Star Wars Series Will Include Origin Story Films

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Make whatever movies you want, Disney. Fuck it. I'm done caring. As far as I'm concerned, Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy will always and forever be the true sequels to the original trilogy. Whatever the movies end up being, to me, they'll just be some weird, alternate universe... just like the Prequels.

Disney just wants another series of films like the Marvel Multiverse they're profiting so much from. Star Wars fans will hate them, people will make fun of the Star Wars fans for being the admittedly touchy and angry people that we are, and Disney will be laughing all the way to the bank. I'm already over it and it hasn't even happened yet.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
james.sponge said:
We need Greedo origin story... and Wedge's as well :p
Screw those guys...whoever they are. They need to make a Jar Jar Binks movie. He at least got some screen time so we would care about where he came from. It could be a downward spiral of lies, alcohol, and clumsiness that culminate in his entire race abandoning him to die of privation in the parched wastes of the overworld. But cruel, cruel fate had another destiny in mind for him. And us.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Is it just me (of course not, but it's a figure of speech) that thinks that either the movies will be good and I will enjoy watching them or they will be bad and I won't watch them? I get that you can get disappointed when they say they are going to do a new X and it turns out it's bad but it's not like you have to see it.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
For me Star Wars films should be the main stories, big events that require an opening scrawl to get you up to speed. Origin stories are things definitely best left to things like books and games (though I can see maybe they don't want to do new books so as not to confuse people about what's Disney Star Wars and what isn't).

Ukomba said:
MrBaskerville said:
I could do without these origin films, i really don't need to know what Han Solo was doing in his past, who cares anyway? We know everything that is relevant to know for the movies to make sense, the rest is just fluff...
Especially since they already have his back story flushed out rather well in the EU.
An EU that's basically going to be declared non-canon?

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
The only character I would be really invested in an origin story from is Yoda, and thats mostly because Yoda was ~750 years old when he died, go back 600-700 years and they might actually put a new perspective on the Star Wars universe (i.e. what KotOR did and KotOR is my personal favorite story in the Star Wars universe (including Empire Strikes Back and I was fucking in that movie :O)) and can show us a lot of cool shit that the galaxy went through way before the original movies took place. Han Solo or Boba Fett origin could be cool I guess, but considering its not really offering anything new about the universe I would prefer something besides them. What I really want to see is a movie (or even better, trilogy) where the Sith actually do rule the galaxy and the Jedi have to fight to regain control.

Also, please tell me the rumors are true and Benidict Cumberbatch is going to be a Sith Lord. It doesn't matter what you thought of the new Star Trek movie or the casting of a white person to play the character, Cumberbatch without doubt has one of the strongest onscreen presences as a villain in film today and him as a cold and ruthless Sith Lord could quite literally make even just a decent script into something really good, and a great script into something phenomenal.

P.S. My origin story is this: Fuckin bitches n' gettin money!

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Veylon said:
james.sponge said:
Screw those guys...whoever they are. They need to make a Jar Jar Binks movie. He at least got some screen time so we would care about where he came from. It could be a downward spiral of lies, alcohol, and clumsiness that culminate in his entire race abandoning him to die of privation in the parched wastes of the overworld. But cruel, cruel fate had another destiny in mind for him. And us.
You don't know who Greedo is? C'mon man......

Refresher for you

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Ok now I don't think the idea of origin stories is a great idea, but if I accept for a moment that Disney probably don't care what I think I will admit there are a few characters they could do this for that wouldn't be a complete disaster.

I think a young Qui-gon Jinn story would be quite a good way to go. It would happen well before any of the other films so you wouldn't have too many issues trying to tie it in with whatever else is supposed be be happening in the universe at that time (for instance, if they did a Han / Chewbacca story then the backdrop would presumably be the aftermath of the galactic civil war, or even the war itself and that could get messy really quickly. Plus we have an interesting character who has already been established as something as a rebel. I think theres alot of potential there.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Lionsfan said:
Veylon said:
james.sponge said:

Refresher for you
I'm joking. I also know who Wedge is and that he is a (if not the) leading character in a whole series of EU novels. The whole concept of origin movies for Star Wars characters is kind of a terrible idea. I get that they want to do the Avengers thing where a whole bunch of stuff coalesces to score for maximum profit, but is there anyone all that eager to spend two hours finding out how our favorite Rodian bounty hunter ended up getting gunned down in a bar by a smuggler?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I see we're continuing the practice of not leaving anything to the audience's imagination. Marvellous. ¬__¬

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Veylon said:
Lionsfan said:
Veylon said:
james.sponge said:

Refresher for you
I'm joking. I also know who Wedge is and that he is a (if not the) leading character in a whole series of EU novels. The whole concept of origin movies for Star Wars characters is kind of a terrible idea. I get that they want to do the Avengers thing where a whole bunch of stuff coalesces to score for maximum profit, but is there anyone all that eager to spend two hours finding out how our favorite Rodian bounty hunter ended up getting gunned down in a bar by a smuggler?
My bad man.

