Star Wars, Star Trek

Sirch.Cajnos

Oct 27, 2009
So i come from a household where i got exposed to original, William Shatner Star Trek, watched TNG and was also introduced to the Original trilogy of star wars. Honestly i'm confused. I'd like to take this oppotunity to discuss what are considered the pros and cons of these two Sci-fi giants

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
To me, Star Trek was more long running with a few morals thrown in, Star Wars was just one hell of a ride

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I watched TNG as it was coming out, I still enjoy it. A good series with some great characters. Star Wars, I liked 2 out of 6 movies so I can't say I enjoy much of that series.

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009

Here we go.

OT:

I loved the original star wars films. Never saw any of the star trek ones. Are they any good?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Star Trek is a somewhat more 'hard' science-fiction with social and political themes often mixed in, while Wars is more of a science-fantasy space opera.

Also, Trek was originally a TV show and Wars was originally a bunch of movies.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
I like the vast universe of Star Wars, more the books than the movies really, they've messed that galaxy up like 5 times and it's awesome to watch

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I've been a massive Star Wars fan since I was 6 years old.
I've never been interested in Star Trek, but watched the new film and loved it, but my flatmates informed me that it's almost a parody of the earlier films, with so much humour etc in it. They tried to get me into one of the many TV series' (can't remember which) and it seems ok, just not that exciting to me

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I really liked 'Search Bar'...... Oh, and Welcome to The Escapist!

On-Topic though: I have a place for both series. I grew up watching re-runs of the original and watched TNG since it started. I followed DS9 for a bit and they kinda fell away.

I love the original SW Trilogy, the 2nd had a couple of good points, but really seemed to just be over-CG, poorly acted and written....

brtshstel

Dec 16, 2008
Star Wars was "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away." By that frame of mind, it was just a less pretentious way of saying "this is George Lucas's super crazy fun world where I can say whatever I want and do whatever I want to get my point across and all I have to do is tell you to suspend your disbelief because it has nothing to do with our world...and make my vast army of fanboys flame the shit out of you." It's good to watch (that is, A New Hope, Empire, and Return), but to me it's more about entertainment.

Trek is our world, but set way in the future. Long story short, a third world war devastates most of what we know now, then a brilliant drunk guy manages to build a warp vessel, established First contact with Vulcans, they collaborate a federation of planets,and not long after that we get the Enterprise. The movies have little of that action and glitter that the Star Wars films do, and instead appeal to the critical thinkers, which can be boring at times but all in all appeal to a particular theme (unless its Star Trek V, which is just William Shatner masturbating into a roll of film.)

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Star Wars Movies(Yes all of them)>Star Trek Movies

Star Trek Show>Anything Star Wars thats not a movie.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Sorry but im the opposite. A new hope (remastered) was the first movie i ever saw at the cinema. Im not a big fan of the prequels though. i hadnt seen any trek until recently being the new movie n thats gotten me really into them but idk how it compares to the original series, anyone wanna enlighten me too? lol

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Zepren said:
Sorry but im the opposite. A new hope (remastered) was the first movie i ever saw at the cinema. Im not a big fan of the prequels though. i hadnt seen any trek until recently being the new movie n thats gotten me really into them but idk how it compares to the original series, anyone wanna enlighten me too? lol
You can watch the original series on youtube.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Wardog13 said:
Zepren said:
You can watch the original series on youtube.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the copyright people are watching lol. well what ive seen visually its pretty bad but storyline wise? no one tells me nothing

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
I liked both. Star Trek was my "the future has hope" and possibly put me on a collision course with my current career. Star Wars was fun and it was just awesome sauce with lightsabers.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Snotnarok said:
I watched TNG as it was coming out, I still enjoy it.
i can still watch 30 seconds of any given TNG episode and tell you what the episode is. i watched it way too much as a teenager, me and my mom would watch that and i was subjected to coronation street.

as for both of them, i hold both series up as being good and great. they are talking about different things and have different but similar outlooks on life in general.