Star Wars Outlaws - In a Galaxy far far too boring.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
As for this starwars game, I dunno, it feels weird to play as a shooty sneaky type in a setting that can have jedis, those fallen order games were so much more compelling. I don't get who would look at those and go "make a game in this world, but without all the cool space magic and energy swords".
Honestly, me.

I find the Jedi to be one of the less interesting parts of the Star Wars universe, it's one of the reasons that I liked the show Andor so much.

Video games also generally don't do lightsaber and jedi combat very well. Bonking a storm trooper on the head with a lightsaber just isn't all that engaging when you know that a lightsaber should effortlessly cut him in half, but at the same time actually having lightsabers do that would make the combat trivial with the exception of boss fights.

A Star Wars game set before the advent of lightsabers would probably be interesting. Lots more Jedi and Sith running around, and vibroblades would allow for actually well balanced combat.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Honestly, me.

I find the Jedi to be one of the less interesting parts of the Star Wars universe, it's one of the reasons that I liked the show Andor so much.

Video games also generally don't do lightsaber and jedi combat very well. Bonking a storm trooper on the head with a lightsaber just isn't all that engaging when you know that a lightsaber should effortlessly cut him in half, but at the same time actually having lightsabers do that would make the combat trivial with the exception of boss fights.

A Star Wars game set before the advent of lightsabers would probably be interesting. Lots more Jedi and Sith running around, and vibroblades would allow for actually well balanced combat.
You can just do the sekiro combat where most of your hits get blocked by something (either deflected by another lightsaber or absorbed by some kinda energy shield) until their stamina wears off and then do the single hit cinematic kill which is rewarding you for your efforts.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You can just do the sekiro combat where most of your hits get blocked by something (either deflected by another lightsaber or absorbed by some kinda energy shield) until their stamina wears off and then do the single hit cinematic kill which is rewarding you for your efforts.
Sure...except this is taking place in the star wars universe where a very limited number of enemies would have access to weapons or shields that can block a lightsaber. You can't have every single storm trooper carrying around another lightsaber or lightsaber equivalent because we already know that they don't, and we also already know that their armor is worthless and doesn't protect against anything.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Sure...except this is taking place in the star wars universe where a very limited number of enemies would have access to weapons or shields that can block a lightsaber. You can't have every single storm trooper carrying around another lightsaber or lightsaber equivalent because we already know that they don't, and we also already know that their armor is worthless and doesn't protect against anything.
Right so my approach there would be to just come up with an original, detailed plot why it would make sense for the majority of the enemies you encounter to be able to fend off a few strikes at least. Maybe invent some new power shield tech that is intended to be anti-jedi in particular that can do this. You just need a smart and fully-implemented solution here. Not just ape the movies but also have the basic white armor able to suddenly tank lightsabers or whatever.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Star Wars without the space magic ain't Star Wars. If you find the wizards and swords tiresome, then more reason not to pump out so much material.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Star Wars without the space magic ain't Star Wars. If you find the wizards and swords tiresome, then more reason not to pump out so much material.
Tell that to Disney and the others who keep doing this shit.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Andor was boring for that reason. Got the impression that the filmmakers don't really like Star Wars and only used the IP to tell a story they otherwise couldn't. That's why the tone is so off from Star Wars. It wants to be complex political intrigue with grey areas like Game of Thrones or something. Pretentious.

"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together."

No fantasy elements, total rejection of good and evil (Only grey, including the ones on the right side, who are all unlikable.) and this lifeforce that is supposed to be everywhere. Just a bland sci-fi. Anti-Star Wars.

Colored people everywhere, including Imperial leadership that was intentionally white men only in the OT (to contrast Rebels who had other colors, women and aliens -- more in Return of the Jedi, though), but still racist because no alien characters at all. Andor is in a prison block with 48 other inmates and not one alien. They only appear in the background. The fishermen could have been an abandoned ship. Ancillary. The only non-human character (Character, not background figures.) is the droid in the old woman's house, who doesn't matter. Every character that helps drive the story is human. Imperial leadership white men only in OT also because those austere uniforms in a room together don't suit black people and Asians at all. Like seeing a black man in a Nazi uniform and trying to pretend he was accepted as one of the fascists. It wasn't said in the OT, but it could be safely assumed. It was visual; the uniformity of their costumes, sex and skin color.

I don't care for this judgmental view the show has of arranged marriages. How the girl is matched with such a sense of doom. Seeking out partners oneself is working out SO well with most of those marriages (usually late into adulthood, after they've already been spoiled by unhappiness, grown cynical and defensive) ending in divorce, if they find someone at all. Arranged marriage would have been right in line with space fantasy inspired by the old fables, but of course this show rejects all of that.

The tease of the Death Star after the end credits made me think, "So what?" We know what happens, we've seen it destroyed. It doesn't need to be teased with such a sense of doom anymore. Prequels largely have nowhere to go, really. STILL staying in that safe place between the trilogies. Refusing the deviate one bit in space and time. Boring.

