Star Wars...Why should I see it?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Look. I never saw The Original Trilogy. (That's capitalized, right?)

Okay. That's a lie. I saw them all when I was 4-5 years old. But you can't really enjoy a movie at that age. It's all 'splosions and wazer wifles. I can't remember a single scene. But I've basically never seen them.

In fact, the movies' myriad descriptions fail to interest me enough to even bother watching them. Period. The plot twists have long become common domain, no longer even considered spoilers.

Why should I watch these movies I hold no interest in?

JUST BECAUSE? Really?

Jul 22, 2009
I feel the same. I've lost all interest in Star Wars and I feel George Lucas was potentially the worst thing that ever happened to it.

I'll just stay with my repeats of Star Trek Voyager...

Moonpig123

Dec 24, 2010
To gain deepened understanding of the entire sci-fi genre. Star Wars opened up so many doors... every sci-fi film after that trilogy has SOMETHING to owe it.

Also... it's awesome. I mean, really. Lightsabers. X-Wings. Darth Vader. Come on, dude. ;-)

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
They aren't really good unless you were alive during the hype period when they came out.

If you take a step back and look, you see it's not so amazing. It's like me having an over inflated opinion of cartoons I watched as a child. Because they mean something to me.

EDIT: That is just my opinion.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Because those are all extremely good movies and, even if you have no interest in the subject matter or the mythology, there is still chance that they'll provide at least some entertainment.

The actors are very good. The scenes are very memorable. The graphics are astounding for the time.

If you believe that the time you would spend watching them you could spend doing something that would provide more entertainment value, do so. However, if you have nothing to do, why not give it a go?

Star Wars is one of those things you probably would want to have an opinion on. Even if it's extremely negative.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
It was more important earlier as it pioneered special effects that are now standard in movies. Had a fairly interesting story. And who doesn't love lightsabers?

But I enjoyed episodes 1-3 more, probably because of even more special effects, but that did make it feel less real and more like characters constantly standing infront of a green screen.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Look. I never saw The Original Trilogy. (That's capitalized, right?)
It's capitalized if the name of the trilogy was "The Original Trilogy". If not, then no.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Ugh, I hate this. People talk so much shit about Star Wars that people who've never seen it either expect it to be the most glorious collection of moving pictures ever or to be the worst thing that ever happened to the entertainment industry.

You should see it for what it is. A space opera sci-fi movie (series) with enough stuff in it to appeal to almost everyone.

I'd advise you to start with Episode 1.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
When i was younger i didnt really have any interest in them either. They were just some old scifi movies i knew were ment to be good when they were released. My dad got a special edition video box set of the 3 movies for his birthday about 10 years ago and i ended up watching them with my perents. I was really surprised by the fact i enjoyed them.

Watch one of them. It will only take up 2 hours one night and you'll see if its worth watching the others.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
GamesB2 said:
I feel the same. I've lost all interest in Star Wars and I feel George Lucas was potentially the worst thing that ever happened to it.

I'll just stay with my repeats of Star Trek Voyager...
Hah hah, never thought I'd hear anyone admit in public that they like Voyager. :]

I agree, though. I'd seen at least five parodies of the films before I saw them, and frankly I didn't find them as good as some of their parodies. I guess they're an important part of American culture and ought to be watched if only for that reason.

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Why should I watch these movies I hold no interest in?
Well, no-one is forcing you to watch something that you're not interested in. Some people watch it because it's a cult classic. Some watch it for other reasons, such as research into jokes that have occured in Family Guy or Futurama, for example.

In short, the acting is not the best you will see, though it did launch the career of Harrison Ford. The special effects are dated, regardless of how much LucasFilm busies themselves with remastering and redoing all of them. They are easily better movies than the "prequel trilogy" and no mistake. If you've watched Episodes I-III, watch IV-VI, it just makes sense. At least something getting shot out of the sky in the original trilogy doesn't cause a whole army of droids to collapse, as if they've all just contracted Windows ME.

Personally, I'd say it's worth a watch. I am a little biased, but then if you didn't want to watch it,. you wouldn't ask us all to justify it to you, would you?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
JourneyThroughHell said:
If you believe that the time you would spend watching them you could spend doing something that would provide more entertainment value, do so. However, if you have nothing to do, why not give it a go?
So, watch them when I'm bored and have nothing better to watch/play/do?

That's been my intention since I got Netflix years ago.

With my backlog of stuff that I'm interested in/know that I'll like, that's going to take forever. It has already taken 3 years to get the disc to my house for Episode 4. It's been sitting here for 2 months, ignored.

A very good idea, but you have no idea the pile of stuff I'm sitting on.

Moonpig123

Dec 24, 2010
orangebandguy said:
They aren't really good unless you were alive during the hype period when they came out.

If you take a step back and look, you see it's not so amazing. It's like me having an over inflated opinion of cartoons I watched as a child. Because they mean something to me.
Well I wasn't alive when any of the original trilogy came out and I love them. :) They just capture my imagination, it's as simple as that.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
orangebandguy said:

BULL SHIT!

To me, and many people I know, who were born in the 90's, the original Star Wars trilogy is a damn gold mine of good movies. Now, I enjoyed the three new ones, as well, but Empire Strikes Back will always be my favorite, and probably one of my favorite movies of all time.

Just because something is older or on fire back in the day, does not mean newer generations can not appreciate it and enjoy it.

I mean, I still hear plenty of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, etc all over the radio, sporting events, and so on. The Beatles still sell like hot-cakes.

@OP: I sincerely suggest watching them chronologically. Start with Phantom Menace (The admitted shit-twinkie of the series) and end with Return of the Jedi.

You'll find they get better as the story goes on. :)

Have discipline, and may the force be with you.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Moonpig123 said:
orangebandguy said:

Well I wasn't alive when any of the original trilogy came out and I love them. :) They just capture my imagination, it's as simple as that.
They are nice movies, but not the best thing ever. I like them, but to me they are just regular movies. Maybe I am more of a LOTR geek.

But we can all agree the new ones are shitpiece. ^^