StarCraft 2 Tournament Boots Player for Rape Comment

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Fine, I'll be the one to say it.

Trash talk is okay. Rape in the context of competitive gaming means defeat by a huge margin. It's obviously not a threat.

If it were up to me, I'd allow this kind of talk, even against a woman. Freedom of speech to trump over quickly wounded egos.
The consequence of being an asshole should be that people will think and say you're an asshole and that knowledge can only benefit people. Everybody wins and everybody grows a thicker skin as an added bonus.

The only real mistake the guy made is that he should have known he was playing in a nanny environment.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Think it was the right thing to kick him out. Professionalism is a part of sports and if you can't keep up that part you don't belong in professional sports.

But like others said I do disagree that it's never okay to joke about rape.

It's a bit more subtle than that.

Making jokes is hard.
Making jokes to a large audience exponentially so.
Making jokes about heavy subjects exponentially so again.

So when making jokes about a subject like rape you better make sure that:
1. The size of your audience can be counted on a single hand and only includes people whom you know extremely well.
2. You're a world-renowned comedian who's an absolute master at setting up the right context and reading his/her audience.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Phasmal said:
Honestly, I'm glad that he was disqualified. It shows we're still working to make eSports better, and that people are willing to take action to do so.

I'm not sure what kind of person thinks that this sort of thing is okay. It's stupid and it makes us all look bad. It certainly doesn't help anything.

But I'm going to leave before all the angry people show up and say it's wrong to punish people for doing things.
With respect I get the impression from the quote that he means rape in the gaming sense "I'm going to kick their ass" rather than the sexual version. I may be wrong but I wonder if this was a case of someone not expecting to have to tip toe around phrases he would normally use on other players just because she's a girl.

Smilomaniac said:
This story is actually just another example of how people put meaning into words that aren't there.
It's wholly subjective how offensive this comment is and how people react to this banter being in a professional setting, but if there was ever one where you very well knew that it was nothing more than banter, it would be esports.

Saying that women can't stand up to this kind of offensive language is a disservice to them, it's not helpful.

I'm very dissapointed, that after months of #GamerGate we still see these kind of opinionated articles.
Here's a tip to avoid this pitfall; Genderflip it. If a woman said something equally stupid, would there be this big an uproar over it?

I doubt it and there would certainly be a lot more people there to defend this harmless bit of stupidity.
In that case, you know that you're pandering to the PC crowd and not being very professional about writing an article.

Absolutely dissapointing.
I'm glad I'm not the only one to see it that way.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Towards the whole "if he said it to a guy it would've been cool" aspect. This is something you don't say to a woman(much less tweet about it) unless you know her very and know shes cool with it, thats just common fucking sense. This is like making a holocaust joke infront of a random jewish dude, yeah some might be cool with it but this is just some shit you don't do.

I realy wonder how fucking alienated from normal human interaction this guy must be to think this behavior is cool.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Well, this has already been covered, but I'll sum it up again:

1. Joking about stuff like rape isn't necessarily taboo, but that doesn't mean you can be flippant and careless. I mean, lots of people apparently use the word "rape" to mean "quickly ROFLstomp", but it's not a word I use casually.

2. This wasn't "just" trashtalk. The idiot paused a competitive game with the person he was referring to so he could post the comment on Twitter, and even used the hashtag of the event he was in. Even if he used a different choice of words or posted something that wasn't even trashtalk... or yes, if his opponent wasn't a woman... that's very unprofessional behavior, and really not acceptable.

Anyway, it's a little thing, but I'd much rather people scrambling for an excuse would say "I didn't mean literally" rather than "It was a joke", as if they were trying to be funny.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Kas shouldn't have used that word. He's in the position of having a public persona, and we're very ready to burn these public personas in effigy for using words that we don't like. He should have known this. And the tournament was right to issue a disqualification because that seems to accord with the repressive public mood.

However, that doesn't make any of this not trivial bullshit. It is obvious what Kas meant in context to the people he was actually addressing: he was going to win very convincingly his matches. It's a metaphor, just like 'kill', 'murder', 'destroy', and so on. Kas is not some horrible person. This does not constitute evidence of him being any kind of misogynist. To reach that interpretation, we have to construct from very slim pickings. We use over-the-top hyperbolic metaphors to describe things: rape just happens to be a sexual one. And it is more than a little strange that it is the sexual rather than the violent aspect of it that seems to distinguish it from other uses of language.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
On the one hand, that's pretty unprofessional behavior, especially in pausing the match to post the tweet.

On the other hand, this thread devolved into a glorious double-standard brouhaha virtually instantaneously.

As others have said:

"Rape" in the context of a game is standardized vernacular and doesn't magically change meaning because one competitor has lady bits.

If it had been about a male player, no one would have uttered a word.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Y'know, it's funny. A lot of people here are saying "if this was said about a male competitor, nobody would care"... and then instead of finishing "...and that's wrong too", they say "...so nobody should care about her either".