Guy who looks like Kyle MacLachlan's son wears a tie and works in a big office building. The tie doesn't hug a collar like ours. Too Earth-like, like the AK-47. They used, if I remember correctly, the Mauser C96 in Star Wars because it's not that well known by people who aren't into guns. You can't do that with the most famous rifle in the world. Thought the point was to make you feel like you're in a made-up world.

Buildup of Rebels feel stupidly rapid if this is supposed to lead up to CG characters from original movie attacking and communicating like they've done this plenty before in Rogue One (Shit movie.) and Diego Luna doesn't look any younger.

Escape was way too easy. I don't think the guards relying on the electric floors and being understaffed excuses it. The security was lacking.

I'm sick of Disney's dramatic speeches about hope and defiance with intensifying music in climaxes. Comes off as so fake, absolute cringe after the townspeople marched with their instruments (which was already friggin' cringe) in the last episode. Think it really got big after The Dark Knight, then slid its way into 007 with Skyfall.

Watched it faster than I normally do shows, but that's hardly impressive because it's highly serialized like almost all television drama now (as opposed to single stories that you enjoy but are fine following with another a few days or week(s) later). It's not good.

Last edited:

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
No love for Far Cry 2 lol.
Far Cry 2 was a buggy mess with a mime for a protagonist, an idiotic "play both sides" mechanic, unlikeable allies, and a villain whose voice actor sounded like a '90s teenager trying to sound "tough." (To be fair, he did have a few really good lines in the interview tapes. "War is my home" should not have worked as well as it did.)

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Right so my approach there would be to just come up with an original, detailed plot why it would make sense for the majority of the enemies you encounter to be able to fend off a few strikes at least. Maybe invent some new power shield tech that is intended to be anti-jedi in particular that can do this. You just need a smart and fully-implemented solution here. Not just ape the movies but also have the basic white armor able to suddenly tank lightsabers or whatever.
But again, if you want the story to actually be canon (or canonically viable) you can't do any of that without questions about why this tech isn't more wide-spread to the rest of the imperial military.

You either have to de-power lightsaber users in a way that doesn't make sense, or you have to empower the storm troopers in a way that also don't make much sense, or you have to invent some completely new threats, but if you're doing that then why are you even telling a story in the established star wars universe to begin with?

My perfect Star Wars game would be playing as a bounty hunter, and going out on quests to different planets hunting targets. It would be an "immersive sim" in the style of Deus Ex or Dishonored. You would use RPG style conversations in towns to find your target, there could be stealth gameplay when you're hunting them, and big action sequences and chases when your target is fighting you or trying to get away. Maybe the Huts hire you to hunt down run away slaves on Tattooine, and its a chase sequence through the dunes on hover bikes. Maybe you're hired to hunt down the head of a criminal organization on Coruascant and you have to fight your way through a gang stronghold to get to them. Maybe you have to stalk Wookies through the jungle, or find and eliminate storm troopers who are trying to defect to the rebellion. Maybe the final boss fight in the game is attempting to capture a Jedi, and you have to use your entire arsenal to take them down because they don't depower the lightsaber into a bonking stick. That's Star Wars to me, without having to compromise on elements of the universe to make it work in gameplay.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I'm honestly more excited for Dragon Age Veilguard now than I was before I played Baldur's Gate 3, just because I'm oh-so curious to see how it thinks it can measure up.
Oh it probably won’t. They have entirely different design and story aims. Although the addition of the griffin is a little sus due to the Owlbear cub in BG3.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No skin off my back. Barely consume any Star Wars content anymore. They ruined it.
I saw Star Wars Visions 1 & 2. Those are great and fun. Other than those two, I have not touched SW since Rise of Skywalker. That movie killed all my interests. Disney and JJ Abrams can't commit for shit.

Far Cry 2 was a buggy mess with a mime for a protagonist, an idiotic "play both sides" mechanic, unlikeable allies, and a villain whose voice actor sounded like a '90s teenager trying to sound "tough." (To be fair, he did have a few really good lines in the interview tapes. "War is my home" should not have worked as well as it did.)
The ultimate truth of Far Cry 2! Funny you should mention that, because the Jackal is Jack Carver from Far Cry 1.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I saw Star Wars Visions 1 & 2. Those are great and fun. Other than those two, I have not touched SW since Rise of Skywalker. That movie killed all my interests. Disney and JJ Abrams can't commit for shit.
'Screecher's Reach' (the second short in Visions Season 2) is honestly the best Star Wars content I've ever experienced. More tension and emotion in those few short minutes than I've seen in any Star Wars movie.

screechers-reach-highlights-daal_84f20c4c.jpeg

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Even still, the videos on it above show it did some things better than any of the later sequels. It could’ve been smoother if it stayed PC exclusive. Most of the half-baked issues stemmed from having to shoehorn too much into a console format at a time when limited RAM was a known bottleneck to cross platform design.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
But again, if you want the story to actually be canon (or canonically viable) you can't do any of that without questions about why this tech isn't more wide-spread to the rest of the imperial military.

