Starcraft 2: Will you pay full price for 1/3 of a game?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
s0denone said:
Xanadu84 said:
Way to approach it like an asshole.

Metaphors are never perfect. The point is that expecting someone to charge the same for 3 times the stuff is downright silly, and I think your being purposefully obtuse here.

Also, that is, in fact, the way that things are sold. Like, in the actual economy. Cheaper in bulk gives incentive to buy more.

And finally, buy any single game, and you get the complete multiplayer experience. Meaning that you get the most bang for your buck on the smaller purchase, making your metaphor nonsense.
Oh dear lord we have a winner.

Look at the bolded statement.

Look at it again.

Now tell me if Blizzard aren't doing the exact opposite.
Your right. They are doing the exact opposite. They are giving much greater value to the first game a person buys, by giving all 3 races in multiplayer no matter which you buy. That way, you would have to be a complete IDIOT to believe that they are screwing anyone out of content...

Oh wait...

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Percutio said:
Cody211282 said:
igissx said:
i think the main reason people are getting up in arms with the whole 3 part thing, is that the game has been waited for over 10 years, and in 10 years you only get the full game, but no expansion packs in sight...I belive they shouldve had done something like Valve did with the Orange Box, and when you bought S.C 2, you maybe get something like S.C 1 or Diablo or something like that for free
But if Blizzard was anything like Valve they wouldn't have merged with Activision and brought around the rise of the Antichrist of gaming. Plus Blizzard was a company I lost respect for a long time ago.
You realize they were merged because the parent company wanted to simplify its book keeping right?

It was (I believe) Vivendi: Blizzard, Activision and now it is Vivendi: Activision-Blizzard

In reality nothing has changed.

Another thing to note, if there had been all three campaigns in one game, then each campaign would have been quiet small and the game would have taken a long time to release. So in that regard I'm just glad I have solid multiplayer to enjoy during the wait.
As I said before I haven't liked Blizzard in a long time. Also i don't play multiplayer, so how does that help me to wait for the last 2/3rds of the game.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
Your right. They are doing the exact opposite. They are giving much greater value to the first game a person buys, by giving all 3 races in multiplayer no matter which you buy. That way, you would have to be a complete IDIOT to believe that they are screwing anyone out of content...

Oh wait...
Except, you know, that there will be multiplayer goodies in each of the "expansions", right?
What could that mean? I need to consult the oracle, because surely it couldn't mean that people who didn't get the two expansions would be shit out of luck in multiplayer, right? Right!?!?

Come on, man :) Get your head in the game.

That is if they even allow people who purchase the "expansions" to play against those who don't have them. We all know how Diablo II vs. Diablo II:LoD, and WCIII vs. WCIII:TFT turned out online.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Nimzabaat said:
I know this may be a rehash but honestly, dividing one game into three parts and selling each part for full price? Blizzard you greedy bastards. The next step is releasing Diablo in four parts because you have to buy each class. (I hope Blizzard isn't reading this and going "hey, great idea!"). Am i buying Starcraft 2? Yes. When they release all three campaigns in one box and it's under 60 dollars. Until then, plenty of good games out there.
Yes, I will buy each 1/3 of a game that's 3 games in one for full price each.

Cody211282

Apr 25, 2009
Tharwen said:
alfonzo said:
nerds have tons of money from their geek squad jobs so i would count on them buying all 94 60$ games for each unit they will make forever,how bout you just pick a new hobby like being handsome or funny so girls will be attracted to you?
So... after almost 2 years, you log in again just to make that statement?

Why?
He's sorta making a point but being a complete ass about it, I would say most gamers are willing to shell out more money then normal people would for something, and Blizzard seems intent on taking advantage of their fan base.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
s0denone said:
Xanadu84 said:

Oh wait...
Except, you know, that there will be multiplayer goodies in each of the "expansions", right?
What could that mean? I need to consult the oracle, because surely it couldn't mean that people who didn't get the two expansions would be shit out of luck in multiplayer, right? Right!?!?

That is if they even allow people who purchase the "expansions" to play against those who don't have them. We all know how Diablo II vs. Diablo II:LoD, and WCIII vs. WCIII:TFT turned out online.
Okay, substantiate that claim.

