Star Wars...Why should I see it?

GreatVladmir

May 25, 2008
Try and watch the original, unalterd versions of ep's 4, 5 and 6, they are far better than the special editions if not, the special editions are still just as good. Episode 1 is just eh, not that bad, but not incredibly awesome, watch if ya want to. Episode 2 is the worse one, ok you get to see Yoda light sabre fight, but is one of the most force, unreal and cringe worthy love scenes worth it? Episode 3 is ok too, not as good as the original trilogy, but its a damn sight better than Episodes 1 & 2.

But I digres, It is worth giving them another veiw, you never know, you might like them, you might not, it all depends on what you look for in a film.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Err... what?! Are you being held at gunpoint or something?
If you don't like it then don't watch it, problem solved... now where is my Nobel peace prize.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
You don't need to see them. Really.

But it can give you some insights about pop culture in the late 20th century and whatnot. It's a hugely influential set of films. It's a mythology of our days, just like some superheroes.

About the films themselves, I was a fan when younger. After re-watching them a few times, I'd say the only film I really like from the original trilogy is Empire Strikes Back. The other two are mildly entertaining, at best. I think people who say all three movies are fantastic are speaking from nostalgia or from reverence. Still, it may be worth watching them more for their cultural significance than for their artistic merits.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
If you have to ask yourself why you should see a movie that you have no reason to believe is anything less of amazing (as the general opinion is) maybe you're not the type who even likes movies.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
Reasons:
Interesting characters(they have an arc)
Pop culture references
Understand the hatred people have for the prequels
They're good movies

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I feel more excitement watching the original three, than I ever did watching the three prequels.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
orangebandguy said:
They aren't really good unless you were alive during the hype period when they came out.

If you take a step back and look, you see it's not so amazing. It's like me having an over inflated opinion of cartoons I watched as a child. Because they mean something to me.

EDIT: That is just my opinion.
this.

i was six when A New Hope came out and as such i have grown up with Star Wars my whole life and i have a deep nostalgia for it. if i were to have seen any of the original SW films as an adult (as i did with the prequels) i probably would have enjoyed them a lot less.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Because you'll then actually understand the jokes in Family Guy: Blue Harvest (like you, I watched the original trilogy when I was very small, and then watched Blue Harvest when I was 11 or 12, and then saw Star Wars again soon after that, and I found it a lot funnier). Also, they are major cultural reference points, as I understand it, episode 5 was put under special protection or something like that by some American film society... thingy.

Sep 14, 2009
basically i see it as why not see it? its a good way to spend an afternoon imo, watch some at least decent sci fi, and then your caught up to snuff on possibly why or why not you agree with alot of people out there. i was watching them like crazy on christmas when they were on for freaking 2 days straight.

my friend is the same way, and being the most stubborn ignorant person on the planet, he refuses to watch them, but hey if you are bored why not give them a go?

lewiswhitling

May 18, 2009
starwars was summed up for me when, whilst watching the scene in the mos eisly (sp?) cantina, one of my house mates walked in, sat down for a few minutes, and then asked if it was "a parody of starwars".... kinda lol and cry moment all rolled into one.

I do enjoy them though - just for a bit of sci-fi entertainment which anyone can watch, but which still moderately grapples with deeper things. I have to say though, the reason i love starwars, and have an attachment to it (although i was far too young to get caught up in the hype surrounding it) was due to various video games; the X-wing and TIE fighter games, and KotOR.

So long as people keep bringing out well produced content for the franchise, it'll live on to consume any further generations :)

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Ascarus said:
orangebandguy said:
They aren't really good unless you were alive during the hype period when they came out.

If you take a step back and look, you see it's not so amazing. It's like me having an over inflated opinion of cartoons I watched as a child. Because they mean something to me.

EDIT: That is just my opinion.
this.

i was six when A New Hope came out and as such i have grown up with Star Wars my whole life and i have a deep nostalgia for it. if i were to have seen any of the original SW films as an adult (as i did with the prequels) i probably would have enjoyed them a lot less.
It's good to recognize the power of nostalgia. I don't think the original movies are all that great, although I still like Empire a lot. The other two not so much. But I remember being completely thrilled with them when I was a kid, and the movies were kinda new.

Partezan

Apr 15, 2009
you might still enjoy them even when you know the end, I know we won WW2 but I still enjoy war movies

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Look. I never saw The Original Trilogy. (That's capitalized, right?)

Okay. That's a lie. I saw them all when I was 4-5 years old. But you can't really enjoy a movie at that age. It's all 'splosions and wazer wifles. I can't remember a single scene. But I've basically never seen them.

In fact, the movies' myriad descriptions fail to interest me enough to even bother watching them. Period. The plot twists have long become common domain, no longer even considered spoilers.

Why should I watch these movies I hold no interest in?

JUST BECAUSE? Really?
I don't know, why read Shakespeare? Why see Phantom of the Opera?

Its impact on our culture is significant enough that everyone should watch it.
(Note: Only the Original Trilogy, everything else is dead to me.)

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
You don't have to.

I watched them all just this year, only seeing the original trilogy, or actually pieces of the original trilogy, when I was a child. I liked episode III the most.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Well, I'd say they're worth watching just because of the impact they had on modern movie-making, and because there really is nothing else like them. So yea, I would just say clear an afternoon and watch all three star wars.

Or don't, really nobody is making you watch them. Then again, you are the first person I've ever met to have played and enjoyed the console version of Oblivion other than me, so I shall recommend the star wars movies to you as a kindred spirit, if nothing else, my brother.

Marcus Attell

Jul 3, 2009
If you are going to study film history, it is a must. If you are otherwise not interested, then don't. The reason that people hold the original trilogy in such high regard is that at the time, nothing like that had ever existed... it was the first of it's kind. Me, I adore the original trilogy, but Special FX have improved hundred fold since then, and the only thing that SW has going for it, is that it was the original. The First.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Okay. That's a lie. I saw them all when I was 4-5 years old. But you can't really enjoy a movie at that age. It's all 'splosions and wazer wifles. I can't remember a single scene. But I've basically never seen them.

In fact, the movies' myriad descriptions fail to interest me enough to even bother watching them. Period. The plot twists have long become common domain, no longer even considered spoilers.

JUST BECAUSE? Really?
If you're asking yourself this question, than maybe these movies aren't for you.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Novskij said:
Why not, watch it... might be pretty cool? :p
Maybe this, it's only a few hours of your life, not like reading a book or something. Honestly, I don't particularly enjoy the original trilogy myself, all of the character development occurs off screen and is really shallow. The prequel trilogy is only a little better, IMO.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
DuctTapeJedi said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

JUST BECAUSE? Really?
I don't know, why read Shakespeare? Why see Phantom of the Opera?

Its impact on our culture is significant enough that everyone should watch it.
(Note: Only the Original Trilogy, everything else is dead to me.)
Let's wait a couple of centuries before we compare it to Shakespeare, shall we?