Imagine if a linebacker said that during an interview; he'd be lucky to have a career afterwards. eSports seems to want the same level of attention and respect as traditional sports, but it's not going to get there if its participants still hide behind the "boys will be boys" rationale. Part of being "professional" means "acting like an adult".

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, come on, Starcraft fans... You had one job, ONE JOB! 'Do not make rape comments', and you blew it!

Hang your heads in shame.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
FalloutJack said:
Oh, come on, Starcraft fans... You had one job, ONE JOB! 'Do not make rape comments', and you blew it!

I could be wrong, but last time I checked the "one job" of Starcraft fans/players was to...you know...play Starcraft.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Aaron Sylvester said:
FalloutJack said:

I could be wrong, but last time I checked the "one job" of Starcraft fans/players was to...you know...play Starcraft.
No no no! That's recreation.

(Also, I am sort of taking the piss out of things a bit.)

EDIT: Actually, in Korea, SC is a way of life, isn't it?

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
FalloutJack said:

Indeed :p

As I said earlier, the only mistake (and a very stupid mistake at that) this guy did was make such a comment against a FEMALE player.

Publicly talking that way to female players in these times is just asking to get made an example out of.

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
I'm one of those people that never takes anything on the Internet seriously nor do I take anything a competitor says seriously, but that was just an outright retarded thing to do. He took the time to pause the game to post a tweet (first clue this kid isn't the brightest) and then proceeded to act like the typical 12-year old Halo screamer to his opponent? Not only is he a childish moron, he is a poor sport at that. I rarely take rape/sexism/racist/bigot/etc. jokes seriously, but he should have been banned from future tournaments for that type of shit.

If you want to act like a kid in middle school, you shouldn't be allowed to participate in a professional atmosphere.

When I played competitive L4D2 and TF2, this type of behavior would have been an immediate ejection from the team as well as permanent ban from future tournaments. If anyone remembers the TLR fiasco (TF2 player stole his own team's trophy and refused to give it back once caught), he was removed from the following year's tournament due to his actions and he just broke into his team captain's room and stole his own trophy.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Areloch said:
"Rape" in the context of a game is standardized vernacular and doesn't magically change meaning because one competitor has lady bits.
Well for all practical purposes it DOES change meaning. This event proved beyond a doubt that certain words DO change meaning when used against female players.

Right now "sexism" is all about context and entirely depends on the genders of the victim/offender.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Aaron Sylvester said:
FalloutJack said:

Indeed :p

As I said earlier, the only mistake (and a very stupid mistake at that) this guy did was make such a comment against a FEMALE player.

Publicly talking that way to female players in these times is just asking to get made an example out of.
Nah, I say punish 'em for talking rape to men too. Men don't wanna be raped anymore than women do! (It's just plain wrong, yo.)

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Dragonlayer said:
Between this, that Labour politician in the UK losing her job and really, just about everything ever said by anyone ever involved in or opposed to GamerGate, it continues to boggle my mind as to how incredibly stupid people are in regard to making statements on social media. It will be found, it will be saved and it will come back to bite you in the arse!
This, thisthisthisthis. After everyone's favorite hashtag movement revealed how in bed games media is with Tumblresque social justice* scene I'm surprised people will be this loose-lipped with comments like that.

Unrelated: This is why I started using the word "suplex" as a verb more.

Unrelatedx2: It'd be lovely if Escapist news people at least pretended to separate what they copy from other sites with their opinions. Maybe have a divider line between dedicated paragraphs or something.

*- Not saying that's a good/bad thing; its just true.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
This raises a few questions.

Would it have been the same if he said:
"Gonna rape some girl in StarCraft 2 soon"
"Gonna kill some girl soon"
"Gonna kill some girl in StarCraft 2 soon"

Or if it was a male opponent:
"Gonna rape some guy soon"
"Gonna rape some guy in StarCraft 2 soon"
"Gonna kill some guy soon"

This also begs the question, would the even organisers have DQ'd him if he she took it as shitty trash talk? And would the answer to this change if it was a guy?

Not that I'm saying they did the wrong thing (I'm on the fence on this issue), I'm just curious how this scenarios would have played out with some slight changes.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Not really sure anything was fair here. Trash talk has always been around and in all competitions. Makes me wonder if Hayda was actually showing true equality.

The only thing I'm sure of is there are many looking out to demonise people they disagree with. Just look at the fucking ESA comet thread.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:
Areloch said:
Well for all practical purposes it DOES change meaning. This event proved beyond a doubt that certain words DO change meaning when used against female players.

Right now "sexism" is all about context and entirely depends on the genders of the victim/offender.
Well, I guess all my female gamer friends must have not been invited to that meeting, because they use "Rape" in the same manner at least as much as I or the next gamer does.

Honestly, this is probably another case of "you only hear about it because someone actually complained", and Internet 'journalism' ran with it for the drama.