StarCraft 2 Tournament Boots Player for Rape Comment

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Good fucking riddance. Way to make the whole e-sports scene seem totally mature and respectable. What a fucking idiot.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Behavior like this is why I avoid competitive gaming and the only online gaming for me is co-operative.

Back when I played a crapload of Gears of War 3's Horde mode, I was playing a game with some dudes who had mics, and it was actually pretty good. They talked about gaming, movies, TV shows, etc over a two hour session. At the end of it, dude had invited me to be part of his team on a competitive match.

"Sure, why not."

Big mistake. These guys who were calm, decent, and cool earlier just turned into vile and hate-spewing creatures. For some reason, the competitive side of things just got the worst out of them. I just booked it out of there. Still played Horde with them later, but you'd be surprised how often this stuff happens online.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I sometimes wonder how Rape became such a ubiquitous term in gaming.

Baserape
Spawnrape
Statsrape
Stackrape

Even just using the phrase rape or raped to describe winning by a large margin. I guess the root cause is that competitive games have been a complete sausage fest and to the average young man rape is kind of an irrelevance, it probably won't happen to them, it's an abstract thing that happens to other people (and thinking back, at 13 I didn't have many female friends, so purile discussions always came from a male viewpoint).

It's good that at a pro level at least these things are being addressed (or at least starting to) and it shames me to admit that I spent most of my CS and CS:S career yelling/typing that word at just about every opportunity, I hope it's something that 'gaming' as a hobby slowly grows out of over time, it's not going to change over night that's for sure.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
... So she didn't win the match, I guess?

I'm being facetious, I know. Using that word in that context is foolish and he really should have realized that nothing good would come of it... has he made those kind of posts in the past about other players? Did the other members? She sounds like she was a recent addition to their roster. How many other women have they invited in the past?

The company policy is to not use that language in trash-talking, then so be it- He messed up.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
What an idiot.
Good riddance.
Good to see e-sports disassociating itself from just being a bunch of hormone filled little children who mask their insecurity with bullshit hypermasculinity.

However
roseofbattle said:
"With that said. If you didn't know: joking about rape is never ok. Ever. If you think it is, please unfollow me."
1) This was not a "joke".
2) If you think anything is "off limits" in comedy, you don't understand what comedy is which may be the case if you think "I'm gonna rape some girl" qualifies as a "joke".

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Dumb ass Pro-Level e-sports. Trash talk should not happen anyway. But otherwise thats all it is online gaming trash talk. My only issue is that due to her sex its kinda been blown up abit. Seeing it more then what it is everyday online gaming trash talk. You get your ass kicked "dam dude we got fucked/raped/pwned/annihilated/etc" im sure i dont need to go on. But yeh ban his ass just for talking shit during a pro- match. stupid derp. and to tweet it. even more derp.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
If he said "Gonna go rape some dude" this would not be news worthy and no one would have cared.

Think about that for a minute.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I don't like thrash talking, and it especially makes me sad when I see "pro" gamers do it.

Though I guess since this was a tweet directed to followers maybe it doesn't quite count.. But then again pausing a game to brag about how you're gonna rape your opponent (tbh considering how often I see people say they are gonna rape their opponents in multi games, I don't consider it a gendered insult) in another medium does sound a bit like posing/showing off mixed with smack talking.

Anyways, guy got his just desserts I reckon, though would have been sweeter if she had won the match.

That said:
" If you didn't know: joking about rape is never ok. Ever. If you think it is, please unfollow me."

Sorry but I disagree.
The idea that some things just can't be joked about or is off limits just doesn't sit right with me.

Crumpet Man

Oct 12, 2010
BoogieManFL said:
If he said "Gonna go rape some dude" this would not be news worthy and no one would have cared.

Think about that for a minute.
Considering that there's a few of the Korean players that do pretty much that on a regular basis, and you haven't heard about it, you'd be correct.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Remember a time when competition didn't have to always be "Friendly" sometimes they could get heated and people might say stuff to get the other person on edge, makes me think of all the stuff Tyson used to say...

Go look up his quotes...

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Guy's an idiot; glad he got banned for his piss-poor behavior. And what he said wasn't a "joke" even if he later tries to claim it was. And no, rape is not off limits as far as jokes are concerned. I can appreciate where she's coming from with her comment but it's still misguided.

FogHornG36 said:
Remember a time when competition didn't have to always be "Friendly" sometimes they could get heated and people might say stuff to get the other person on edge, makes me think of all the stuff Tyson used to say...