You either have to de-power lightsaber users in a way that doesn't make sense, or you have to empower the storm troopers in a way that also don't make much sense, or you have to invent some completely new threats, but if you're doing that then why are you even telling a story in the established star wars universe to begin with?

My perfect Star Wars game would be playing as a bounty hunter, and going out on quests to different planets hunting targets. It would be an "immersive sim" in the style of Deus Ex or Dishonored. You would use RPG style conversations in towns to find your target, there could be stealth gameplay when you're hunting them, and big action sequences and chases when your target is fighting you or trying to get away. Maybe the Huts hire you to hunt down run away slaves on Tattooine, and its a chase sequence through the dunes on hover bikes. Maybe you're hired to hunt down the head of a criminal organization on Coruascant and you have to fight your way through a gang stronghold to get to them. Maybe you have to stalk Wookies through the jungle, or find and eliminate storm troopers who are trying to defect to the rebellion. Maybe the final boss fight in the game is attempting to capture a Jedi, and you have to use your entire arsenal to take them down because they don't depower the lightsaber into a bonking stick. That's Star Wars to me, without having to compromise on elements of the universe to make it work in gameplay.
Oh I have no problem with games adding to the canon, the novels do so all the time (though I dunno if they at some point abandoned the extended universe lore, I remember hearing something about that a while back).

You can just have it set in a future timeline where newer advances transpired that let armor soak a couple lightsaber hits, and maybe come up with some newer weapon that pierces this armor too, but the jedis stuck in their ways go at it the hard way and still use lightasbers. This sort of thing is very easy to sort through storytelling, and I honestly am not attached to the lore that the sequels are a part of strongly enough to mind it being altered in order to have a game in the SW universe play like Sekiro. That's a very, very small price to pay. Like in that new show with the lesbians you have jedis magically changing the color of their lightsabers when normally it's supposed to be set in stone based on the sort of crystal used to make the thing. The lore is not all that sacred to them so I won't bother revering it more than they do lol.

But yeah basically all the blaster users in SW always felt lame to me (prolly due to the intentionally terrible aim everyone had in the old films lol) so if you take out Jedis you kinda lose me.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Just take the games into another era, a much later era, in which the Jedi are numerous and have many lightsaber-wielding adversaries and so the military working with those evil force users have developed tools with which to counter the Jedi's sabers. (Deflecting blaster fire should also be more difficult. Star Wars Jedi series is for dumb-dumbs.) I'm not sure the original trilogy aesthetic and setting are very lucrative anymore. People are tired of the same old and complain about how illogically the stories back into the old material. Better to start fresh with a new era and characters, keeping the most important things.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just take the games into another era, a much later era, in which the Jedi are numerous and have many lightsaber-wielding adversaries and so the military working with those evil force users have developed tools with which to counter the Jedi's sabers. (Deflecting blaster fire should also be more difficult. Star Wars Jedi series is for dumb-dumbs.) I'm not sure the original trilogy aesthetic and setting are very lucrative anymore. People are tired of the same old and complain about how illogically the stories back into the old material. Better to start fresh with a new era and characters, keeping the most important things.
Sure, but then what's even the point of it being "Star Wars" if it's in a completely different future era with new technology and a new aesthetic? In that case just have a new franchise with laser swords.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Sure, but then what's even the point of it being "Star Wars" if it's in a completely different future era with new technology and a new aesthetic? In that case just have a new franchise with laser swords.
Not really. Still Star Wars because of the same (and other) races/cultures, same magical life force, same monsters, bounty hunters, mercenaries, factions that came from the old (or have stood through time), same space battles, the simplistic good and evil, heroism... Technology would build on the old, including some familiar terminology. They could play with the events from the movies as if they were now almost legend. Or even have a plot about historical lies that the player but not the protagonist is smart to. Sure, you CAN take those things and name it something else. But it would be called plagiarism. Knights of the Old Republic did it, just in the other direction, the past instead of my future. I don't even know of any other space opera/fantasy in a completely made up universe where Earth never existed. Disney HAS to do this. They can't keep milking the original trilogy forever.

Last edited:

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
You could do that, but that is basically like the personal shields from Star Trek Online. It still feels weird.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think that that is kinda impossible - Star Wars has destroyed the space fantasy by being the only kid in town. Any attempt now to make a new franchise set in space with fantastical elements and beings is either going to be too much like Star Wars or not Star Wars enough. The only way to escape it is by either being part of the MCU (Guardians of the Galaxy) or maybe an anime (Tenchi Muyo). Or Ratchet and Clank, I guess.