Star Wars Series Will Include Origin Story Films

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
But ... why?!

Anyone that is interested in the background of any of the characters in the first six movies has either already jumped into the EU or, at least, searched wookiepedia for themselves.

I feel that the characters were much more interesting when we didn't know everything about them. When the clone wars was some mysterious event in the past; when we didn't know everything about Anakin and his fall.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
I just felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of fanboys started whining in terror and will never be silent.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
My eyes rolled so hard at this headline my optic nerves exploded.

So I didn't read the article. Sorry. Sploded optic nerves.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Well that is a lot of reactions, this really does not seem odd or bad to me. It may be overdoing it but this basically how the avengers movieverse works but in reveres. Their was no official mention of using old characters and if they do that would be lame. Otherwise its big movie with everybody, smaller movies looking at the story of the players in the big movie rinse repeat.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I put $20 on Johnny Depp making his way into one of these. We'll see the great Jedi Knight Jack Sparrow. I'm cringing already.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
That's a damning shame. I was looking forward to movies that have nothing to do with Jedi, the New Republic, Luke Skywalker, etc.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
Yeah because Star Wars prequels worked so well the last time.

They could be good but "origin story for well loved characters" is the go-to option when the idea bucket is empty and they want to guarantee that people will go and see them.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I wouldn't mind one for Yoda actually, if done right (and lets face it, Disney films lately haven't exactly been bad) i think it could be pretty awesome, Maybe one for Qui-Gon Gin (anything to see Liam Neeson play that role again!)

A Palpatine one could be epic, seeing his rise to power, Same with Mace Windu, seeing how he became Jedi master would actually be pretty cool, and why he doesn't trust so easily.

Anyway, no problem with this, are they Milking it? Maybe. But if done right, like many of there films recently, then i look forward to watching them.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Do we really need more origins for characters? Seriously? Or do they just want to make more money? (Stupid question, I know...)

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I'm okay with this. But for your own sakes tread lightly.

The biggest failing in most origin stories is confusing "Situation A caused known element B" with "Situation A only happend because of the inevitability of element B."

In other words don't give us another story where the only motivations a character has is to get them to their starting points in the established story.

"Darth Vader is evil so...um...bad dreams and infanticide. Done! "

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
[quote/]"Of all our worries, Star Wars is not one of them," Rasulo said at the investor conference.[/quote]

Well that's all well and good for you, but I'm fucking terrified. Star Wars was my gateway into sci-fi and fantasy, so it holds a dear place in my heart. Meanwhile, Disney, because of their fanatical devotion to their "family-friendly" image, love of milking franchises (Pirates of the Caribbean), and their seeming disregard of the EU (so far) leaves me worried about the future of Star Wars.

OT: Really, X-Men: Wolverine styled origin movies? What did we do to deserve [i/]this[/i] punishment?

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
Lucasfilm primarily licensed Star Wars toys, but Disney plans to broaden the franchise into "housewares."
I look forward to replacing all of the kitchenware I own with Chewbacca plates and cutlery. May the merch be with me.
OOOH!

I want a Millennium Falcon shaped party tray!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Redlin5 said:
CriticalMiss said:
Lucasfilm primarily licensed Star Wars toys, but Disney plans to broaden the franchise into "housewares."
I look forward to replacing all of the kitchenware I own with Chewbacca plates and cutlery. May the merch be with me.
OOOH!

I want a Millennium Falcon.

Work on that instead, Disney.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Easton Dark said:
I want a Millennium Falcon.

Work on that instead, Disney.
That would require them to stop outsourcing all the work abroad to unskilled workers in Asia though.

Doesn't sound profitable? Doesn't sound Disney.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Redlin5 said:
That would require them to stop outsourcing all the work abroad to unskilled workers in Asia though.

Doesn't sound profitable? Doesn't sound Disney.
According to the codex aspergers, the Millenium Falcon was built by underpaid Bothans.

There would be no greater qualified workforce to build a replica than unskilled asians.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Redlin5 said:
CriticalMiss said:
OOOH!

The Millenium Falcon is almost the right shape for a toilet seat, you could pretend you are doing the Kessel run in less than twelve poosecs.