Go look up his quotes...
I'm not sure if you're driving at the idea that what Tyson used to (and still often does) say is somehow acceptable. As a HUGE fan of boxing (I used to box in the Army) Tyson is just about the last jackass I'd point to as sportsman and say, "Yeah, emulate THAT guy." I get what you're saying about how things used to be different and not always friendly but I"m not sure if you think that it's good or bad that sportsmanship matters more now than it did then. I think we are far better for it.

O-Castitatis-Lilium

Nov 23, 2011
To me, his actions read that he has done this before. The way it way types, the way it was worded, all seem like something he has done in the past. He seemed comfortable in his trash talking and again, it reads as if it's something he's done before and hasn't had any repercussions for. The only difference now, is that it's a girl. There was no thought put into what he typed because, this type of trash talk had not gotten him into trouble before. He figured it was fine, in the sense that he has said stiff like this to is opponents before. For them to disqualify him for it because it was towards a girl just shows the double standard that is going on now.

While I don't agree with any sort of trash talk happening in games and on a professional level, towards anyone, if this was truly an issue before and they were doing disqualifications to show that they will not tolerate such trash talk, he would have already known this and not tried to trash talk anything towards his opponent. This seems like something the company and the tournament runners are doing just to cover their ass and not have the girl try to pull a whole, this is sexist thing. Granted, the girl doesn't really seem like that type of girl but, with the way some of these...what can I call them even...women are going about all this crap, I'm not surprised they are assuming the worst of her and are afraid of it happening. They should have started disqualifying people from the beginning of the whole game tournaments thing at the beginning, and not only started now because it happened towards a woman.

As for the tournament thing being sexist and targeted and advertised to only men, It's not stopping women form joining. Just because your target audience is targeted towards a male demographic, doesn't mean that women are forbidden to join. I mean, as much as I hate to use this as an example (I will more than likely be bum rushed for it all lol)take my little pony as an example. Their target audience is for little girls that are between the ages of 5 and possibly 11. Their ads and merchandise are all targeted towards them, they have little girls playing with the toys in the commercials, they have nightgowns and everything targeted towards them. Though this doesn't stop little boys and even grown men from participating in watching the show or even collecting and playing with the toys. If having the whole games tournament industry be called sexist just because it has a preferred target audience, then, by the same logic, my little pony is sexist as well.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
He should have said "Gonna beat down a girl in a game of Starcraft 2!", not this off-color rape comment.

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
Framing this as "Just another way the eSports community pushes women away" is stupid editorializing. His behavior was unprofessional and caddish, but making a bigger deal out of it because it was in reference to a woman is simply another form of sexism.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
roseofbattle said:
Hayda's comment is just one example of how the eSports community pushes women away.
No. If you had said that things like this is one of the reasons women feel pushed away from the e-sports community, you would be right as that is a factual statement. By saying that the e-sports community pushes away women, you've just called me and millions of others who had nothing to do with this sexist assholes. Blanket statements like that has to be kept out of any article ever, because they are literally always wrong when referring to a large group of people.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
8BitArchitect said:
Framing this as "Just another way the eSports community pushes women away" is stupid editorializing. His behavior was unprofessional and caddish, but making a bigger deal out of it because it was in reference to a woman is simply another form of sexism.
You're right, it seems kinda sexist to me too that people report this shit everytime it happens while any heavy trash talk between male professionals gets ignored. Because it implies that we women should be treated differently. That insults me as a woman who wants equality. Can't we just agree that we shouldn't be dicks to each other (especially in a professional context), no matter the gender, and leave it as that?

Nope! Better write an article about eSports/Starcraft-drama that the actual community already moved on from... that involved two lesser known and (no offense) not very successfull players... for a website not really related to that. Just because a man was mean to a woman.

Le sigh.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
I am 100% sure that guy wouldn't have been banned if he had tweeted the exact same thing against a male player. A few people may have said "well that's immature" but it would've been shrugged off.

Mihaylo's biggest mistake here was not realizing he was playing against a female and anything he said/did would have 10x bigger consequences. Also I'm pretty sure people were looking to make an example out of someone.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
All I can thing is

Great day one she an outcast and people will use this to show women will come in and mess it up. So more of the male only competition will close tighter. Hate to say it this does not fix the problem it makes it worst. Maybe if she shot back about him or something showed she one of the gang not an outsider forced in for PC reasons more women would be welcome in the future. Now other will see this as a women who got special treatment.