And I agree, with what you said. Although I think I read a book of Star Wars short stories, and Greedo was one of them. According to this book, his father was a bounty hunter who owed people money, so Greedo was set up to take out Han. Or something like that.

But it all seemed so pointless

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Do they not get why Palpatine and Yoda are effective characters?

They're supposed to represent the traditional "Mysterious Teacher for Good," and "The Mysterious Force of Pure Evil." Notice how the word "mysterious" appears twice. We hardly know anything about them which makes them more compelling.

Mysteries lose all pull if you explain them, especially if you do it poorly, which they no doubt will.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of god, don't do this for any of the main characters. Boba Fett's backstory is convoluted enough, and Han Solo's is actually pretty good. Telling Yoda's would completely rob us of any mystery surrounding him and his species.

If they are doing Origin films, do them for the new characters they reveal in episode 7.
Didn't Lucas actively prohibit anything regarding Yoda's race and origin?

Seems like it was better that way.

viranimus said:
I really cannot wait to see what happens when the notoriously irrational starwars fanbase sees disneys machinations and goes as expected ME3 ending berzerk.
I'm sure Star Wars fans of old will be welcoming and accepting of Disney's plans....

Oh wow, I just said that with a straight face.

Hero in a half shell said:
Oh great. In a universe of possibilities they are going to stick to the same dozen bloody people, same dozen bloody planets, same dozen bloody races and same dozen bloody weapons.
so they ARE being true to Lucas' vision?

Worgen said:
Somewhere the red letter media guys are banging their heads against door frames.
Or pumping their fists in the air, knowing they're about to get 7 billion new views.

templar1138a said:
They are. In the form of Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.
Assuming we see a lot of new characters out of them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
The Millenium Falcon is almost the right shape for a toilet seat, you could pretend you are doing the Kessel run in less than twelve poosecs.
The quad cannons are placed in a place I don't want any firearm, real or imaginary, to be stuck.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
templar1138a said:
I just felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of fanboys started whining in terror and will never be silent.
Hasn't it been that way with the Star Wars fans since 1999 though?

OT: Well then, i was actually going to pay attention to future Star Wars projects, but now i think i'll lay off that for a while after the 2015 movie. If no one asks for an origin story i don't really see the point in making one (or indeed three) because as other people have mentioned it's just fluff. What's the point of spending six years and god knows how much money on something that's ultimately a pointless project?

Even if they are going to make them about new characters from the 2015 release i'm not too excited because to me that means one of two things: Either the characters' backstories in 2015 are going to be so slim that we don't know what the fuck's going on thus making that movie shit, or it will be like i described above in which case the whole origins trilogy is gonna be shit... Pick your poison, ladies and gents.

endplanets

Mar 18, 2011
Does this mean we will get to see a movie about Boba Fett escaping the Scarlak pit? Bloody finally. And I guess Akbar and the Hutt who replaces Jabba will probably get some screen time.

Wait, it sounds like these are going to be see in theater movies as opposed to made for TV movies (which can still be great). Well if the "Avengers" manages to release so many movies I guess Star Wars can pull it off.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
For the love of god, don't do this for any of the main characters. Boba Fett's backstory is convoluted enough, and Han Solo's is actually pretty good. Telling Yoda's would completely rob us of any mystery surrounding him and his species.

If they are doing Origin films, do them for the new characters they reveal in episode 7.
What? You don't want to see an even younger Han Solo played by whoever the coming decade's equivalent of Shia LaBeouf is?

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I'd forgo the whole origin movies idea and just make movie adaptations of Rogue Squadron. I mean come on, they have 9 books and a comic series to work with. Lots of great characters, including Wedge Antilles, and many adventures in the dying days of the Empire. OR they could do something similar to the stories of Rogue Squadron so all the pre-existing continuity is intact and you can add some originality to the mix.

Personally, I'd like to see Wedge's Gamble made into a feature film.