ryan would walk off with Best Picture, no contest. But then Miramax, who is infamous for this kind of shit, pulled some serious publicity maneuvers to get their sappy picture the award instead. Being able to practically buy an award takes away almost any prestige it once had.
RJ 17 said:
Personally I think they should add a new category to the Oscars in order to trap Oscar Bait movies. The category would simply be Oscar Bait, and the winner would be the "Oscar Baitiest" movie of the year. :p
I highly approve of this. "And the award for Most Pretentious Douchebags goes to..." I bet you could convince the Razzies to do this. That'd be awesome.
Yeah, that's about right.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
TheMann said:
Well, The Force Awakens was a pretty damn good Star Wars movie. But that's just what it was, a Star Wars movie and on that level it succeeded quite well, but it's not really best picture material. It's really cool and a little surprising that Fury Road was nominated. I know it has almost no chance of winning but it'd be great if Miller won Best Director. That whole movie was beautifully shot with an amazing amount of creativity.

Honestly though, I ,like many here, have lost almost any faith in the Oscars as a legitimate measure of merit in film. For starters.
Glongpre said:
The awards have been a joke for me ever since Shakespeare in Love won best picture over Saving Private Ryan. I mean what the hell.
Yup, that's what killed it for me too. Seriously, that film spent the entire summer making every other World War II movie look like a high school play. Almost every critic predicted Saving Private Ryan would walk off with Best Picture, no contest. But then Miramax, who is infamous for this kind of shit, pulled some serious publicity maneuvers to get their sappy picture the award instead. Being able to practically buy an award takes away almost any prestige it once had.
RJ 17 said:
Personally I think they should add a new category to the Oscars in order to trap Oscar Bait movies. The category would simply be Oscar Bait, and the winner would be the "Oscar Baitiest" movie of the year. :p
I highly approve of this. "And the award for Most Pretentious Douchebags goes to..." I bet you could convince the Razzies to do this. That'd be awesome.
Yeah, that's about right.
What killed the oscars for me is the simple fact that most voters haven't watched all the films, and their opinions are typically bought and paid for. There's no prestige or thought put into the proceedings at all. The simple fact is that all of the social grace is a facade. A real, challenging film has about as much chance of winning as Transformers.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season-focus/proof-that-oscar-voters-are-clueless-about-animation-109456.html

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Two-Oscar-Voters-Admit-They-Didn-t-Watch-12-Years-Slave-Voted-It-Anyway-41981.html

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
I liked the film personally, but it is in no way good enough to be nominated for best picture: the plot just isn't good enough and it just plays it too safe; it's a standard action/sci-fi movie that manages to get by because Star Wars and because it was a fun movie (fun, not great). If the awards were to be based on audience enjoyment, then we'd see stuff like Transformers receiving best picture nominations. I know the Academy Award council are complete bellends, but I would at least admire that they choose things on "artistic" merit and not financial success, that's what the grammys are for (*sigh*)

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
It wasn't the best picture of the year and while it was a good movie it shouldn't even be in the running. Especially considering the types of films that tend to win that anyway.

I do not think The Force Awakens deserved to be nominated for that award. I really enjoyed the film, but it is highly derivative of the source, does not feature an especially strong narrative, and is competently shot but uninspired.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
"Best picture" is at best, the most nebulous category there anyways. There's so much potential for apples and oranges to ever really pull much out of it (even though they usually just nominate a set of proverbial apples anyways).

Mad Max probably got in there for its (IMO, kind of heavy handed) social commentary. Which is a shame, because it really should be in there for its cinematography (it is nominated for the cinematography and production design, as that goes).

Force Awakens is in for VFX and Score. Which is, really the main things I'd figure it might be.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Flathole said:
oh no, a movie I haven't seen and don't really want to see hasn't been recognized by a group of overpaid cockfags whose sole job is to advertise the industry. i care so much i might even make a comment on the internet about
Similarly, we're all very interested in your, ah, opinion.

You might want to reread the code of conduct, that sort of posting won't fly here.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I've stopped caring about these awards shows long ago.

If an award committee can give awards to artsy movies that no one has seen because they haven't been released yet, but has a recognizable celebrity in it (George Clooney in The Descendants), give an award to a movie that probably deserved it, but not everyone in the committee actually saw (12 Years a Slave), and that failed to recognize the sheer brilliance of Straight Outta Compton, then their opinions and awards mean s*** to me.

I've heard that if a film that is popular and successful at the box office, their only reward should be money, and that's an oversimplification. If a director's only desire in filming was to make money and not because thry want to touch on complicated themes or because their are passionate storytellers, then their work would only end up at a local Redbox or even Netflix (which has for some reason been bleeding through to this medium more recently).

Jan 19, 2016
Star Wars is a fun movie, but it's highly derivative of its predecessors and wasn't truly outstanding in any area. I honestly can't see why anyone would consider it Oscar-worthy other than due to fandom induced blindness. Besides, the Academy doesn't tend to look favourably on action and scifi movies (too plebeian for the rarefied tastes of the Academy), which is why Fury Road won't win, even though it was by far the most unique movie of the year.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
I don't think it deserved a nomination. To be honest, I don't know if I'd give any of the Star Wars movies best picture nods. They're fun popcorn flicks, but they don't really stay with you after IMO.

I'm much more annoyed that Ex Machina was snubbed.
Bat Vader said:
How on Earth is Mad Max a baity film? I agree that the wins/nominations often go to run of the mill period dramas, but even then, I don't see how they're shallow. This honestly sounds like one of those arguments people make when they simply don't like something and want their opinion to sound more weighty. Can you explain why they're shallow and Star Wars isn't?

Edit: not saying that the Oscars should even be taken as some kind of measure of a film's worth. We've already seen that the voters don't even watch all the movies and often just vote on things because they think they should.
That's why I said almost always. It's cool Mad Max was given a best picture nomination and I hope it wins but I have a feeling that it was just thrown in there for us nerds and geeks. I really hope that I am wrong and that it wins best picture because it deserves it the most out of anything else on that list.

They're shallow because they are purely made to win Oscars. As you even said in your post they are often run of the mill period dramas and that voters don't even watch all of the movies. The directors and screen writers already know this and make a film they know will do well at the Oscars; at the expense of trying to make something they actually want to make. Most of the time never put any effort into them. I've seen all the films that have been nominated and while I like most of them I feel half of them don't deserve to be nominated for best picture.

Mad Max, The Revenant, The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, and The Martian are all fine but Brooklyn, Room, and Spot-Light need to go because they honestly don't deserve best picture. Inside Out, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Hateful Eight, and Ant-Man instead should be nominated for best picture. Those are all movies the people that made them actually wanted to make.

I want the movies that actually had heart and soul put into them to be on there and not just safe movies Oscar bait movies. Also, it should be required that everyone has at least seen all of the films to vote.