StarCraft 2 Tournament Boots Player for Rape Comment

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JimB said:
Sure. It's all contextual. For instance, I have laughed at rape jokes in my life; I think the NAMBLA episode of South Park is hilarious. I don't know if it's a responsible joke to tell, but leaving questions of responsible behavior aside, it just tickles my funnybone when that middle-aged pervert strokes Butters's arm and coos about skin as soft as fresh linen.
Thing is, that's a case of it being very-obviously poked at for laughs. Hell, the show has that big disclaimer up front. People in conversation are not so lucky.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Johnisback said:
What would it take then, to get to the point where the word "rape" could be comfortably used publicly, in the same context as other comparable or worse crimes, like "murder?"
Couldn't tell you. I'd guess we'd need to remove the factors that cause rape survivors to internalize their feelings, which include public reaction to rape (defending the rapist, attacking and/or blaming the victim, dismissing the trauma) and the victims' personal reactions (which are all too often the same as the public reactions, plus a crippling sense of betrayal and paranoia since the vast majority of rape victims know their attackers).

Johnisback said:
No, but it would be the subject of that conversation.
In a perfect world, yes. It's my experience that conversations tend to be less about rape, rapists, and their victims than it tends to be about both sides trying to find a moral high ground and preaching for the sake of their own ego.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
JimB said:
It's my experience that conversations tend to be less about rape, rapists, and their victims than it tends to be about both sides trying to find a moral high ground and preaching for the sake of their own ego.
Johnisback said:
Yeah unfortunately my experience matches yours.
Good talk, good talk.
?what the hell did I just read? Reasoned discourse? On a forum?!? That didn't descend into? or escalate into? on a _forum_?!?

0_0

I'm going to mark the day on a calendar and celebrate it yearly with cake and ice cream. Bravo, folks. Well done.

My two cents is that like many people I've used phrases when younger which I wouldn't any more. There was a time when I didn't know people would be bothered by what seemed like innocuous phrases. When you're standing in front of someone you care about, though, and they take the time to explain why it's a dick thing to do, well? for me that was when I realized I could carry on and be a dick, or change. I don't really castigate myself for what I did while ignorant but I do tend to look askance at people who carry on with objectionable behavior after someone's taken the time to explain why it's not cool.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Johnisback said:
Good talk, good talk.
I enjoyed it too. Thanks for humoring me as I pontificated at you.

Elijah Newton said:
?what the hell did I just read? Reasoned discourse? On a forum?!? That didn't descend into? or escalate into? on a _forum_?!?
Heh. Yeah, it turns out okay sometimes.

Elijah Newton said:
I don't really castigate myself for what I did while ignorant but I do tend to look askance at people who carry on with objectionable behavior after someone's taken the time to explain why it's not cool.
I think when people are presented with a choice between admitting fault, however unknowing, or blaming and dismissing the person presenting them with the choice, most people will probably choose the latter a depressing amount of the time.