PopperThingi

Mar 25, 2009
s0denone said:
Xanadu84 said:

Oh wait...

Just a heads up: It's still Blizzard we are talking about. How long do you think will take them to develop each expansion? A year? And a half? Probably even more. So you get the original game probably for long enough for you to leave it behind by the time the expansions hit the shelves. And if you do dig it enough not to, I guess you can spare an expansion price to keep it going...

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
30+ Missions per race...yeah, I'm gonna get it just like it is, one at a time, then wait until the next batch. Not all of us give half a shit about the intensive multiplayer, some of us just want that excellent story to continue as it has done. Did we ***** and moan and still pay full price for three games in any other series? God of War? Uncharted? Gears of War? Halo? Civilization? Fallout? Yes, yes we did. Why? Because we liked the games, and wanted to see them continue. And who knew, each of them were full games...gasp! Oh no! We've been duped all along!

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Essentially:

You'll take what Blizzard/Activision gives you and LIKE IT because you are a fanboy, thus giving Blizzard/Activision free reign to charge whatever the hell they want because you will totally buy it anyway because...

OMG IT'S TEH STARCRAFTZ TWOZ!!!@!@!@!

Thus giving Blizzard/Activision the gumption and money they need to keep being the biggest assholes in the videogame industry. Congrats everyone!

Potato21

Dec 17, 2009
The campaign is going to be 30 hours long! Factor in at least 30 hours of MP, and you've got at least $1 per hour. Its not 1/3 of a game as said before either.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
Okay, substantiate that claim.
http://eu.starcraft2.com/faq.xml

For your pleasure:
[HEADING=2]How will the expansion sets impact multiplayer gameplay?[/HEADING] The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates.
Anything else? :)
Wulby said:
Just a heads up: It's still Blizzard we are talking about. How long do you think will take them to develop each expansion? A year? And a half? Probably even more. So you get the original game probably for long enough for you to leave it behind by the time the expansions hit the shelves. And if you do dig it enough not to, I guess you can spare an expansion price to keep it going...
So you're telling me it's going to be like World of Warcraft. How is that reassuring?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
John Funk said:
No, I'm paying full price for a full game that happens to be the first third of a story. You know, like Mass Effect, only with awesome multiplayer that will give you probably hundreds of hours of entertainment beyond the main 20-30 hour campaign for free.

Did you yell at Peter Jackson for making you pay full price for 1/3 of a movie? What's that? You didn't?
What he said.

Boober the Pig

Sep 8, 2008
This trick of dividing the game into 3 parts has been done before with terrible results. Shining Force III was divided into three parts, one for each faction. Only one was released in the US because of low sales numbers. At the end of that the general feeling was that the games were good as stand alone games but the idea that you were buying an incomplete game made it seem like you were getting less than you should have. Had Starcraft II been advertised as a multiplayer game that included a single player campaign from on of the factions it would not be so controversial. If you are buying for the multiplayer, you get that and a single player game thrown in. If you want all three single player campaigns, wait for a deal that includes all three. The deals always come and unlike the multiplayer environment, the single player will only get better, with bug fixes and extra content, over time.

ShotgunShaman

Apr 1, 2009
What's going to happen is that some generous dude out there is going to get all three and just make a UMS map for each mission. Just download each mission for free a bit after each expansion comes out.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Cody211282 said:
John Funk said:
Did you yell at Peter Jackson for making you pay full price for 1/3 of a movie? What's that? You didn't?
Movies aren't $60 though.
A movie won't give you 20 hours of singleplayer and a hundred+ hours of multiplayer.

In fact, if we assume that every movie is 2 hours long (it isn't), a movie ticket would have to only be $6 to give you the same value per hour. Last I checked, movie tickets are more expensive than that.

Eremiel

Apr 24, 2008
Blizzard've grown into one of the greediest companies out there.

Where else do you find an MMO that you need to buy the game for (can't download the client for free) and that has both a monthly subscription AND plenty of premium services that cost cash (both in-game and out-of-game services/items)?

People'll buy SC2. Three times. And sing Blizzard's praises while doing so.

I'm fairly certain it won't be long before some random fanboy calls me ignorant/stupid/uninformed or tries to justify all of the premium services in WoW.